Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

Oh Defender-I'm so sorry you're dealing with such swelling. Are you bruised or are you inflamed?
Keeping positive thoughts for you!
Thanks.
My knee is a little bruised also my inner thigh is sore to touch and my shin is also sore to touch
I know this is a brutal op as I had a epidural.
I believe they gave me a light sedation but they don't seem to work with me wide awake for the 90 minute op.
The noise and hamering is certainly going to leave us with pain and swelling
But this one unlike my other knee replacement is certainly a different experience.
 
Defender, that looks so rough- I feel so bad for you-this is so hard on our poor knees- I mourn my old legs, they were wonderful while they lasted-you are getting some good advice on here-this site helps me so much- I have been going backwards for the past week, I am 8 weeks out and I spent most of this weekend just icing and elevating it and I feel so much better, I was thinking they were ruined, but it was just me doing way too much, to soon- I am not going to do any PT this week or work my 2 machines- My knee has spoken!
 
Maybe you should contact your orthopedic Dr?
 
@Defender.....please be sure to read the guidance CricketHip gave you in post #69 of your thread. She offered some lymphatic massage movements that could be a big help to you. You also need to be doing LOTS of icing and elevating your knee when you're not up and moving about. Reducing that swelling needs to be your number one priority.
 
@Jewlz1 ... Defender is in the United Kingdom and things work differently there with their National Health System. Normally when a person is released from the hospital they are discharged to their General Practitioner for any after care. So, it wouldn't work to try and contact the surgeon about any questions on swelling.
 
Thanks @Jamie. Defender you probably think I'm a kooky American!
 
Many thanks for all your advice.
Based on the great deal of knowledge here I have taken the advice and cancelled my physio sesion.
I did call the number I was given if I had any concerns post op
All they said was keep elevating and icing
I do worry as this has gone on so long without any improvement if I will ever get my R O M back
Please give me reassurance that it will return.
 
When the swelling goes down the ROM will improve. Work on reducing that swelling!
 
When the swelling goes down the ROM will improve. Work on reducing that swelling!
Thanks I am elevating and icing and only doing walking as necessary.
I am not doing any exercises.
I just worry that the longer I have no bend that by the time I the swelling goes I will struggle to get a good R O M.
 
I did not start my on-site PT until about 21 days in (only had light home PT). My ROM was good later, but I did do some gentle, but determined bending in bed. Actually my knee wanted to BEND early on. Extension was to come later with help of my PT, but everyone is different.
 
I did not start my on-site PT until about 21 days in (only had light home PT). My ROM was good later, but I did do some gentle, but determined bending in bed. Actually my knee wanted to BEND early on. Extension was to come later with help of my PT, but everyone is different.
Mine just feels like it's incased in concrete.
So frustrating no improvement at all.
My life just seems like sitting elevating and icing.
I thought my other one was bad because of a previous accident even the surgeon the next morning said that was horendous.
But I thought this one was going to be a lot better how wrong was I.
 
Maybe try some in bed movement for you initial PT. There are youtubes of many... most very gentle. I recall my knee and leg (TOGETHER) feeling like they were 'incased' in pain per any quarter inch of most movements. I had to push thru the pain to get much motion during that time. But I didn't rush it.

Every TKR is unique. Do you have a Yoga strap (the fabric kind you can create a bottom loop with - less than $10 on Amazon)? I used that to move my pained 'LOG' like leg early on. As I could not bear the pain of moving it on its own. Seemed the strap pressure on my foot helped me not think about knee/ leg pain and gave me leverage to assist in the small movements. Then I was using the strap less and less.

As I said in another post going to PT helped me set up a regimen of things to try out/ goals. I wouldn't have been as disciplined on my own despite my gym patterns before TKR. But you just can't rush it.
 
While pushing through pain can work for some people it is not advisable, nor is it necessary, in this recovery. Our knees will be able to bend when the swelling goes down and healing takes place and our leg relaxes from the surgical assault.
 
While pushing through pain can work for some people it is not advisable in this recovery. Our knees will be able to bend when the swelling goes down and healing takes place and our leg relaxes from the surgical assault.
Thanks
I did call the number that was given me to call for concerns post op.
They just said to keep elevating and icing.
I have an appointment for the 27th this month for a revision which is possible I may see the surgeon.
But as you say while this swelling is there I can't get a R O M.
After 5 weeks it's very frustrating and does seem to be a long time with no signs of improving.
 
After 5 weeks it's very frustrating and does seem to be a long time with no signs of improving.
Yes, I’m sure it’s very frustrating as well as concerning. It’s good to keep in contact with your doctor.
 
Do you have a Yoga strap (the fabric kind you can create a bottom loop with - less than $10 on Amazon)?
We recommend not using a strap to pull your leg to try and get a better bend. All that does is aggravate your already aggravated soft tissues. Listen to your doctor and ice and elevate until you see him on the 27th.
 
a
Do you have a Yoga strap (the fabric kind you can create a bottom loop with - less than $10 on Amazon)?
We recommend not using a strap to pull your leg to try and get a better bend. All that does is aggravate your already aggravated soft tissues. Listen to your doctor and ice and elevate until you see him on the 27th.
No don't worry I won't be using any type of force
All I am doing is elevating icing and walking as necessary.
My appointment is next week and its at the hostpital where my op was done
I am seeing one of my surgeons team member and hopefully l may get to see my surgeon.
If I remember right from my last T K R that's what happened last time.
Quite worried that still very swollen with no signs of improvement.
 
I pray that swelling will hurry up and go down. Have you tried the Lymphatic Drainage yet? That is supposed to be very helpful in reducing swelling.
 
I pray that swelling will hurry up and go down. Have you tried the Lymphatic Drainage yet? That is supposed to be very helpful in reducing swelling.
Thanks yes I have given that a try.
I keep going back to that post to remember how to do it.
Today still very swollen and obviously skin very tight which is obviously my problem.
I am hoping my appointment isn't cancelled due to the virus situation but as this is a private hostpital I may be ok.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom