Revision TKR Multiple Knee Replacements

@Momma-me
I'm sorry to read that you need more surgery.

While the surgeon will have to open up your knee again, a spacer exchange is quite a simple operation. It's just a matter of removing the plastic spacer from between the two metal components of your knee and then inserting a slightly thicker spacer. Then they stitch you up again.

You'll be sore at first, of course, and you'll be back to resting, icing and elevating for a while, but recovery will be faster than it was from the revision to TKR.

Putting in a slightly thicker spacer should tighten up your knee, which will, hopefully, cure the problem of your ligaments being a bit lax - so your knee should feel more stable.
 
Thank you for your responses.
All of this time, I have been wondering if my brain is just not remembering how to walk properly. I have been so frustrated with myself. I am not sure what the surgeon will say about it when I see him.... I mean, I wish it was something simpler than another surgery but we shall see. I'll keep ya'll posted!
 
@Momma-me I just found out this morning I have the same problem. I similarly described it as I felt like my foot just wasn't attached to that leg. I have not been able to get back to walking "normally" because I'm so reluctant to put weight on my leg and I've beat myself up many times about it. Not understanding why I couldn't just trust that leg. But this morning my OS verified there's too much play in there, he'd like to go in and put in a large spacer as my ligaments didn't tighten up as much as expected. So I'm facing another surgery too probably if I can figure out how to swing it. I just want to be back to normal again
 
I had a spacer exchange---my knee had too much play, about 2 degrees. he opened the knee along the same scar line and put in a new spacer a size bigger. My knee was immediately much more stable, I could feel the difference the first time i stood up--about 2 hours after surgery. I also had extensive adhesions in my left knee which he felt was a partial result of toomuch play but I also had quite a bit of bleeding in that left knee. He removed the adhesions at the time of the surgery.

the knee was pretty painful for the first two or three days, then, it slowly resolved the pain. I spent those first days lounging on the couch. I had a very slow recovery because of the adhesions, I would imagine that after a few weeks you would be almost back to speed if you don't have adhesions.

I had to rest the knee because my doc did not want me to exercise a warm, inflamed knee. as a result, i did almost nothing until week8 and next to nothing for two months.

The bottom line? I had the knee replaced in 2009. the spacer exchange was in 2011. I have skied 100 days on that knee for most of the years since. Now, I live in Minnesota and the skiing here is all green runs. I still ski, if you can call it skiing, but probably only 50 days a year. I am a ski instructor and I do teach here. But I bike about100 miles a week in the summer and the knee has been behaving itself so far.

Good luck with the surgery and try not to worry too much. Feel free to ask any questions.
 
@sondrals That describes my feelings about this exactly! I have said that as well.. I am afraid to put weight on it as it just doesn't seem stable and when I kick my leg out for the heel strike, the bottom half of my leg wobbles all-around before my heel hits, as if it is not connected to my body somehow. It's the weirdest thing to have to describe.
 
@skigirl thank you for your reply! I am so happy to read of success stories! Sounds like you are doing great!
 
Hello friends,
I saw the surgeon yesterday and yes, I need another revision.
My ligaments are all stretched out and I need a larger spacer.
This surgery is scheduled for April 14.
THEN... I will have my left knee totally replaced on May 18th.
So... should be a lot of FUN!! Yikes!!!!! :yikes:

I sure hope I will be able to regain function again and be pain free. It's been a VERY LONG journey to say the least!

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

I am wondering if anyone has filed a medical malpractice lawsuit against their surgeon? I hate to ask this question but the surgeon I have now told me that what was done to me in NY was completely inappropriate and against all basic orthopedic standards of care and should have never happened. I have been out of work with no income and not able to even walk, since 2016. I am so furious that this has happened to me and this has taken a huge toll on me physically, mentally and emotionally., Not to mention, drained me financially. It has ruined my career and I don't even know if I'll ever be able to go back to work. Someone suggested to me I have a medical malpractice case but I don't even know if I have the emotional stamina to pursue it
 
I'm glad you have a surgery date! And how exciting that you'll have the other done as well.

Sorry I don't know much about malpractice suits, the only thing I've heard which may be totally wrong is that they're really hard to prove. We tried to get my mom an attorney after her surgeon basically put her intestines back in wrong (long story) but no one would take her case despite things obviously being done wrong.
 
Wow Sondrals, I am sorry that happened to your mom! How terrible! Yes you are correct; they are hard to prove. Probably more work than worth it in most cases
 
You can always talk with a malpractice attorney. It's possible to be successful IF you can prove your case. That is sometimes pretty difficult to do, though. You will need a lot of documentation on what happened when and the result of each action. While it would be nice if your current surgeon would provide a written statement to you saying what he told you about your previous surgery, I'm doubting if that will happen. But....it never hurts to ask if you want to try and pursue legal action.

If you choose this route, also be prepared for a long haul and a lot of emotional days. Lawsuits can be pretty brutal on the person bringing suit. Sometimes it's better just to move on and focus on the future once you get through recovery from your knees.
 
Hello ALL,

I am wondering if any of you had 2 knee surgeries (maybe bilateral TKRs) at the same time and would you recommend it?
For some reason, my surgeon wants me to have the one surgery and then wait 4 weeks and have the other. I am very healthy so not sure of his reasoning???

Thoughts?
 
Do you need another revision and a tkr? I wouldn't recommend doing them together. Your first knee has already been through so much, it might knee more work and healing than your old one. But, you can clink on the Bilateral TKR prefix on the Knee Recovery page and it will take you to all those that have had a bilateral replacement. I don't remember anyone having a revision and tkr at the same time, but there might be.
 
ok, I need some more advice!!!!

Every single day my knee becomes more unstable. So much so that I cannot put any weight on it. It is wobbling everywhere, and "slipping" and buckling. My hips and back are KILLING me. I don't know what to do!? I feel like it has "detached" from my body (??)
I also am getting this bad pain that is inside my shin bone and travels down to my foot.
It's crazy because it was "tolerable" about 2 weeks ago, and literally has gone downhill SO FAST it's making my head spin.
My revision isn't until the middle of April. What am I supposed to do until then? I can't walk at all!!!!!
I have a call into my surgeon. It's just so crazy... I feel trapped in my body
 
Maybe see if they can move your surgery up? I’m sorry you’re getting worse. Revisions are supposed to fix things, not make things worse. :console2:
 
Yes, do try and move up your surgical date. Are you using crutches or a walker? Either one should help you keep your weight off of your leg and lower that pain.
 
I'm so glad you got your surgery date moved up! That will be here before you know it.
 
HI everyone,

I saw the NP today for preop stuff and she said I also have genu recurvatum, which apparently is a fancy term for hyperextension. I guess this is also a complication post TKR (and quite rare?) which causes instability and sometimes hard to treat.
Naturally I have some hyperextension to my knees (cant remember degree) but this is something that happened since the surgery.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
 
I have a problem with hyperextension in my tkr knee also. I have always had it in both knees, so it doesn't concern me. My extension was slow coming back after the replacement but is -0 now.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom