Bilateral PKR Muscleflex in recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
some people talk about crying and screaming throughout physio and people are telling them "no pain, no gain."
All this gets you is more pain and inflammation. I know many physios and indeed surgeons advocate this approach. But I'll bet if they have been through TKR they would change their tune.
 
I've been in another forum that really pushes physio from day one - telling everyone it is a "must." some people talk about crying and screaming throughout physio and people are telling them "no pain, no gain." that just didn't feel right to me!

This reminds me of when I had ACL repair back in the late 80's, when, post surgery you awoke with a your leg in a full cast. The cast stayed on for 6 weeks then I attended physio. Day 1 the physiotherapist had me lay prone on a table and had me bend my knee as far as I could, which was not too far as you can imagine what 6 weeks in a cast would do. Well, his next move was to grab my ankle and push my heel forcefully to my butt! Well, I was in tears from the pain and had a few choice words for him. He continued on for about a minute and afterwards said he'd be doing this every time I went in. After that episode my knee swelled up so badly that I couldn't bend my knee for a few days afterwards. I never did go back to PT and did all my own exercises at home. There is no need to force the knee into pain. My way was slow and easy listening to what your body is telling you.
When I have my BTKR surgery I will be doing my own physio and follow along with bonesmart guidelines. This to me seems like the best approach.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to update my thread - just went for my 6 week followup with my surgeon. I was a little afraid of what his reaction may be when I told him that I have done ZERO physiotherapy, but it didn't seem to faze him. He just kinda shrugged and said I could probably do my own thing and I'll be fine. He was quite happy with my progress and told me that there are no limitations on what I can do exercise and activity wise once I am fully healed.

I continue to read (in other groups) about people putting themselves through months of grueling physiotherapy that are no further ahead than I am right now. People literally saying they are pushing themselves to tears/screaming/almost throwing up in pain!

So glad I chose to do things the Bonesmart way!
 
:spin::dancy::yay: Way to go @Muscleflex! So glad you chose a BoneSmart approach and have spared yourself unneeded pain and suffering! You are obviously on your way to having a good recovery, your futures so bright, you'll have to wear shades!:walking:
 
Just wanted to give an update - I'm 8 weeks PO tomorrow and went out shopping today! Was so excited that some stores started to open around here I had to get out! Used a crutch at times - then just used a shopping cart for some stability. Not sure how far I walked altogether, but it was through a mall and a grocery store - probably a couple miles. Felt great!
 
Shopping cart therapy worked wonders for me. I could use the cart for a little support and it really helped with proper heel toe walking. I would love to suggest that to people, but with Covid it's just not really practical right now.
 
@Legseleven You are unlikely to receive an answer from this member who has not been on the forum in years. If you look at the dates above the last posts, they were in 2021.
 
@Legseleven you can find a follow up thread by the O P here after she had her PKR revised:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom