Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

I never had a drain after any of my surgeries. Usually swelling comes from inadequate icing and elevating, along with doing too much.
 
I never had a drain after my surgery nor did I have any PT until the end of the 2nd week (by my own choice) as my surgeon actually said it wasn't necessary and the movement and bend would come once swelling ceased.
Try and cut back, seriously Elevate and Ice frequently to reduce the swelling all that you are doing is putting yourself into a catch 22 position- unfortunately a lot of the PT train mostly with Sports Injuries nd have little experience with replacements - recently I was in the UK and my brothers PT specialist tried to give a whole new set of quad exercises....Lol I politely declined my knee is doing fine in its own time.
You'll get there in your own time scale xx
 
Thanks sara61.
I was giving a phone number to call if I had any post op concerns which I contacted this morning.
I said I seem to have hit a brick wall with my R O M she said we are all individuals and recover in our own time.
She also said I should speak to my physiotherapist next time which is next Tuesday.
I am sure when I had my other knee done in 2018 I had a fairly good R O M at this stage.
But as I have seen here that every T K R on the same person are different.
Just feeling low which is why I come back here for reassurance
 
I am now into my 5th week and am really starting to feel very low I actually burst out crying last night
I seem to be getting nowhere elevating and icing and still I have virtually no bend.
My knee looks swollen and feels tight.
At 5 weeks I should be seeing some improvement but nothing.
Felling as low as I can ever remember and depressed.
My physio is next Tuesday.
 
I am now into my 5th week and am really starting to feel very low I actually burst out crying last night
Reread this article:
Some of us swell more than others, that’s just the way it is. I know it’s really hard to be patient, but you are still in what we call “the angry tissue stage” and it just takes time for all that angry tissue to settle down and heal.

Continue to address the swelling, and gradually it will come down. More exercises are going to upset it further, so be firm with your physio that you are not going to further upset your knee. It’s your knee, not his.
 
Instead of taking PT right now I think you need to concentrate and getting the swelling and pain down. Doing repetitive exercises will just cause your inflamed tissues to become more inflamed then swell and hurt even more. That will set your recovery back. All you knee needs is gentle movements, ice and elevation. Are you icing at least 45 minutes at a time? Ice is a great pain reducer. Are you elevating correctly, toes above your heart? I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or laying down for at least the first few months. This kept my swelling and pain down. I'm single, so I still had to take care of things around the house and myself, but I always iced and elevated much more than was active. My ROM came in all on its own. I never did exercises or PT.
 
I had a drain both times, no swelling last time, but this time my whole leg was swollen and is still, although weirdly it doesn't seem to affect my bend.
 
Many thanks for the replys much appreciated.
I am elevating and icing but I think I may need to step it up a bit.
I have my next physio next Tuesday and I may contact them and say as my leg is swollen and don't want excesive exercises.
I know as I have seen on here no two T K R s are the same even on the same person.
I have now found how true this is as my other one was totally different I had a lot of pain as expected but didn't have to fight for thre R O M it came by just walking as necessary.
 
How am I supposed to get a bend with this.
The swelling just seems to not be improving. I am icing and elevating most of the day

.
20200308_102625.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How does it compare to your other leg? My right leg is still much larger than my left, but the doctor I saw said it wasn't unusual and should resolve in due course -.however long that is! The difference is that I can bend mine easily. Hopefully one of the moderators will be along to give you more advice. It's frustrating when it's preventing you doing things.
 
Hi lindylee.
Yes it's quite a bit larger than my right knee.
At least I have a kneecap that I can see on my right knee.
 
How does it compare to your other leg? My right leg is still much larger than my left, but the doctor I saw said it wasn't unusual and should resolve in due course -.however long that is! The difference is that I can bend mine easily. Hopefully one of the moderators will be along to give you more advice. It's frustrating when it's preventing you doing things.
Having gone through another day of icing and elevating and this seems to be my life now with no advantage.
I have an appointment next Tuesday to see the physiotherapist I am going to call to say I don't want any physiotherapy on this knee until I get the the swelling down.
I am hoping they will make an appointment to see someone that can help me as I am getting nowhere and it's really getting me down now.
 
Hi @Defender! I think you're making a wise choice to wait on PT. Icing and elevation have been the name of the game for me. I didn't ice today at all and my knee was so achey. I just finished up icing and it made a huge difference for me. If you still decide not to go to PT next Tuesday be prepared, you may have to stand your ground. Hopefully not, but my PT had a way of convincing me to come in before I even realized what they were doing! :groan:
 
Hi @Defender! I think you're making a wise choice to wait on PT. Icing and elevation have been the name of the game for me. I didn't ice today at all and my knee was so achey. I just finished up icing and it made a huge difference for me. If you still decide not to go to PT next Tuesday be prepared, you may have to stand your ground. Hopefully not, but my PT had a way of convincing me to come in before I even realized what they were doing! :groan:
I have made my mind up there will no P T this is the last thing I need as it will do nothing only make things worse.
This is why when I call them I want no P T.
It's not going to happen.
 
Ugh! That has to be frustrating! Are you using ice packs or an icing machine?
 
Ugh! That has to be frustrating! Are you using ice packs or an icing machine?
I am using ice packs and jell packs.
The same as I used when I had my other knee replacement in 2018.
 
I missed that this is your second TKR. I like the gel packs best.
 
See if your therapist or someone in the therapy practice is proficient in lymphatic massage. That can help with swelling sometimes. Since you're in the UK, you've probably been released to your GP and that's who you should contact if you continue to have this level of swelling.

How about your activity level. What does a typical day look like for you. Are you doing exercises, errands, household chores, walking more than just around the house every hour or two? Is your knee hot?

Definitely up the icing and elevating with toes above the nose. You should ice at least 45 minutes 3-5 times a day. Be sure to put a towel between you and the ice source to prevent skin damage.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom