TKR my knee on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi yes the nausia snd sickness has stopped thank goodness not too much pain.either managed on 2 paracrtomol this evening but will have my big shots before bedtime.to last through.the night hoping for a good nite feel do tired i have been nodding off most of the day i will be happy to.go home hopefully soon . :angel:

Hi folks, day 3, post op blue mood kicking in, mood low due to being exhausted with lack of sleep. Physios are pushing ROM, it's only 45 and they said it should be more but due to the large amount of swelling I didn't agree with him. I have been using a cryo cuff for icing and doing the exercise so I don't know what's going wrong. It's making me anxious. He told me I am using too much ice which is making the knee lazy which I didn't agree. He said if the knee won't bend in few days after, complications can set in. So I have nervous thoughts in my head.

I had a lovely shower today but was very tired after and had to lie down. The physio saw me and said I am on the bed too much and should be up exercising. OMG! I think he is a cruel man. So the good news is I have asked to go home and if xray is ok then I can. But they said to keep pushing the knee to bend. I think they are expecting too much to soon. I am feeling very confused. I am reading all the advice on this great forum and whilst laid on bed for short periods a have been doing the exercises. I really am at my wit's end with it all and will be happy to go home and find my routine. I have been up and down stairs with crutches and walking well. Advice would be very helpful. Thank you, Marie

Marie,
My advice first of all is have a GOOD CRY :boohoo: (I had one in the hospital that lasted half a day and it was actually therapeutic!) Then tell that cruel PT :headbang: that you will discuss it with your doctor and you would prefer he not come in your room anymore. Then if you are allowed to go home, pack up and go! I suspect once your home, icing and elevating and doing gentle ROM exercises without that idiot barking at you you will increase the range. If you are still swollen it's certainly going to be hard to bend.

Taking a shower right after a TKR is exhausting and of course you had to lie down. It will be exhausting to do anything like that for weeks to come. Your stamina is low, it will return, but for now lie down whenever you feel you need to.

Don't get discouraged, you are recovering from major surgery!

Sending a big hug across the Atlantic,
Heidi :puppysmooze:

So sorry to hear Marie you are having trouble with the PT. That's my greatest fear that they want to push you it goes against what we have been reading on here for weeks. Makes you second guess which way to go. Feeling for you! Hopefully you can get home and do it the way you want to! :friends: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: I think you need some words of wisdom from Josephine

you will discuss it with your doctor and you would prefer he not come in your room any more.
Sadly, in the UK we don't get that option!

Marie, YOU are the one that has it right! That physio was wrong in every aspect and shouldn't be let loose on unsuspecting knee patients! Just keep reading the articles I left you in post 11 of this thread and ignore him. Remember, he cannot push on your leg if your refuse to let him. He will not have your consent and it can be termed assault if he continues to do so. You tell him that and warn him off. The consultant is unlikely to get involved and even if he does, you just tell him that the physio was hurting you and you are not going to tolerate that. Read the articles about the swollen leg and the window of opportunity and arm yourself with that knowledge so you can stand up to this bully. Remember, you don't have to debate the issue with him, just be confident in your knowledge and say 'you are NOT going to hurt me any more'!

In the UK you can't simply say (while in the hospital) " I do not like that PT (or Physio as you say) and I don't want him treating me anymore"?

I did not realize that. Very different on this side of the pond! Marie, get yourself home girl, you will feel better! :puppysmooze:

Hugs,
Heidi

Sorry you have had a bad PT experience! Hopefully things will get better when you are at home! :friends:

It sounds like you are doing the right things, Marie.

In the UK you can't simply say (while in the hospital) " I do not like that PT (or Physio as you say) and I don't want him treating me anymore"?

I did not realize that. Very different on this side of the pond! Marie, get yourself home girl, you will feel better! :puppysmooze:

Hugs,
Heidi
hello heidi ,yes we dont get a choice of a PT here in uk we get what we are given and they all work the same way with a aggressive approach to recovery the guys who i had i didnt like how they worked i wanted them to be nice and gentle with me but no way was that going to happen i mentioned it to the ward sister today and she said they are only doing there job she didnt agree with me any way im over it now because i arrived home today feeling much better happy and relaxed and just need a bit of TLC i have done my excersize today rested with ice all in my own time i suppose i just wasnt ready for the aggressive recovery approach which upset me i saw my OS today before discharge and he said every think is just fine he showed me the xray of my new fitted knee and said its perfect he allowed me to take a pic of it i will try to upload it on here if i can work it out he also said the incision is looking good just need the ends snipped off next friday by the community nurse who will come to my house i had stitchs that dissolve on there own and once the scar starts healing i can go swimming which will be so good for the knee i am excited about that i love a gentle swim :dancy: thankyou for your support . marie

Glad to see you home and you can control your own path now! Are you getting around okay and have the pain managed. You haven't mentioned it so I'm assuming all is good, Take care :dancy: :happydance:

Oh good news! So glad you're home and feeling better! I really think everything is better at home and frankly the knee moves better. Realize as I type this it is the middle of the night for you - hope you are getting some quality sleep! :angel:

Keep up the good work Marie!

Heidi

Hi kKathy, yes its good to be home doing things in my own time. Getting around a little on the crutches. It is very tiring moving around but has to be done, just short little walks around the house in between resting and icing. I am using a Cryocuff for ice it is such a relief to put it on nice and cold.

My pain meds are working well NEFOPAM 30mg 2 tablets 3 times daily taken with 2 paracetamol each time and oramorph when required to to keep on top of the pain. So all I feel is a bit of aching and stiffness. My swelling is slowly going down. I think it will take a while. I am drinking plenty of water too to help push the water out and it's working. Several trips to the loo! The bowels as well are working at last. OK, I had to take senna and laxido to get every thing moving.

I had 2 hours sleep last night from 10 pm to midnight. Awake the rest of the night. I couldn't get comfy and every thing was stiff. I have heavy bruising on the top of the thigh where they tied a tourniquet around during surgery to help with the bleeding. I didn't have a drain afterwards or a catheter which I was pleased about. Minimal invasion to help stop infection.

I thought the whole process was straight forward and it feels so good to not have the arthritis pain in my knee and to walk with a straight leg, even on crutches. At this very early stage feels so different, I don't have that horrible limp any more. So onwards and upwards from here.

I am sat up in bed as we speak leg elevated with ice with tea and toast and the ipad. I really do think recovery starts when you get home with all the home comforts. Our new knees just need a little TLC now to help them get better. The nurses and doctors at the hospital was lovely. I couldn't thank them enough. It was the physio I didn't like with their aggressive recovery approach - like Josephine says, we don't really need them, we can do exercise at home in our own time until is attend the education school on how to look after the new knee in a few weeks time ..

Well Kathy, your day is almost here. I hope you do well and honestly there is nothing to worry about so good luck for tomorrow and go get that new knee, girl.

Best of luck ...... Marie :flwrysmile: :dancy: :happydance: :)

Hi Heidi, I feel a lot better. Only had 2 hours sleep last night but feel refreshed and relaxed. I will have a nap during today. I really do think recovery starts at home with our knees, they need TLC. Please read the other post with landoz :thankyou: :dancy: :egypdance:

Sounds like your doing great Marie. :happydance: :dancy:

They got me up for my first walk not too much pressure foot still has pins and needles but very pleased I had 90 rom. Amazed how normal and well I feel. I don't know what pain killers I'm getting something similar to endone. I have a drip in knee and they are going to put some more pain relief in there tomorrow morning and then take it out. I was trying to check out the PT on her methods she said just take it easy to start with so watch this space on how that goes In a couple of days.

Take care :happydance:

Marie glad you are feeling better at home. I dont think any of us really relax in a hospital atmosphere and it always feels better when we are at home with our family. I was a little overwhelmed at climbing stairs with one crutch but its amazing how quickly you adapt. Sleeping is another issue. Could take longer. I just took naps in the day when i could to compensate. Hope you are having a restful day today. Happy Healing. Take care.

Marie glad you are feeling better at home. I dont think any of us really relax in a hospital atmosphere and it always feels better when we are at home with our family. I was a little overwhelmed at climbing stairs with one crutch but its amazing how quickly you adapt. Sleeping is another issue. Could take longer. I just took naps in the day when i could to compensate. Hope you are having a restful day today. Happy Healing. Take care.
thankyou pat , i was a litttle upset this morning again due to another horrible night trying to sleep i am having a few little naps during the day i rang my GP today who gave me tramadol to take along with the other meds and they have settled me a bit more so hopefully tonight i might sleep if only for a few hours today i had a little walk in the garden today to feel the fresh air how lovely that was it is amazing how quickly we adapt to stairs going up and down no problem with crutchs . :flwrysmile: marie.

Wow, I am very impressed you can do stairs so well; sounds like you are doing great (except for sleep). Are you able to take cat naps during the day? Why can't you sleep; just some general pain or just uncomfortable; what do you do when you can't sleep? Hopefully that will soon go away and from people here say it does, but I am sure it is frustrating ; I can sleep on a bed of nails, but we'll see what happens after surgery! Hope you have a good day!!

Well done Marie getting out in the garden and managing the stairs so well! :egypdance: :happydance: When I had trouble last night I just read for 1/2 hour and that helped me dose off. I also had some music which I also finds help although it's better when you set it to go off in half hour I can't do that on my shuffle.

Keep up the good recovery :friends: :flwrysmile:

good morning / evening arcoss the globe , just thought i would post to say i had a very good sleep last night i went to bed at 10pm and slept till 05.30 waking 4 times for the loo i woke up this morning to see the sun shining through the curtains what a lovely feeling that was , the tramadol my GP gave me yesterday has really settled things down i didnt feel any pain through the night and slept on my side my husband brought me tea and toast in bed then i relaxed watching morning tv in bed whilst he was down stairs doing the laundry washing dishs etc then off to the bathroom washed clean PJS hair and teeth done we bring every thing down stairs that i will need through out the day to save going up and down i took my meds washed down with the horrible stool softner urrrrrrrr a little sit in the garden for fresh air then getting comfy in my easy chair with leg elevated and ice pack in place lap top on knee catching up with the rest of the world i feel so relaxed today i hope it continues i will watch day time tv with little naps in between i think i am on the right road to recovery 7 days post op i will catch up with the excersizes later . :dancy: :angel: marie.

Hubby sounds like he is a good support for you Marie :yay: I am enjoying just laying around after a busy few weeks. The day just flew by today I don't know where it went. I have been eating prunes with great results maybe a little too many :rotfl:

A week already and you are having amazing recovery. Take care :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back