Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey

I’m not sure if I am allowed to post other resources but I found a great deal of informative and helpful information on the YouTube channel Talking with Docs. They are orthopedic surgeons in Canada and are enjoyable to watch. I’ve learned a lot and like their approach.
 
@FourCats it's fine to share an information source as long as it is not a link that takes members off our site. Your reference was perfect.

Some of our more vulnerable members might click a link and then not be able to navigate back to BoneSmart. Thanks for being sensitive to this!
 
So it’s 2 am and my old knee is not letting me sleep. Three weeks from today is my scheduled replacement and, crazy as it may sound, I wish it were today. My body is worn out from the pain and I can only hope that replacing the second knee will prove to be the answer. The new knee has not been progressing because it’s compensating for the old one. I think of the image of a team of oxen yoked together and envision my pair of new knees working together to get me moving again.
 
Try and be positive, positivity, is, what will get you through the next couple of weeks, give your recently replaced knee lots of attention, cream it frequently and elevate and ice it, when the operation comes you'll see it will be strong enough and will support your new knee, although my replacements were two years apart, I too, worried about my left supporting my right, it's doing a good job, occasionally it reminds me that it too is still in recovery, but then I just give it a good old massage with hydration cream.
Soon you will have that team of oxen working together xx
 
@FourCats i agree with you! I had my follow up appointment with surgeon for tomorrow but due to snow storm continuing my appt tomorrow is cancelled. I was hoping to get date for ltkr as recovery on rtkr is not moving alone as i can't do many things due to pain in left. Hang in there.
 
I am a little concerned because my L knee that had a PKR in 2016 has really bothered me sometimes more than my new knee. I had limped so badly before and after surgery that I was favoring that knee. Sure hoping that it resolves as I have pretty much stopped limping and that I get the 20-25 yrs out of it!
 
Hang in there, @FourCats ..... 3 weeks will go fast. I can totally understand you though. I couldn't wait to get my 2nd knee done, once I had a surgery date and I'd worn it out so badly that I was dealing with pain every day and could barely do anything. Try and baby yourself as much as you can..... :console2:
 
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. I started my “spring” cleaning today so my home will be ready to welcome my new knee! It’s amazing how much dust hides in the nooks and crannies!! It helps to keep busy and I know the importance of not overdoing it so I’m doing one room at a time. I’ve already done quite a bit of food prep and have a freezer full of things ready to thaw and heat.

The funny thing is that my cats know something is up. While I was cleaning the guest bedroom today, all four of them were sprawled on the bed keeping tabs on what I was up to. Cats!!!

Again, thanks for the support!
 
@FourCats and @CamGram looks like we are going to be February buddies!
My surgeon's appointment for today wasn't cancelled and I saw him this am. He is very pleased with my recovery and saw how badly swollen the other leg is. However, the hospital has been cancelling his surgeries on and off and the next date would be sometime in April. He asked me if I would consider same day and I said yes! It turns out just as he was going to get his scheduler, she was telling him of a cancellation on February 2nd at their Surgery Center! I do my pre-op after my visit with him and get my medical clearance on Friday. I'm so excited and believe it will be find he has PT meet me at the hospital after I am released to help my daughter get me settled.
 
I have my pre-op appointments on Friday with my surgeon and the hospital. Received word today that my insurance approved the surgery so I’m being optimistic that everything is falling into place!
Glad I’ve got surgery sisters to journey with!
 
Thanks to all the well-wishers and Yea for February surgeries! @jaspa and @FourCats, I am envious that your surgery dates are ahead of mine! (My left knee has become a genuine diva and I am counting down the days until she is replaced by a non-complaining new knee.) I will be cheering you on from the sidelines when you have your surgeries!

Like you, Julia, I’ll probably be going home the same day (due to Omicron-related staff shortages at my hospital). I’m okay with that but it’s making my dear hubs a little nervous. My pain was off the charts my first night at home after my RTKR and he felt it was his responsibility to fix that. (The hospital had let me go without pain meds for eight hours and when my knee block wore off after going home, it was really difficult to get the pain under control. Needless to say, I will NOT let that happen again!)

@Sara61, do you recommend a specific hydration cream? My skin is so dry this time of year that hydration sounds like just the thing I need.

PS @hawk2go, love your new pic!
 
@CamGram As I'm living in Portugal, I'm not sure what the brands of hydration creams there are available in the US, from reading other posts, I see Bio Oil is available, this is really good for post surgery (important to only use, once your incision is fully healed) it will, with time fade the scar line, it's also has many other good benefactors. My day to day use for hydration, is E45 cream, this is basic non perfumed deep hydration cream- I'm sure there is similar in the US, the brand Nivea is good too.
Living in a Sunny climate & having been severely burnt on my legs in the past, I'm a great advocate for hydration, not only does it leaves our skin super soft, the massage motion helps with our circulation.
 
@Sara61 I recently began using Bio Oil on my TKR scar but my OS did such a beautiful job that I hardly need it! I could, however, use something for the dry, flaky skin on my legs so I googled E45 cream and - of course - it’s available on Amazon. I’ve already ordered it; thanks for the recommendation. (I spent many years as a serious sun worshipper so I can certainly identify with your sunburns.)
 
@CamGram great that you have managed to get E45 you won't be disappointed. Although the many years of living in a Sunny Climate doesn't help our skin. Sadly I was a victim of a gas explosion in my kitchen suffering 3rd degree burns to both my legs & feet about 6 years ago, my gas cooker blew up, due to a leaky valve :flabber: anyway all healed and other than needing to avoid the sunshine they are fine x
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom