PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I would be interested in seeing that diagram also. It helps me understand my situation better to see the structure of the complex knee.
 
I tried googling it but the pictures were small and complicated and got fuzzy when I zoomed in on them.
 
With the unusual and weird or painful sensations you have had with your knee, worsened overall since surgery? Have you had any scans done to diagnose your condition?
 
With the unusual and weird or painful sensations you have had with your knee, worsened overall since surgery?
I did not have theses sensations and discomforts before surgery. I didn’t notice them early on after, probably because of the usual early months of recovery. I guess it was last fall when I started wearing capris and pants as the weather got cooler that I noticed it.

I do believe there is nerve damage, or just a highly upset nerve. The foot on my unoperated leg has a major nerve issue that no one knows what to do with and I don’t know for sure what triggered it, but I have a suspicion. My knee is now acting just like my foot.
Have you had any scans done to diagnose your condition?
No, neither my surgeon or my second opinion surgeon has offered this. The second opinion surgeon put me on gabapentin before I even had a chance to mention these sensations. I agreed to take it because, like I said, I do think it’s a nerve issue.

However, I do not think all my knee issues are from nerves, but maybe it is. Time will tell. I sure don’t want surgery again, so why not see if gabapentin is the answer.

I think I have symptoms of a loose implant and also symptoms of a mal tracking patella. My surgeon said nothing about these issues, and my second opinion surgeon briefly looked at one X-ray and said it wasn’t loose and I didn’t have time to ask about the patella. He whizzed in and through the appointment and out again, I saw him maybe 15 minutes. He was not interested in my list of concerns, he took the paper and set it aside.

So. I’m back to the Time theory:
Time to recover
Time for pain and swelling to settle,
Time to heal.

I have little, if any, swelling. My bend continues to improve. Maybe, hopefully, I just need still more Time to heal. And I will give the gabapentin a fair chance. My guess is he’s going to have to increase the dosage.

I’ve written a book here, thanks for listening. :console2:
 
I always write books on most of my posts. I do like to hear, and give, detailed info and explanations.
If it was me, I would have a list of my questions, and tell the OS that you have this list, very early in the visit, so he knows to leave time for them.
I also would ask him if he thinks that ordering at least an X-ray could further help to diagnose you.
Time does tell most things, I agree with that.
Nerves do take a LONG TIME to heal, too.
Hopefully your symptoms will continue to improve, but if not, you can proceed to the next step.
Do you have any more consults scheduled?
I think it is your privilege to be assertive with your health care, otherwise you may get run over :what: :sigh: :blush:
 
I pulled out my list first thing. He would not look at it or let me read it. He took it and set it aside.

This dr came highly recommended. I didn’t like the way he treated me, but I can’t discount what he said. I do believe he’s one of the best. The office did scan my list of concerns, so it is in my file.

I did have another consult scheduled a week after this first one, but I postponed it because I decided I needed to give the gabapentin a chance to work, and have something more conclusive with this first consult before seeing someone else.

At the moment I don’t have a third option.
 
@Josephine Do you have a diagram of the knee and the nerves that surround it?
Well it just took me about 45 mins to create this but I thought it was important. Because you can't just focus on the nerves, the circulation is just as important. If one is disrupted then the other will be too!

You can see here how there are quite a lot of arteries around the knee joint, all quite close together. And the nerves are quite big ones too both at the front and the back. So you can see that any amount of swelling and other disruption can be troublesome

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
@Josephine Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. I really find all your diagrams much easier to see than the ones I google.

@kayow11 will be happy to see this, too, as well as others, I’m sure!

I have circled the area where I have the most discomfort. Still waiting for the gabapentin to kick in. 2 weeks down. Hopefully some relief by next weekend?

Thanks again!
 
@Josephine, thanks for putting together the diagrams. It does help us to see more details of where other important things are that we may not have even thought that much about.

It also helps to explain why we have so many weird and unusual symptoms because of the disruption of several of these structures during surgery, and the resultant swelling afterwards for weeks and months and in some cases, years.

It truly is a very complex joint. And it sure makes sense why I still have problems when I think of the invasion and repair done there. But it also scares me and gives me doubt as to how can I ever be normal again. I still have so many symptoms compared to most people and it can seem at times that they may never leave. But hopefully I just need more healing time even if it's years. Right?
 
@Jockette. I was thinking of you today and wondered if the medication was helping. It is so frustrating when doctors dismiss your concerns and rush through the appointment. Sometimes, I think they have lost their empathy. This is such a tough journey and you want (and need) someone to listen. Take care.
 
Hi, @4quilts, how are you? I went to bed a while ago and couldn’t sleep, so I’m back up, just in time to see your post!

I’m doing ok. It’s as much a mind thing as a physical recovery, don’t you think?

How is your recovery going?
 
I am doing okay. I posted an update on my thread.

It is a mind thing. I know that I will be totally healed, just not on my schedule. I make the effort to remember how far I have come since the surgery and MUA because it is easy to get discouraged. We just have to keep thinking positive.
 
I did see your post when I went back to the list of threads and responded.

Some of us have a really tough time with this recovery. You’re right about how easy it is to get discouraged, and that we need to try to stay positive. But sometimes that’s really hard. :console2:
 
I still have so many symptoms compared to most people and it can seem at times that they may never leave. But hopefully I just need more healing time even if it's years. Right?
I doubt it will be years, my dear. But it might be a few months. However, don't fret because almost everyone has these kinds of symptoms at one time or another. Even me, with my stellar recovery (knee #2) had a rather nasty bout of cellulitis and neuropathy which lasted about 4 months but it went away eventually.
 
@Josephine, your post did encourage me. But my first knee is one year old already as of two weeks ago.

Of course I have had two surgeries since then on the other leg, but I do think first knee was traumatized from having to deal with that.

My newest knee is three months old now. So for me, I am just counting the days as they go by, and each month I am happy that I am farther along in this process and hopefully at least a tiny bit better.

I pray that one year from now, or less, I will look back on this and realize how fast the time really did go. This whole past year has almost seemed like a waste in my life, but if these both heal up pretty good, I will realize that was a silly thought, and just a means to an end.

It's hard to be positive many days though despite that I say uplifting things to encourage others, and I really do believe it, but can't say my situation looks or feels rosie currently.
 
Some of us have a really tough time with this recovery. You’re right about how easy it is to get discouraged, and that we need to try to stay positive. But sometimes that’s really hard. :console2:

REALLY hard! I am literally counting down my 12 months from the MUA.
 
I stopped counting down months ago. My recovery is way past it’s expiration point. Right now, it is what it is.
 
My recovery is way past it’s expiration point. Right now, it is what it is.
Yep, that's pretty much how I feel. There are still a lot of things I do that upsets this knee. Last night was a bad one for it. Other nights I won't even know it's there. Cause and effect. I hate it. It makes me feel so old. Then, I am blessed cause I can do steps normally and ride my outside bike. This new knee will never be perfect. I hope lefty never has to be replaced!
 
Does anyone else have tinnitus? Since starting gabapentin almost 3 weeks ago my tinnitus, that was at a manageable level, is now very loud. Every time I take a step to fix something, it causes something worse. :bawl:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom