TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input and advice @mtnchyld & @dogwheels regarding the new house odor. I was joking with my realtor yesterday that it was a horrible air freshener fragrance she was using. I know it could be practically anything, well not really, but it permeated the house and it's so strange that I didn't notice it on Saturday! It's just such a touchy subject to bring up and I would hate to hurt the little lady's feelings or embarrass her, then again, I certainly don't want to move into a house that smells like the bathroom at a truck stop. I didn't factor all new flooring into my budget, and honestly don't think I should have to. Hopefully it's an easy(ish) fix, and since it will be addressed on my repairs request, the responsibility would be on her to alleviate the issue.

K, @Nana moon 27 I am so very very sorry that your knee is so painful today. I know there is nothing more frustrating than having a good day followed by a painful one. As I've been told many times on here though (and never listen to), it's wasted effort to try to figure out all the 'whys and why nots' of this poodley (that's for you dogwheels) recovery. I will point out that 'only' baking 2 different items and 'only' taking laundry outside to peg all involve repeated and extended standing, bending, squatting and walking. That's kinda not 'nothing much' when put all together. I know this because you've pointed out that all of my 'nothing but cooking' excuses involve a lot of effort and pressure on our new knee.

Regarding my PT, i'm not sure how to go about switching to a different one. I guess I'd have to get a new script and take it somewhere else? That's a good idea to go get an assessment from someone else and sort of start over with them. My PT was good for initial recovery, but he doesn't seem to have an in between mode.

I had to go shopping this morning (3 stores including Costco) and walked them all. Not sure how my knee feels about that. My kneecap and just below my knee cap (patella?) has been killing me for several days and my new and annoying pain (on top of the old pain and swelling) is a burning and stabbing one. Ahhh, the joys of recovery.

@saltyal , I'm going to point out again how awesome you are to take pity on us poor, stubborn patients who don't listen very well. I've seen your posts on other threads and they are so patient and well worded as far as advice, encouragement and exercise tips. You're kinda awesome!!! Now, back to that business model of pimping out Woodstock for walks.........

It's almost 4pm here and I still have a bunch of stuff I need to get done today. So annoying that I have to meter out what I do and I tend to get lazy when I take 'breaks' all to accommodate my knee, but it's time to motivate. Oh! And as for trying to drop some of these post & pre surgical pounds, I think I'm going to give the paleo kinda diet a go. Nope, haven't researched it, but I figure if I stick to eating clean with mostly protein and veggies, then that couldn't be too bad, right? Oh, and the occasional martini thrown in ...... xoxoxoxxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 it is somewhat embarrassing about the poor old lady but you are being fair. You have a budget that you have to try to stick to and if flooring hasn't been counted, it's something you don't want thrown at you. Equally you don't want to live In something that smells like a neglected care home!!! Just please don't add lavender to it cos that'll just make it worse.

I genuinely had not considered the actual amount of physical movement I did today. Thinking about it in top of what you mentioned I had to reach into the low back end of a cupboard to get my blender out for my smoothie.
As for dropping post op pounds definitely lean meat and veggies. However, make sure you have a small amount of carbs too. Don't get rid of carbs altogether. They give you energy and while you are recovering and your body is fighting to get well, it needs a good diet. Fresh is best!

I suggested about the PT change because I have read posts where people have changed because they cannot get on with their PT or the PT has repeatedly hurt them.

Well done in the shopping, I hope your knee doesn't get too angry with you tomorrow and seek revenge like mine does! It's high time these knees realise how lucky they are to have a nice, warm home and not stuck living in a hospital or a factory. They're so terribly ungrateful!

Thanks for making me think again my friend xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo:puppysmooze:
 
:heehee: hahaha, on not having to live in a factory or hospital for our knees. I think mine would absolutely be living in some sort of a 'special' school - you know, the ones where they send bad kids? :whistle:
 
Mine would be right up there with it...believe me!!! Actually, they act like two year olds, you're never sure when that tantrums gonna occur! Ha ha xxxxx
 
I did a double take at this off @dogwheels! Lol xxx


[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Ooh I've forgotten what that's like. It's been soooo long, too long! I love martini! Xxx
 
My Mom's nursing home had that "delicate to mention" odor--mostly from accidents on the chairs. It would be great if you could narrow down the source….hope all works out well! :)
 
I've seen your posts on other threads and they are so patient and well worded as far as advice, encouragement and exercise tips.

Aw shucks.... :blush: I've spent my whole life as a Pinhead, but if folks keep saying nice things about me I'll become a Fathead like Woodstock: he's mostly bullmastiff so has a huge head.! :egypdance: ... But you know there are so many helpful people on this wonderful forum that I'm always happy to hear that some of my posts are a worthwhile addition to theirs.... It's my way of "paying forward" the benefits of the BoneSmart way.
Cheers, Al
 
That's the tough part @Chihuahuan , I have no clue where the odor is coming from. It's all over the house and not in one centralized area. I hate the thought of embarrassing her, but I kinda need to know if the odor will leave along with the furniture or not :-(

Sorry to make you blush @saltyal , you DO pay it forward! And I thank you for that! OMG, bullmastiff's have such gorgeous enormous square heads!!! :puppysmooze: No wonder you like taking him for walks! If you get tired, you can just ride him back home! :heehee:

Oy, thank goodness I have a long close of escrow. I've not even packed 2 boxes tonight and my knee is totally swollen and sore. This is going to be a looooooong process (the packing, not just the recovery) :groan:
 
Oh @DogLoverx3 do you think that maybe you've done enough today too? Three lots of shops is very good stuff in a day xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :puppysmooze: Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
 
What are you doing still awake my friend? It's 2am over there, isn't it? :sad:

You're probably right about doing 'enough' today but darn it, it's not going to pack itself. :wink: I wish I had a Jetson's house .... or at least a Rosie the Robot to help me :)
 
I've not even packed 2 boxes tonight and my knee is totally swollen and sore.

You might avoid some pain and do yourself a big favour by hiring someone you can trust to help with the packing... like a maid service or other bonded agency people? ... Your realtor might have some suggestions along those lines.
 
I wish I could afford something like that @saltyal . I was always so jealous of people that could just make a call and have their entire homes packed and moved for them! That would be awesome. Buying this house without selling my current one 1st is a huge risk and will take just about every penny I have though. I've got a month and a half, so maybe 2 boxes a day will get me to the finish line in time. ;-) I will hire actual movers (after I move all my catering/kitchen stuff on my own of course) for the big day though.
 
Thank you @fiftydollarbill ~ my inspection is tomorrow, so fingers crossed :) Glad you are doing so well! I still can't imagine ever saying 'sure, let's do this again!' :shocked:

Well, today was an interesting one. Heard from someone I haven't heard from during this entire process and wasn't quite sure how to deal with it. I opted to go to happy hour with friends. :angel:

I start back at physical therapy tomorrow. I've taken the past 10 days off. I don't think I've lost any ROM, but I can never tell about my flexion, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I would like to work on quad strengthening exercises but am not a fan of squats or anything with a band, so not sure if that's possible. Also need to work on my balance and walking better. I fear this recovery is never going to end sometimes. I did decide that vodka worked better than pain meds this evening though, so that's something at least :martini::heehee:

I hope everyone had a great day! I'll have to catch up tomorrow! xoxoxxo
Ellen Hope your Pt went well . Hang in there I know it will get better. How did inspection go on house.?
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I was just passing through briefly round two am. I dozed, woke back up looked my iPad cos I'd fallen asleep with it left on. It a 5.30 here. Going to try and sleep now again. It's been a funny restless night. Take care love Ann xoxoxoxo:puppysmooze:

Btw Rosie sounds pretty good. Xxxxxxx
 
Well, woke up at 3am and can't fall back asleep. Hopefully I will. Got up to go to the restroom and didn't have to do my usual stand in one place by the bed to make sure my knee is going to work routine. It almost didn't even hurt. Almost. Let's hope that continues! :) The dogs have all plopped back on top of me and are waiting for me to turn the lights off.....silly boys

@Nana moon 27 I hope you were able to fall back asleep! And hope I can too!

Hi @fiftydollarbill , inspection went well aside from a very delicate situation regarding a permeating odor that wasn't there on Saturday (at least I don't think it was) it was all minor handyman and plumming issues mainly. This will be my 1st house that has a shingled roof instead of tile, so my inspector gave me some good tips on how to stay on top of things. How are you doing? All okay?
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 you are not going to be happy with me but I am trying something out different today. Instead of doing my morning exercises and shovelling meds down my neck and lying there feeling sorry for myself, I've tried a different tack! I have replaced the morning exercises with my light housework. I've loaded the dishwasher (bends & weight bearing), I vacuumed (pushing and quads) and mopped the floors using antibacterial spray instead of a mop bucket with water (that cuts the heavy heavy weight bearing). I have taken my meds with my breakfast, which for once I ate downstairs. I'm trying to avoid the stairs as much as possible still. I figured that if I am In pain when I rest and elevate and it's not doing any good then I need to try something else. This is sheer desperation. I think I'm going to end up seeing my GP again if this does not improve within the net week. I am on slightly higher level morphine again because of the pain. Something is not right. I think I may need more PT you only get 4 x1hr sessions here as part of your treatment. It is not enough really.

I hope this is going to be a turning point for your knee, that was a real achievement not having to stand by the bed and make sure it works. I do that every morning!

I hope that you do get some sleep. I'll have to do a post on my thread now. I think I'll copy this and tweak it. They'll think I've got lost today!!!!

Fingers crossed about your knee. Look forward to a chat later x x x x x :puppysmooze:
 
Why would I get upset @Nana moon 27 ? You have to try different things to see what works (or doesn't). I do like that, although I think you did too much, that you did what you would have done anyway (let's be honest) instead of your exercises and not in addition to them! I hope that you have no ill effects from your morning cleaning routine.

Hahaha, turning point for my knee......I am certainly not that optimistic, but it was nice to be able to just get up and out of bed. :-) I was able to fall back asleep and didn't get up again until @7:30. I've gone back to taking 2 Tylenol & 1 Tramadol at bedtime and that seems to be helping.

Alright, my friend, I'm off for a kinda/sorta/not really busy day. Take care of yourself! xoxoxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom