Guest viewing is limited

TKR My 2nd knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rutroe

I am in the same boat as you. My first tkr was relatively easy, but my second has been more difficult (much more swollen, wound that tunnelled and didn't heal, necessitating surgery today, more fatigue, and achey). I chalked it up to the fact that the second one wasn't nearly as damaged as the first so it wasn't such a huge improvement in pain. Plus, I feel it was harder to have two new knees during the rehab for the second. I hope things get better for you!!

Jen
 
@ACDCJen thank you sure hope yours gets better

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
@Celle I'm not taking anything else that has Tylenol in it! Maybe that will help with the pain. Thank you

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
It's only a short while since you had your surgery. Perhaps you also need something a bit stronger than Tylenol. Ask you surgeon or your own doctor (PCP/GP) if they will prescribe Tramadol, to take in conjunction with the Tylenol, on a regime such as this one that Josephine put together.
The first chart is for 4-hourly doses and the second one for 6-hourly. As long as you're not taking any other medications, the total amounts in these charts are within the safe totals for 24 hours.
[Bonesmart.org] My 2nd knee replacement
 
The problem Celle, is that the surgeon has cut her off and referred her to "pain management" which I surmise is what docs do when they don't want to be bothered managing pain themselves. I doubt the PCP will take it on under these circumstances but it could be worth a try.
 
I got an appointment in the mail I guess my surgeon made without me knowing with pain management but I had already made an appointment with another clinic

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
Whichever appointment you go to, I hope that they are helpful.

Of course, if you don't like the advice you get from the first one, go to the second appointment and see if you find more help there.
 
I just want some relief!!! It's making me go bonkers with the pain!

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
Until you see someone who will help, make sure that you are taking the Tylenol 4 times a day, 1,000 mg each time.
Spend as much time as you can resting, icing and elevating your knee.

Icing it is good for relieving pain. You can ice almost continuously, as long as you have some material between the icing equipment and your skin - so you don't get frost bite.
 
I've been taking the Tylenol every 6 hours and I can really tell when it's getting close to time. I have two nice ice packs and a mini cooler so taking turns with all of them. I usually fall asleep with the ice on but I always put something between me and the packs. Been using the heating pad on my back because it hurts. Doing some exercised but as soon as it bothers me I stop! I am so afraid this knee is not going to have ROM

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
Doing some exercised but as soon as it bothers me I stop! I am so afraid this knee is not going to have ROM
It's very sensible to stop doing the exercises as soon as they start to bother you.

Don't worry about not getting ROM. It's there inside your knee all the time. You don't have to do lots of exercises to get ROM because it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Have you been told that you need to work hard at exercises, in order to get ROM? That's an old-fashioned belief and it isn't true at all.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
[URL='https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/bonesmart-philosophy-for-post-op-therapy.37103/']BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
[/URL]
[URL='https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/bonesmart-philosophy-for-post-op-therapy.37103/'][/URL]
Another thing to remember is that you don't have to achieve ROM within a certain arbitrary time frame. ROM can continue to increase for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
[URL='https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-its-worth-the-wait-for-rom.10703/']ROM: it's worth the wait for ROM

ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM![/URL]
 
I'm not sure if anyone said it or it was something I had in my head. I try to do some of the exercises but as soon as it hurts I stop. I just feel like without having the meds to help that I'm not progressing like I should.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
Try not to worry about where you "should" be at. We all progress at different rates whether we're having med problems or not. Hang in there. :console2:
 
Thank you

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
Oh yay! Now I'm having panic attacks!!!

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
Not sure just feeling overwhelmed

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
Is there anything in particular you're worrying about? Anything we can help you with?

Hang in there. Things are going to get better.
 
Just so tired of hurting

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
So the pain specialist increased my gabapentin and put me back on pain meds! At least I can make it through PT without crying !!!! Walking somewhat better!!

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom