TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a good elementary exercise for balance & quad strength is just standing on one leg! .... you don't even have to lift the other foot off the floor to start with: just kind of unload it & as you start to gain your balance you can lift it up a couple of inches and get a good wobble going, which is good for core strength too. :tada:
 
Hi @saltyal before my op I used to have to do that one. I used to have to stand on one leg, and gently lower myself up and down on it slowly. Just small movements. X x x
 
Ooh @DogLoverx3 I just went downstairs and tried these Special K Biscuit Moments, blueberry flavour it has drizzle of yogurt stuff over it. Ooer rather nice to say the least. Normally this stuff is dry these are perfect. Bit like raisinless Garibaldi with blueberry filling and yogurt drizzle mmmmmmm heaven x x x x almost like a Herbal Essences moment lol ha ha x x x x x
 
Thanks, fiftydollarbill, need all the encouragement I can get. And very glad I found this forum...it has been really helpful.
 
Good morning all! My knee must know I'm headed back to PT this morning as it's more stiff and sore than it has been in the past week. My kneecap has been killing me for the past few days though - mostly at night, so I wonder if it has to do with the stairs?

Thanks for the great exercise tip @saltyal ! You're a smart cookie! I will try that today! They have parallel bars that I can stand between to prevent face planting, so hopefully I won't embarrass myself too badly.

I'm glad you found us too @mtnchyld ! I don't know what I would have done had I not found BoneSmart!

I'm glad you liked your biscuits @Nana moon 27 ! The sound more like desert than breakfast though :spin:

Well, I'm off to see what new 'wonder-children' I'll come across at PT so they can run circles around me. I'll just keep repeating to myself 'do not trip the recent TKR show offs; do not trip the recent TKR show offs ...' :heehee:
 
Well, I'm back from PT. I talking to my therapist about changing up my exercises and told him I wanted to work on quad strength and balance but didn't want to do squats or anything with an exercise band. After he was done rolling his eyes at me and saying that 'all' quad exercises involve either squats or exercise bands, I told him that i had faith that he could come up with some that didn't. He had me do wall squats (really?!? kinda sounds like a squat to me) which I couldn't do very well. He had me standing on my operated leg only and catching a ball he would throw to me (he probably wanted to throw it AT me, but whatever) and a couple other new exercises. I didn't lose any flexion or extension on my time away, so that was good.

My knee has been tight and sore and swollen all day, but apparently that's just my reality. I am going to attempt to take the doggies for a short walk. I need to stop being afraid of trying 'new' things for fear of what my knee will have to say because apparently regardless of what I do - too much or nothing at all, I still end up with a swollen knee that hurts. Boo.

I have my new house inspection in a few hours as well, so wish me luck on everything! xoxoxo
 
Oh @DogLoverx3 I'm glad PT was reasonable. Wow, how exciting you're going to your new house. I can't wait to read your post when you get back if you do one. I hope that you will, they're always good to read and I really do enjoy them as do others on this site x x x I'm glad you're going out it seems like we've had similar thoughts about trying to move on with this. Xoxoxoxox:puppysmooze:
 
Hi Ellen: It doesn't sound like your PT is very good at listening eh? I think standing on one leg while playing "catch" might be a bit radical, at least to start with.... what might be a better start would be just standing on the op leg while you unload the other one and graduate to lifting the unloaded one up an inch or two while you move it around, back and forth, left and right. All those little micro-movements it takes to keep your balance will provide good exercise without having to face someone rolling his eyes at you!... And you do it can several times a day in your kitchen or wherever you can put a hand on something as needed. ... Next thing you know you'll be doing it with your left foot behind your right knee, palms together over your head, while standing on the roof of your new house, and shouting "Yes I can!" .... well maybe not... but absolutely take doggies out for a walk so they can sniff & snuff and distract you: that's what they do best! :puppysmooze:
Cheers, Al
 
Not sure I'm going to keep up with PT after today to be honest @saltyal . I wasn't thrilled with my PT's 'new' exercises. I watch some of the exercises that the other PT's have their knee patients do and they are much more what I was thinking of. Walking side to side, backwards, forwards, and other 'basic' things like yes, balancing on one leg while NOT having tennis balls thrown at me. I sooo appreciate your suggestions for me - they help a LOT as I have no clue how/what to do. I was planning on still going to PT because it kind of holds me accountable and I'm certain to do my exercises, but if they're not even going to watch when I do them to make sure my 'form' is even right, then why am I still paying them?

Hahahaha @mtnchyld , they actually had me stand on my 'good' leg and try the ball thing just to insure that yes, I'm just that uncoordinated and it's not just my surgical leg that lacks the ability to balance. :umm:How are you feeling today??

Hiya @Nana moon 27 ! Just got back from my home inspection and the report came back pretty clean aside from a couple of plumbing and handyman issues. However, there was a very er, delicate situation that came up. The seller is a lovely 86 year old woman who is absolutely darling and very very sweet. When I walked in today, there was a specific odor that hit me that I am certain was not there on Saturday. It was quite strong and it's going to be hard to bring up in the requested repairs. You know when you walk into a house and you can smell the pet odors? Like cat urine? Uhm, she doesn't have a cat. And it was of the human variety. :blush: NO clue how my agent is going to bring it up or ask for it to remedied. With a long close of escrow too, she's in there for another 6+ weeks. I can't believe I didn't notice it on Saturday! I do still love the house though .... I may just have to change out all the flooring before I can move in. Hmmmm
 
Oh, and I attempted to take the dogs for a walk today. All 3 of them. My 2 old men and my spastic 3 year old. Suffice it to say that Bean (the young one) was less than pleased at my slow as molasses pace. We only made it one cul de sac over before I had to turn back as he was pulling on me too much and my knee wasn't appreciating it. If dogs could talk I think he totally would have told me where to go with my lame teaser walk. :tantrum:
 
Thanks @saltyal , now tell that to Bean :heehee::puppysmooze: I'll try again tomorrow ... or maybe the next day ... or maybe find someone to walk with me who can handle Bean while I take Dickens & TJ (17 & 16 respectively and much more content to go at a snail's pace) :umm:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I'm glad things went ok. I was laughing about the odour thing, that was so funny the way you put it. I don't know how they'll address this did the realtor say anything to you after the visit tonight?

The PT thing could you not try a different one? The exercises saltyal suggests are good. That ball thing was stupid you must've felt like a coconut waiting to be hit by a ball at a fairground. I'd've been scared of that one.

I am very tired a bit uncomfortable cos I didn't take my meds on time. I hate how my knee looks when I stand up. x x x

I'm glad you're ok x I'll post tomorrow xox xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :puppysmooze:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3

Well my knee is shouting at me today for exercising it yesterday. So today is a rest day.

I don't know what it was last night but my mobile phone didn't stop. It's suddenly like people have remembered about me. Between text messages and whatsapp is nearly went round the twist! It was nice my people contacted me but I'm talking 10,30 at night! I suspect a wine bottle in amongst this somewhere!

I do hope that your knee is ok after your dog walking. I was a bit concerned when you said that Bean had pulled you a bit because that does put quite a strain on your knee. The other thing was I was trying to say in the other post is can you not sack this PT and get another?

I had to smile today. A young lady that I do limericks with on this site has changed her profile pic and she's standing next to a petting zoo sign. It reminded me of last year when I was out and about on holiday with my family and grandchildren. One of my teenage grandchildren said "ooh Nan stay right there we want to take your picture!" So, always being willing to go along with what the kids want, I stood and I posed and they took the pic but people around started laughing. I immediately checked my dress in case there was a problem. Looked at my shoes, you know all the stuff you do in a panic. And the laughter got worse. Anyway, it turned out the little rascals, the teenage grandchildren and my kids had taken a photo of me right underneath a sign that said £2.00 a ride :heehee: We were at a zoo where an offer for children was that they could ride a pony for £2.00 I went bright red which is unusual but then I just howled with laughter but I was a bit embarrassed!! My husband couldn't breathe for laughing because of their cheek to their Nan. I forgave them, needless to say, it was just a teenage prank but I honestly think it was funny on hindsight. My grown up kids were all but on the floor laughing.

I hope you are ok. My earlier post is a bit rubbish but I was uncomfortable and overtired when I wrote it.
Today I am doing nothing but a bit of pottering around the house. That is it!!!! Please have a great day and stay in touch xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxox :puppysmooze:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DogLoverx3 maybe its the woman or her clothes...i.e. maybe something happened between your last visit and the most recent one? whew...that would make me crazy. As for walking the dogs, again, my admiration at your attempt...keep on keepin' on! As for me, well today is a new day. hehe. Doc stepped down my meds, not happy about that, and my hip has started screaming (bursitis from favoring my left knee for so long) and the last cortisone shot did not help much...will start taking anti-inflammatory soon as my Coumadin is almost done. Did my exercises but knee is still really hard and painful to bend. So I will keep on keepin' on! Have a great day!
 
Oh hello @DogLoverx3 - haven't you been a busy girl? I was a bit distracted yesterday with all that contract business, but I got what I wanted and can now on catch up with all the news today. Except this site is causing my computer major issues so it is continuously crashing - and now I have just found that my mobile phone service is down. Grrrrr.... Beam me up Scotty! This day is not going to plan .....

Glad you still love your new house, but awkward about the odour problem. It may just be one odd accident since you first visited, that hasn't been dealt with adequately or some laundry waiting to be done? However, I know that if it was me I would be obsessively sniffing and fumigating whether the smell remained or not. Hopefully the problem is confined to one room - or as @mtnchyld said, the lady herself? If its in the carpet I reckon it will need replacing. You'll need an enzyme-based solution to lift or neutralise. Best advice would be from a firm that deal with flood/fire disasters - they would know the most effective products to remove deep-seated odours.

Talking of unwanted smells ........ your PT! Words fail me. I get that regular visits keep you on track, but he doesn't seem to be much of a listener and not much help. I simply do not believe that all quad exercises are band or squat based. What about accident victims? They work on all their muscles with strengthening exercises even when bed bound.
I have to do the balancing on operated leg thingy as one of my exercises - then moving my arms around - then with my eyes shut - but not having balls aimed at me! I was told this is for core stability when you encounter uneven surfaces/broken paving etc. I loathe squats and don't have to do them on land - they are much more pleasant in the pool. Sitting down onto a low chair slowly and controlled with arms X'd and standing up again similarly slowly and smoothly is another of my strength building ones, that I believe achieves similar.
I think you need to finish with this PT - then go somewhere completely different for an assessment of your current situation and get some associated exercises for what you need to develop now. Not just the set exercises for post-TKR patients. Perhaps you could arrange an hour's session to include assessment; exercises and a chart for you to follow at home?

Well - got to go and pay a heap of bills (groan). Husband sounds happy, he is down at the seaside getting his boat prepared ready for racing to start in a couple of weeks time. Have a good day and talk later.
X
 
Hi dogloverx3 my day has not been good I'm afraid the pain has overtaken me and given me the weeps. All I did today was loaded the dishwasher, made apple crumble and a banana strawberry loaf cake and then pegged out a small amount of washing. I have rested up here to avoid the stairs I'd upped my morphine this morning and took my paracetamol by the clock. I still blooming hurt, ouch. I've elevated and iced most of the day. I feel like I'm waiting for 9.30 so I can take my morphine and hope it works. I may take 10mg now to kick start it I'm beginning to get desperate with the pain now. Xxxxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom