PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders! I’m going to assume now that the rest of the recovery is going to go well, and any set backs from any ODIC will be righted with time.

The X-rays were fine, everything is where it’s supposed to be, I took pictures and he answered my questions about about the X-rays.

I wanted to come away from this appointment encouraged, and I did!

If I start to worry again in the future you can give me a “Gibbs slap”!!! :no-fin:

Thanks again for all your words of encouragement, they mean so much to me.
 
Way to go Jockette.....you rocked that appointment with your OS! Now enjoy life and the rest of your recovery!
 
Hahaha, I just knew it would go well! Huzzah @Jockette! Do something fun to celebrate your new found relaxation!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yahoooey!!!! So glad your appt went well - relax, chill, and enjoy recovery on your own time and in your own way. Very happy for you!!! :loveshwr::egypdance:
 
Awesome! Great news about the state of your knee. It's such a joy and relief to hear good news at an appointment we thought might not go well. Hip, hip, Jockette. You rocked it!
 
@Pheebs52 The chair in the waiting room was still uncomfortable so I just wandered around the waiting room a bit, and the wait wasn’t long, it usually isn’t.

@kmak81230 I told them I didn’t want to get up on that table and just sat in a chair and did my bending from there!

I had total charge of the appointment today!!!!! I feel empowered :wowspring:
 
So glad you took charge! Eventually, many of us start to think, "I'm not doing THIS anymore!" Whenever we get to that place, we find the gumption to speak up.
 
Today when getting out of the car I purposely didn’t open the door all the way and got out fine! I said to my husband, did you see that?!!!! He said yes, he was happy, too! That happened in the garage the other day also, so maybe it’s a trend!

I can also now sit down on a chair with my knee bent, and not have to put my operated leg out in front of me first!

These things we didn’t even think about before surgery are such milestones now.

At 7 months post op I am seeing improvements, finally. There was a long plateau there for a while.

I’m so happy!:spin:
 
Take hold of those great monumental improvements! That's great. I remember when I started pulling into the garage versus backing in lol. Backing in, I could get out and go straight to the door.
 
These are great victories @Jockette! You’re on a roll![emoji106]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good job! These steps forward will keep happening until one day you won’t even think about it! For now celebrate every milestone no matter how small!
 
@Celle

Question on consent,

If I verbally say no to part of a procedure during surgery, but what I said no to is in the consent form I had to sign, will my verbal no be honored?

If it’s a procedure that I am awake for, I can see that I would be better able to make sure it doesn’t happen. But what about if I’m “out” and therefore have no control of the situation.

I was just thinking about funkymuse and the MUA her doctor wants to do “while he’s in there”, and that other post a while back where the woman woke up with the partial when she said she wanted a total.
 
good for you @Jockette taking charge of your surgeon appointment and great news about the x-rays showing everything is in the right place.:flwrysmile:
 
@liam2015 Thanks! That appointment was a turning point for me. Knowing that my X-rays are fine, and my surgeon was fine with where I am, which he didn’t seem to be the last time I saw him) I was able to relax and just let my knee have “the privilege of sorting itself out” (to quote Josephine)
 
@Celle

Question on consent,
If I verbally say no to part of a procedure during surgery, but what I said no to is in the consent form I had to sign, will my verbal no be honored?

I believe that your verbal withdrawal of consent should be honoured and the procedure should not be done.

Have a look at this article:
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
Amongst other things, it says this:
"If they change their mind at any point before (or during the procedure where appropriate), the person is entitled to withdraw their previous consent.

Some findings by the General Medical Council1, NHS Choices1, the British Journal of Medical Practitioners2, NCBI article3
1. A competent patient has the right to refuse treatment and their refusal must be respected, even if it will result in their death. If they change their mind at any point before the procedure (or during where appropriate) the person is fully entitled to withdraw their previous consent."
​
As for the surgeon who proceeded with a PKR when his patient had expressly given consent for a TKR, I would say he was on dodgy legal ground. Not the sort of action a wise surgeon would undertake.
 
It is interesting (?) what the general public thinks about knee replacement. I was talking with someone this morning about my concern that my partial most likely will have to be replaced, maybe sooner than later. Her response was, “but you were too young for a total, they only last 20 years”. I told her that was not true, they last 30-40 years, and they look at the condition of your knee, not your age. (and I am 61)

She has not had a knee replacement and hasn’t needed one. Her husband has had many knee issues, at least one surgery that I know if. They are big into PT.

Early in my recovery this person told me how important going to PT was so they could get me my ROM. I had found Bonesmart at that point so I knew it was not true, and we were texting, so I did not correct her.

Once again, expectations of others, especially those who have not experienced knee replacement/and have not found Bonesmart.

Just needed to vent!
 
Last edited:
i know what you mean Jockette. i just have the conversation one time, usually only with close friends or family members and if they argue, i just don't discuss it anymore and instead, i show them how well i'm doing. to see me walk, you would never know i had knee replacement. i don't discuss the one thing i can't do ~ will show them that i can do, when the time comes. after all is said and done, if the subject comes up again, i will probably discuss what i learned on Bone Smart and how much it helped me. i can't imagine what a wreck i might have been if i hadn't found this forum. i might have pursued physio (which never phoned me as they were supposed to) and i would have been devastated at my so-called slow recovery and would have allowed them to do whatever they wanted even if it hurt me. people have to realize that there's more than one way ~ what works for one individual doesn't necessarily work for another. i agree with you, the general public believes that this recovery takes a whole lot of hard work and pushing through pain with exercise. i might have thought that too until i experienced it myself. same goes for other issues, such as dog training methods and tools, but i won't get into that.:censored:
 
I don’t know what I would have done, either, if I hadn’t found Bonesmart.

As soon as PT started taking days to recover from I started googling stopping therapy because I felt it was counterproductive at that point. And I sure wasn’t motivated to keep going with it and hurt that bad afterward.

I do wish the medical professionals would encourage us more to relax and let time heal things rather than jumping in so quick to interfere!

I don’t think I will ever trust a PT again after the things I’ve read about them on here and my personal experience. I know there are some good ones out there, but they seem to be few and far between. The only way to be sure they won’t hurt you is to not be anywhere near them (either with home PT or in their office!)

Thankfully there is another approach to recovery and we found it!
 
I agree with so much you say. I found BoneSmart before my surgery and, being an early adopter of anything that makes sense (I have a medical background) and might help me ace recovery, I buckled down. I wanted to see if the BoneSmart way worked. I more or less proved it did.

My surgeon was skeptical --until my 10 day checkup when I could bend my knees under the chair, and my seven week check-up when I walked, sans cane, like a champ. He was intrigued by BoneSmart --his big rehab order is that his patients do daily activities, some bends and stretches (through PT), and walk a lot. The outpatient PT guy was skeptical, but I might have won him over a little even though I never did do the leg presses or ankle weights. I didn't tell my mom, who I knew would have told me to do everything PT said.

My sister was funny. "I'm not doing PT at home, just some easy stuff in the facility," said I. "I couldn't afford it, so I didn't do any," she said. "But don't tell Mom."

Still, whenever I meet someone to compare TKR notes, they say "Wow! You're doing so good. You must have done all your PT!"

I think part of the general mindset is that TKR is a major, difficult surgery, so must have a difficult recovery. :shrug:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom