Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

Hi Andypandy.
Yes my physiotherapist wanted me back again next week that will be a session every week.
He is very young he doesn't put you at ease and makes you feel as though you are not trying.
I am also going with the advice given here.
 
You know yourself better than anyone. You know your capabilities....trust yourself. When it all comes down to brass tacks, you only have yourself that understands how you feel. Each day is different. Each pain, each accomplishment is yours and yours only.
 
I am nearly 4 weeks post op L T K R.
I seem to be stuck at 70 degree R O M.
I am doing all my exercises and icing but I seem to have hit a brick wall it feels as if it's never going to improve and is really getting me down now to the point that I feel I wish I had never gone through with the op.
My next physio is on the 17th and to be honest he just makes me feel as though I am too far behind at this stage
I now worry how I am I going to get past this.
My knee is still quite swollen
Felling so low at the moment.
 
The reason your ROM is at 70 is because your knee is still quite swollen at the moment. When the swelling goes down your knee will bend.

Often we are given too many exercises to do, which either maintains, or increases, our swelling.

Instead of doing “all your exercises,” just do some gentle bends and short walks. Spend the rest of your time icing and elevating your leg, which will help the swelling go down.


Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Try to ignore your PT who obviously missed the class on “everyone recovers from knee replacement at different timeframes.” Often they expect everyone to be the same. We are not.

Also remember there is no “window of opportunity.”
 
The reason your ROM is at 70 is because your knee is still quite swollen at the moment. When the swelling goes down your knee will bend.

Often we are given too many exercises to do, which either maintains, or increases, our swelling.

Instead of doing “all your exercises,” just do some gentle bends and short walks. Spend the rest of your time icing and elevating your leg, which will help the swelling go down.


Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
Many thanks for your reply it gives me great encouragement.
Yes my knee is really swollen still
The physiotherapists don't seem to take this into account.
I needed reassurance and find this is the place to come
 
I agree with Jockette. Your TKR is still very new. I was so-called 'behind' in my Physical Therapy as I was so rest broken from severe insomnia I only got into it third week or so, after my home PT work. Your flexion/ extension improvement continues well past what most PTs/ Physios say.

I added a few extra PT session on my own. All done. I continue to improve the more I do my own stretching at this point. Once the swelling goes and your knee settles down movement will improve.
 
I agree with Jockette. Your TKR is still very new. I was so-called 'behind' in my Physical Therapy as I was so rest broken from severe insomnia I only got into it third week or so, after my home PT work. Your flexion/ extension improvement continues well past what most PTs/ Physios say.

I added a few extra PT session on my own. All done. I continue to improve the more I do my own stretching at this point. Once the swelling goes and your knee settles down movement will improve.
Thanks for u our reply.
My surgeon was the same one that done my other T K R in 2018 which I am very pleased with.
For some reason he doesn't fit a drain off now after surgery could this be why my knee is so swollen.!!
 
Hi Defender. Am really sorry your physio is making you feel like you're some sort of failure. Listen to the advice of those on here who've been where you are. As the other wise Bonesmarties have advised - this needs to be taken at your own pace.

I learned a valuable lesson through initially expecting my Husband (who had a LTKR on 06 Feb) to be "up and doing" in accordance with the medical advice. I put him through an uncomfortable two days post-op, poor soul, urging him to get moving, until I found Bonesmart and actually began to learn about the recovery process. [Boy, was my face red!]

I really hope you can just relax and focus on healing rather than getting too fixated on the range of movement you are or aren't exhibiting as yet. I believe it will do you the most good long term by going at your own pace.
 
Hi Defender. Am really sorry your physio is making you feel like you're some sort of failure. Listen to the advice of those on here who've been where you are. As the other wise Bonesmarties have advised - this needs to be taken at your own pace.

I learned a valuable lesson through initially expecting my Husband (who had a LTKR on 06 Feb) to be "up and doing" in accordance with the medical advice. I put him through an uncomfortable two days post-op, poor soul, urging him to get moving, until I found Bonesmart and actually began to learn about the recovery process. [Boy, was my face red!]

I really hope you can just relax and focus on healing rather than getting too fixated on the range of movement you are or aren't exhibiting as yet. I believe it will do you the most good long term by going at your own pace.
Thanks I had my R T K R in 2018 strange how soon you forget what we go through.
Back then I would find a great source of information here.
And would sit in bed in agony going through posts here.
Luckily this time around I haven't had too much problem sleeping.
I am going to take the advice here and not let the physiotherapists push and pull me about and do things I am not comfortable with.
 
I am going to take the advice here and not let the physiotherapists push and pull me about and do things I am not comfortable with.
Stay strong in controlling your PT sessions. I bet most PTs have never had their knee replaced so they have no idea what we go through, although one would think, with all the patients they have that are recovering from knee replacement, that they would figure out that it’s no picnic and that we are all different.

This is yet another reason that I won’t be having formal PT if I ever do this again. I will do my own rehab at home and recover better than I did this time around, without all the set backs that my PTs caused me.
 
Thanks Jockette
The young physiotherapist I have been put with after being taken out of my group and have had the misfortune to be be having now on a one to one is the one who came round the day after my op.
When he tried to bend my leg then I asked him if he had attended a knee replacement surgery he said no.
To which I replied you really should.
So we didn't get off to a good start from the beginning.
 
He is not the right person for you. There is no reason a PT has to bend your knee for you. Mine did the same thing, at one week post op, and I was not expecting it. Though he pushed slowly, he just kept pushing my knee into a bend. I hung onto the table I was laying on, with all my strength, which gave me pain in my left shoulder. I had continued excruciating pain for several days before I called my surgeon, and after an X-ray of my shoulder, I was diagnosed with acute tendinitis in my shoulder. All because of a treatment that was not even necessary. So, don’t let him bend your knee again. He is not the authority, you are, since it’s your knee.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
You're right - we do forget about pain. I had an intra articular comminuted distal fracture of my right wrist in October (broke right at the joint in a few places). It was incredibly painful, yet now, apart from pre existing arthritis and a tightness when rotating my wrist (ie turning car ignition key) it all seems like a distant memory. Just as well we have the ability to do so:)
 
I am doing all my exercises and icing but I seem to have hit a brick wall it feels as if it's never going to improve
These exercises are keeping your knee swollen which keeps the keep from bending. Can you bend a water hose that's full of water? The knee is the same way. What the best thing for this recovering knee is icing, elevating toes above your heart and lots of rest. All the exercise it needs is walking around the house during the daily activities of taking care of your needs.

Getting the swelling down will naturally improve your ROM.
 
My knee is so swollen now I have nearly no bend at all.
I haven't been doing exercises other than walking short distances.
I guess some people tend to swell more than others.
I am hoping I have now peaked.
 
Are you icing and elevating the whole time you are sitting or laying down? You need to do that to help get that swelling down. Also, you might be doing too much walking for you knee right now. Try to cut back and rest more and see if that will help that swelling.
 
I did stand for quite a while couple of days ago.
But since then I have only walked as necessary.
And have been icing with my leg elevated.
My surgeon didn't fit a drain after surgery.
The same surgeon done my other T K R which did have a drain
Apparently he doesn't drain anymore would that have made a difference.
 
Hello @Defender. I'm sorry you're having to deal with your physiotherapist. It's okay to stop PT for now and give your knee a rest. I had a difficult time doing that. But as soon as I did and with consistent icing and elevation the swelling went down and it made a world of difference. You will make the best decision for yourself. But, read or re-read the BoneSmart articles as part of your decision making process. Best of luck to you.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom