Guest viewing is limited

My journey

No there isn't. If you read the manufacturer's websites, they will have you believe there is but it's not true. Marketing! It's like cars! 'Ours' is always the best, latest and most uptodate
version available - you know the kind of thing!
If it's anything like todays auto manufacturers marketing, I'm in trouble...lol While they may think their product stands above the rest, I know better because most auto manufacturers use the general public as guinea pigs and for testing grounds. A prime example is all the recalls that are out there and new ones are added everyday. Instead of verifying a products viability, they'd rather push it out the door and let the general public find out the failures. I'd like to think the medical field doesn't follow that type of behavior

I've mentioned a few in here Ice to control pain and swelling but my preference was for the Cryocuff because it was simple and no power involved. Again, they are all pretty much the same.

Thanks, I got the impression that the powered ones were more beneficial since it required less input from me(?)
For sure I need to do some more reading about the differences. The nurse for the OS did say they can supply me with one, but not sure which one it is. The ice/elevate is already in my notes thanks to BoneSmart. In fact I've read it so many times, I don't even need to make note of it anymore.

For a knee?? No way! I've often said "it's easy for someone to be ambitious with another person's stamina" and this is proof positive of it. We actually had a spinal surgeon on here as a member (US) and he was all raring to get back to work in 6 weeks but after a couple of months on here, he finally conceded that ours was a more sensible approach and having got back to work at 12 weeks, he was man enough to let us know we were right!

I'm glad my thinking isn't unrealistic. I have a coworker that had a TKR a few years ago and his pre and post op treatment was entirely different than what I'm facing. IIRC, he returned to work around week 5, but I should mention he is office help and there's a significant difference in what we each do. What makes matters worse is I've heard he is comparing his experience to what I'm dealing with. A good example is he questioned why I had pre op PT since he didn't. He also has a BMI that's quite high and wasn't required to lose any weight for the surgery. So I'm sure he's probably running his mouth about how quick and easy his TKR was compared to what I'm dealing with. When I last spoke with my employer this past spring, they were surprised that I hadn't had surgery yet considering how long I've been out. It's not like I have any choice. Between WC(workers comp), the insur carriers dispute and the OS requirements, I can only abide by their requirements. Being compared to someone else's experience is unjustified and yet it doesn't surprise me that it happens

Who told you that? I know plenty who are able to kneel without any problems.

The PA told me that and said if I did and damaged the knee cap, I was all done. His exact words were NOT to kneel on it at all. He said there is no repair for a broken/damaged knee cap(??) I didn't question him any and just accepted it. I did run this by my OD and he disagreed. It's not the kneeling that can necessarily cause any harm, but more any impact to the knee itself. If I used an extra thick knee pad, I'd be fine. When I saw the OS I questioned him about it too, and he kinda agreed with his PA but did say he has patients that use the knee pads that flooring installers use and they've been fine. So I'll just have to wait and see what I am capable of when I get to that point.

But it's perfectly common for people to range between uncertainty and outright panic. This is a big deal and you will be handing yourself over into the care of total strangers that you will probably not even set eyes on and letting them do things you have no idea about and that is scary. Only crumb of comfort I can offer is that these strangers do this several times a day, every day of the week. Or to put it another way, for you this is a big, unknown and scary deal, for them it's just another day at the office. But you can trust them.

I used to be one of those unseen and unknown people in the OR and I took care of every individual that came into my care just as much as if they had been my own mother or father. They will too because they are professionals and know their job. So the only thing you really have to fear is the unknown and that we can help you with. Read around here and be educated. It will help you greatly.

I greatly appreciate reading this, especially from someone with your professional experience. When my OD first mentioned my only remaining option was a TKR, I was extremely apprehensive...no make that...terrified. At the suggestion of my coworker who had the TKR, he told me to check youtube for a preview of what was involved. I always thought of myself as a strong individual with a high tolerance, but the graphic pics were a bit over the top for me. One thing for sure...I could never be a surgeon. I definitely don't have it in me to do that type of work. I'm sure you get used to it with experience, but just the same...I'll pass ;)

For the most part, I'm as prepared mentally as I'll ever be. But there's no doubt that I'll need some support during recovery and I'm grateful that BoneSmart exists. I'll be here daily once recovery starts as I've seen the positive results many of you have achieved.

.
 
Ditto, on the minimize suffering! That just generates a stress state for your body and increases the burden. Slow and steady wins this race! Embrace your tortoise, settle back and chill.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A prime example is all the recalls that are out there and new ones are added everyday.
Actually, quite a number of US members comment on that so I did some research and found that most recalls were connected with incorrect packaging or labelling and such and therefore generated by the firms themselves. They were, in effect, trawled out by their own quality assurance system. But, you know lawyers - they just lerve to create a scandal that will give them business!
Being compared to someone else's experience is unjustified and yet it doesn't surprise me that it happens
Absolutely! I've often said on here that this cannot be done because they never had your pre-op condition, surgery or recovery and you never had theirs! Chalk and cheese!
The PA told me that and said if I did and damaged the knee cap, I was all done. His exact words were NOT to kneel on it at all. He said there is no repair for a broken/damaged knee cap(??)
All rubbish! Only people with thin bones and such will have a problem and these are usually folk in their 80s and such! I think in my entire life/career I've come across about 3 patients whose resurfaced patella fractured and they were nothing to do with kneeling!
 
Just to add to what Josephine said - we have one staff member who has had both her kneecaps removed. @sistersinhim , would you like to reassure BionicBob that a normal life is possible without kneecaps? His surgeon's PA has worried him with what he said.
And we have another staff member, @PolarBear60 , who has had a fractured kneecap, which is now almost healed.
 
My OS was one of the few (apparently) who gave realistic expectations. He said by week 6-8 I would be driving and doing small outings, but not back to full strength or back to work. If I could be off 10-12 weeks, that would be ideal, and even then wouldn't be totally back to normal. He said it would be about a year to get back full stamina etc. and feel "normal."
He was right on. I was back to work at 12 weeks, but was zonked by the time I got home. (I spend about 1/2 the day on me feet and 1/2 at a desk.) Month by month my knee became actually better than normal as "normal" pre-op was so bad! ;) And then I did it again for my left knee a couple of years later! Same story.

But the 2 recoveries were so worth it. My life does not revolve around my knees.

I think you should explain to your doctor the nature of your work. If your employer pressures you to go back before 12 weeks, some people have had success getting a phased return. Maybe part time a couple of days a week to start.
 
All rubbish! Only people with thin bones and such will have a problem and these are usually folk in their 80s and such! I think in my entire life/career I've come across about 3 patients whose resurfaced patella fractured and they were nothing to do with kneeling!

That's encouraging to hear! I didn't question the PA about it too much at the time because this is a new learning experience for me. Now that I'm starting to understand the process better, the more I'm thinking this PA is a chest thumper. His words come across as somewhat forceful at times, almost to the point of putting the fear of god in you. I really hate to label him as such, but if you walk the walk...! I imagine I'll be seeing him again during the process and hopefully my opinion will change.
 
we have one staff member who has had both her kneecaps removed
Both?? I honestly didn't think one could function normally without one, never mind both. I need to study up some more about this and what the consequences might be.

Thanks for the positive comments.
 
I was back to work at 12 weeks, but was zonked by the time I got home.
I keep reading about being exhausted, both early on in recovery as well as when returning to work and getting back into the real world. It's good to know in advance that it's normal and to be expected. It's evident that the stronger you are prior to surgery, the better the recovery will be.

I think you should explain to your doctor the nature of your work. If your employer pressures you to go back before 12 weeks, some people have had success getting a phased return. Maybe part time a couple of days a week to start.
Since the OS stated he has a few patients that perform the same work as I do, I would have thought he would be more understanding. I'll be sure to discuss my concerns with him though. He HAS to KNOW that everyone heals/recovers at a different rate.

As for my employer pressuring me to return, I'm not getting that impression...yet anyway. If they do and I feel I'm not ready, I'll just refuse. The one advantage I do have is there are plenty of other employers that would hire me on the spot. The industry overall is hurting for experienced techs, and my 24 years at my current employer alone speaks volumes about my commitment and dedication. However, the time required for full recovery...as long as one year I've read?... might be something that a potential employer would frown on and prevent them from hiring me. At least with my current employer, they know my situation and since both the initial injury 20 years ago as well as the upcoming TKR were a result of a work related injury, I doubt they'll rock the boat. I'd hate to have to exercise my rights under workers comp, but if the need presents itself I will. For some odd reason, the WC commissioner has taken a strong liking to me and specifically told me if i have any concerns or problems during this process, don't hesitate to contact him directly.
 
I have that pre op class scheduled for Monday July 31. My OS expects all his patients to attend. Is this something that I can expect to benefit me?
 
Now that I'm starting to understand the process better, the more I'm thinking this PA is a chest thumper.
I LOVE that! And so accurate!
Both?? I honestly didn't think one could function normally without one, never mind both.
Oh there are thousands of people who, having fracture their patellae, had to have them removed. As a young nurse, I cut my teeth scrubbing for cases like that! But these days, there are techniques of internal fixation that have been developed and are very successful. Like this, which is called a tension band wiring. It cannot be used on a patella that is in many pieces though.

[Bonesmart.org] My journey


I have that pre op class scheduled for Monday July 31. My OS expects all his patients to attend. Is this something that I can expect to benefit me?
It's always a good idea to know what you are to expect.
 
My bet is you would find the class beneficial. It will also give you a chance to ask questions. :smile2: The questions from other people can be just as helpful.
 
IHowever, the time required for full recovery...as long as one year I've read?... might be something that a potential employer would frown on and prevent them from hiring me.
Most people seem to be able to work and feel pretty good by 3 months generally. But the year is probably the point at which most of us forget about the knee--some a bit sooner, some a bit later.

I would say from 3-6 months I still had some nagging stiff feeling, especially if I stood too long or did too much. After around 6 months that was mostly gone but sometimes the knee would still "speak" to me. My point about the year to "normal" is, as the doctor explained to me, you will still be aware of the knee and it may ache or feel stiff sometimes over that 12 months. This timeline is for your own info, not your employer's.
 
there are techniques of internal fixation that have been developed and are very successful. Like this, which is called a tension band wiring.
This hardware is internal? Yowzza...looks uncomfortable! I guess when you have no other option, you make the best of it.
 
The questions from other people can be just as helpful.
Excellent point and not something I even thought of!

I'm trying to research everything I can pre op...still have a few Q's to ask...but I'm sure there will be a few things I didn't think of. Hopefully the attendee's won't be too shy
 
Most people seem to be able to work and feel pretty good by 3 months generally. But the year is probably the point at which most of us forget about the knee--some a bit sooner, some a bit later.

I would say from 3-6 months I still had some nagging stiff feeling, especially if I stood too long or did too much. After around 6 months that was mostly gone but sometimes the knee would still "speak" to me. My point about the year to "normal" is, as the doctor explained to me, you will still be aware of the knee and it may ache or feel stiff sometimes over that 12 months. This timeline is for your own info, not your employer's.

Hopefully I fall under the 3 month group as I would prefer the sooner the better. If my recovery falls under the 'Most people' group, I'll have been out of work for a few months over a year total and it's going to be a challenge just getting used to getting up early again. Never mind working under constant time restraints. But my real concern is being on my feet for extended periods. Granted that there are times I can sit for a few, but overall...I'm on feet and moving around throughout the entire work day. I'll have to discuss the phased return with my employer and see what they expect. Last conversation regarding this matter, he said he wants to see me return when I'm 100%.

Then there's the thing they call wages. I'm paid flat rate, AKA piece work. Generally I am able to produce more time than I work. Meaning I'll work 40 hrs and average 45-50 hrs pay. However if a third, half or?? the work day is spent resting/elevating and icing, I don't get paid. Understandable since I'm not making the company any $$, but if I have to spend several months getting back up to speed, half a paycheck won't cut it. May as well stay home. This is something I'm going to have to get settled prior to returning. Even if I have to request a hearing with the WC commissioner. Then there's the insur carrier to deal with. I expect backlash from them after a certain period of recovery time. Might even get to the point where the carrier will demand(??) I find another line of work. In the end...right or wrong... I'm of the opinion that I and I alone will decide when I'm capable to return to work. I refuse to torture myself like I did the last month I worked...I gave it my best because I love what I do. But there isn't enough $$ out there to compensate the misery, never mind the the effect it has on concentration.

It's going to be an interesting for sure when the time comes. Maybe forced retirement? For now though, I'll just concentrate on the present and getting prepared for the upcoming surgery that I'm still a bit apprehensive about.
 
We've had people on this site successfully return to very physical work. IIRC one was a meatcutter, one a firefighter and someone else who had to climb in and out of high trucks for his work. Maybe @Jamie or one of the other long time advisors or moderators will remember.
 
Just read the stories in the Amazing Recoveries forum of our BoneSmart Library.

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

You'll find a lot of people who returned to an active lifestyle or to demanding jobs. I think you have the right approach now to your recovery. This is a time where it's important to put yourself first. You'll no doubt have a lot of roadblocks with Workman's Compensation and insurance companies and possibly even some of your medical team. Hang in there and be strong. You are the customer and you know what is best for you.
 
This hardware is internal?
Yes it is but most of the steel wire and the pins are inside the bone and the bits that are outside it, are tapped down so they don't impact or catch on the soft tissues.
 
We've had people on this site successfully return to very physical work.
That's encouraging to hear. I'd be interested in knowing what their recovery timeline was. Maybe they're in the link in Jamie's post. I'll have to look
 
I think you have the right approach now to your recovery
Thanks for the encouraging words. It's reassuring to know I'm off on the right foot, in the right direction. I'll be sure to check the amazing recoveries you linked. While I have poked around a bit here and there, I've mostly just been reading the new posts, especially the recovery ones where the member gives a day by day/play by play account of their experiences. So many details including some I never would have thought of. This past January after I completed the pre op PT, I thought I was ready as I'd ever be. Knowing what I know now thanks to BS and it's members, I would have had a rude awakening for certain. I especially appreciate where the knowledgeable members here correct someone for doing something wrong, but equally important is they explain why it's wrong.

It's funny you mention road blocks. This past Friday I just heard from the nurse for the OS who coordinates everything. Apparently the 3rd party that the insur carrier uses to review medical treatment denied coverage for the surgery. From what I understand...whew!! talk about legal language...it appears that it's just an administrative error. Hope so as I'd hate to pester the WC commissioner over something that could be corrected by filing the proper info.
 
Back
Top Bottom