Guest viewing is limited

My journey

I assume arthritis can also occur with the cartilage still 100% intact, correct?

Are most TKR's the result of empty compartments? Or is a severe arthritic condition enough for the need of a TKR?
 
How long can I expect to be able to stand the first few days post op? I only ask since I'll need to let my german shep out a couple times during the day. I'm only talking maybe 3-5 mins standing by the door keeping an eye on her.
 
Both?? I honestly didn't think one could function normally without one, never mind both.
Hi @BionicBob, I'm the one who had both kneecaps removed. The first one in '91, the 2nd. one in 93. It was rough going, with the recovery almost as bad as the total knee replacement. The only real difference I have from those having kneecaps is that my quads are weaker and I can't stoop. Of course, kneeling is totally out, too. But, otherwise it's not too much different. You are welcome to read my recovery thread. It might interest you to know that after all my 11 knee surgeries I never took PT or did exercises. I just used my knees the way God intended them to be used. I took care of myself, house, yard and my cats. That's all the rehab I needed.
 
How long can I expect to be able to stand the first few days post op? I only ask since I'll need to let my german shep out a couple times during the day. I'm only talking maybe 3-5 mins standing by the door keeping an eye on her.
You will be fine waiting for your dog. Just make sure you have your walker with you. Just be sure to go back and ice and elevate as soon as your dog is back in. I was alone after my surgery and was still able to take care of 13 rescued cats. You'll be fine with one dog!
 
I assume arthritis can also occur with the cartilage still 100% intact, correct?
There are two types of cartilage in the knee. The articular cartilage that covers the bone ends and the meniscii which are commonly referred to when one has a torn cartilage. The meniscii might be intact but the articular cartilage is inevitably damaged because that is what arthritis is! And when it gets bad enough and the bone is exposed, that's what we call 'bone-on-bone" arthritis.
Are most TKR's the result of empty compartments? Or is a severe arthritic condition enough for the need of a TKR?
I take it that by 'empty compartments' you are referring to the removal of the meniscus? This isn't really the issue though damaged or removed meniscii are often present in arthritis and may even have been a precursor to it, the actual arthritic changes occur in the articular cartilage as in the bottom image.

[Bonesmart.org] My journey


[Bonesmart.org] My journey


How long can I expect to be able to stand the first few days post op?
Oh dear - that's what we call a "how long is a piece of string" question! But generally, I would expect anyone to be able to stand for 5 minutes within the first week. However, if it's just watching your dog while she's in the garden, couldn't you have a chair or a stool by the door?
 
You'll be able to stand for a couple of minutes, maybe a few. You'll find that you'll want to sit a lot. Having a sturdy chair, preferably with arms, nearby might be something you'd want to do. Also, you'll be sent home with a walker, so can use that for support. I let out my larger dog a few times a day.

TKR is interesting in that the knees are immediately capable of doing things like standing, walking, and climbing stairs... but all these activities hurt to a greater or lesser degree depending on the individual. You can do as much as your pain and swelling, and your ability to handle it, will let you. It helps to set yourself up for success by using assistive devices that make things easier. But you can physically perform most normal activities--they'll just exhaust you and, if you overdo things, cause more pain.
 
I'm the one who had both kneecaps removed.
Thanks for chiming in sistersinhim. It does indeed sound like it was a rough recovery. I did start reading your recovery thread, haven't gotten through it all yet.

And thanks for confirming I'll be fine for standing at the door briefly while my GSD takes care of her business. I can't imagine taking care of 13 cats!! when healthy, never mind when recovering from surgery. Bless you for having the strength and patience to do it though.
 
@BionicBob, God has put a special love in my heart for cats and I feel like it's a ministry of mine. Having them depending on me got me up and moving after my surgery. The first week my neighbor cleaned the litter boxes on the screened-in porch for me since it is 3 steps down without rails! All the rest of the duties went to me! I believe they were a huge help in my recovery. I had to take care of them, no choice! But, they are much easier than dogs. I never would have been able to do that with dogs!
 
The articular cartilage that covers the bone ends and the meniscii which are commonly referred to when one has a torn cartilage
Thanks for the quick lesson and the memory jog as well. I remember my ortho Dr explaining some of what you said when I asked him: why, after 19 yrs did my knee decide to act up again. He mentioned the bone cartilage finally wore off and now it was bone on bone...or something similar to that.

I take it that by 'empty compartments'
The empty compartments term was actually from the OS medical report: "The findings of significant end-stage degenerative joint disease were most marked in the medial and patellofemoral compartments. There was a varus attitude. There was a complete loss of the articular cartilages in the medial compartment."

No doubt I need to find the time to study up on the mechanics of the knee. I took that info from the report and related it to my knee. On the front inner side of the left knee, I can feel a significant void and is painfull when pressed. Night and day difference when compared to the right knee, which is solid in the same area.

watching your dog while she's in the garden
in the garden??? Bite your tongue my dear woman:snork: I'd never let her... Actually she's trained to go in a specific area on the other side of the driveway, by the wood line. Don't need to deal with 'land mines' from a GSD when cutting the grass. And the Mrs would have a fit if she left a surprise in her garden:bignono:

Great suggestion about a stool by the door! I have a couple nice comfy bar stools out in the garage. I can just lean back onto it instead of suffering trying to sit down and then getting back up from something lower. I'll bring one in and leave it in the foyer in case I need it.

edit...btw, in case you or anyone else doesn't know, GSD = German Sheperd Dog and is what most GSD owners use when referring to their dog
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The first week my neighbor cleaned the litter boxes
Oh my goodness...forgot about all the litter boxes. Did you actually have 13 boxes? Or did they share?...my ignorance about raising cats is showing:catbutterfly:

I do have a couple stray cats that roam through my property at times. Pretty sure they belong to the farmer up the road. Their excellent mousers for sure! Pets are such a joy even with having to deal with them being a pita at times. Having a GSD is a godsend for me. This is my second...she's 11 and raised her from a pup at 8 weeks. I'll never be without a GSD as long as I'm breathing The companionship is irreplaceable!! Inside or out my best buddy is always at my side. I'm sure she's enjoying the company while I've been home. I'll be curious as to how she acts when I'm laid up after surgery.
 
It helps to set yourself up for success by using assistive devices that make things easier.

Worth repeating!! As you know, I was going to skip the bathroom devices, thinking "I don't need them". At your suggestion, I reconsidered. And the above statement of yours says it all...reaching the end of recovery successfully
 
Having them depending on me got me up and moving after my surgery.
I was a little slow on the uptake...knowing I'll have to get up to feed and get water for her besides letting her out will motivate me to do so. Probably be tough the first couple days I'm sure. But after i get through the initial stages of recovery and understanding what I can tolerate(#1 priority), the few mins of walking will do me good as well.
 
forgot about all the litter boxes. Did you actually have 13 boxes? Or did they share?
I don't use the standard litter boxes, I use large storage tubs for them. They also have a cat door to the porch and one to the outside. Some of them prefer to 'go' outside, which is good for me because they bury their 'stuff'! Inside, I have 4 big tubs on the screened in porch and 1 in my bathroom for my 21 year old to use since she doesn't go out on the porch. Having 13 isn't as bad as it sounds. The worst part is the expenses. They all are fixed and get their shots every year. Of course, one or two of them might get sick and need extra vet care. God has always provided a way for me to afford to care for them!

Good deal that you have a stool that you can sit on while your precious GSD is doing her thing! She sounds like a real blessing!
 
Please excuse my absence. It's been a chaotic week with highs and lows and everything else in between

High point...finally received a signed official notice that the 3rd party review board authorized and approved the surgery. Only took 10 months to get that, sadly. Now just have to endure another 2 months wait for D day to get here. I'll be so glad when it's over and done with.

Low point...my wife is in the hospital. Fortunately, as it turns out...nothing serious. Earlier in the week she was complaining about chest pain. At first it was mild, but got progressively worse. So off to the ER. They admitted her and ran a bunch of tests. Turns out it was some type of severe indigestion/heart burn and treated her for it. However they still wanted to keep her there for a couple days just to be sure. She's ready to come home now and wants to, but some over zealous Dr(s) seem to be on a power trip and threaten to use the AMA card if she leaves before they release her.

I shall return and continue where I last left off. Just need to get through this setback
 
Great news on your long awaited surgery approval. Now, to get your wife back home! I pray that everything's ok with her.
 
Back
Top Bottom