TKR Muldoh’s one year old TKR!

@Wolvesfan Thank you, thank you, thank you! I so appreciate your response, and you really summed up what I am feeling! The “novelty of recovery” was a perfect description, and while I reveled in my early progress, I’m starting to become discouraged. It was very good to hear from you that it does get much better!

I had terrible nausea on oxycodone in the hospital and then at home. They switched me to hydrocodone but same problem. In the hospital they gave me an anti-nausea med but my ortho never offered that at home. Wish I had thought to call my primary care doctor about it or just to ask my ortho but I was in a fog. Tramadol finally worked for me. I was told it wouldn't control my pain as well as the others and I think that was right but the nausea was intense and I couldn't eat on the other two. I took it and tylenol. I'm now 5 weeks post-op and not using it. Doing the tylenol and ibuprofen regime. I'm scheduled for my second knee in September so appreciate your discussion of this issue. I'll have a chat with my doc about pain meds before my surgery this time!

@Bikeknit
Yes, not being able to use pain meds certainly does add another dimension to this whole thing, especially in the beginning! And I also had problems with the anti-nausea med (zofran) as it seemed to increase my headaches. But knowing your struggles this time around will hopefully make it easier for you when September comes. Maybe there are other meds that your OS can prescribe that might be more kind to your stomach. I wish you well as you move forward!

@Bikeknit and @Muldoh ... I had terrible nausea with the pain meds, too. Zofran didn’t work for me, so I was prescribed a generic form of compazine, and that did the trick. I only needed it for a couple of days. Might be worth asking about!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my OS doesn’t recommend PT, so I feel a little like I’m on my own.
As for my experience, I think you are better on your own. There's no pressure and you can concentrate on healing more. You also learn to listen to your knee and discover what its likes and dislikes are. Keeping the aggressive movements down is the key to a better, less painful recovery. At least that is what I have learned through the years and 12 knee surgeries.

@Muldoh i am having surgery 8/25. Just wanted to say your detailed progress reports and struggles are really helpful to learn from. So thank you ! Also wondering what breed of dog ? Mine is on my pic with my knee where he is saying “I want to go for a walk”. He’s a schnoodle.

@Moriah
Thank you for your post, and I’m so glad to hear that my recovery thread is helpful to you. To be honest I was pretty sure I was getting more out of it than anyone else would, but I guess that’s just my mindset right now ;) this form has certainly been helpful to me and I’m sure you will feel the same many times as you move through your journey. I wish you luck on the 25th and will be anxious to hear how you do. And your dog is adorable :) Ours is a mini golden doodle, and he is a love. One of the toughest things with this TKR is that my 0S said I needed to keep him pretty much away from me for at least 4 to 6 weeks until my incision is healed. The worry I guess is infection. And although keeping him completely away has been nearly impossible, he has been banned from the bed, lol. Best wishes

I agree with Wolvesfan, weeks 4+ were a different kind of challenges. Depression began and I've rarely been depressed. You are getting better but keep having setback days. I kept focussing on tiny signs of progress which was happening. My recovery was a slow one, now at one yr. I'm about to have my second one. I'm one brave soul as we all are in this recovery.

So five weeks today! Hooray...except too bad I don’t quite feel like celebrating yet. As a few of you have forewarned me, things have been wearing a little thin lately. Still pain, and although I have all the intentions to do things, once I start I’m exhausted and sore. I have made progress most definitely (rode the exercise bike for 5 whole minutes, lol) and on my good days I can definitely see that. But on the tough ones I’m still questioning myself as to why I would ever do this in the first place. But I have been warned about this, and I am looking forward to better days ahead! My scar is healing with only a little bit of scab left in the center. And I slept much better last night, only waking 3 times. So trying to focus on the positive.

As for my scar, since it is almost healed I have some questions as to how I should be treating it. I’ve done some reading about the dangers of scar tissue and adhesions and wondering what those in the community recommend. I won’t be seeing my OS until mid September so I appreciate all your feedback! Also, are there any strengthening exercises that you recommend? Not so much for the knee as for all the other muscles in my back and leg. I’m finding that I get really sore now that I am moving more. Thank you!

Attachments

• 310C7B2F-D212-40B6-A438-78B92CB1C4F1.jpeg
    310C7B2F-D212-40B6-A438-78B92CB1C4F1.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 226
I’ve done some reading about the dangers of scar tissue and adhesions
There is too much misinformation about “scar tissue” and it’s totally different from adhesions, which really don’t happen as much as we are told.

Also, are there any strengthening exercises that you recommend? Not so much for the knee as for all the other muscles in my back and leg. I’m finding that I get really sore now that I am moving more.
You are only 5 weeks into a year long recovery. Your whole leg is still upset from the onslaught of this surgery. Your leg will strengthen as you heal.

@Jockette
Thank you for the advice! I will leave it alone. PS... hope you did ok with the storm since I see you are from DE!

PS... hope you did ok with the storm since I see you are from DE!
I did fine. We got mostly heavy rain, the wind wasn’t too bad. We did have some tornadoes in the area but not at my house. I think the worst part of the storm was a bit west of me.

How did you fare?

@Jockette
We we’re ok too. I live in the Philly suburbs so lots of rain, wind and some area flooding, probably similar to you. Sure glad I didn’t have to evacuate with this knee ;)

So having a tough day...sore, achy and depressed. At 5 weeks post-op, I start out the day full of resolve, do a few things like throw on a wash and cleanup the kitchen, and then I’m done :( Ready to ice, elevate and lay on the couch. I’m swelling on the outside of the knee, and it feels a little warm. No signs of infection, I’m guessing just from more movement. I want to bike, but after just 5 minutes on the stationary bike, I’m done. With OS not recommending PT, I don’t have an expert to rely on so I’m trying to feel my way through. I guess I thought by 5 weeks I would be feeling better, but the pain is always there, the knee is always clicking, and I’m still limping around. its so hard not to feel defeated.

All you're feeling is normal at 5 weeks post-op, Muldoh.

Your knee is still upset after going through major surgery, so it's going to be easily upset if you try to do too much. We call this the angry tissue stage.
Have another look at this article, to see how much activity you should (or shouldn't) be doing.
Activity progression for TKRs

Remember, we also warned you about getting depressed - Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it - I think part of the problem is that, around this time in recovery we start to feel as if we should be almost recovered.
You seem to recover faster from other recoveries and within about 6 weeks you're feeling almost back to normal. Unfortunately, that's not so after a knee replacement. No matter how much we wish it could be faster, complete recovery from a TKR takes about a full year. Of course you'll be able to do most things long before thane, but it really does take all that time for 100% recovery.

Now, if the blues are really getting you down and you can't seem to come out of it at all, do go and see your own doctor. Sometimes a short course of anti-depressants an make all the difference.

hang in there.jpg
Hang in there, because things are going to get better - I promise you.

Thank you @Celle
I’m not usually such a whiner. Been through 5 C-sections, and a foot surgery so I thought I was prepared. But as you said, this one is different and I’m not bouncing back the way I thought. I appreciate the reality check. Since I’m also a worrier, it is very helpful to hear what I’m experiencing is part of the process. And I will definitely read the articles you highlighted. I can’t tell you what a godsend it is to have this forum, although as a moderator I guess you already know that!

What helped me the most was to read lots and lots of threads. Even some of the older threads were very helpful in letting me know what was normal.

I’m not usually such a whiner.
You're allowed to whine here. We've all been through a joint replacement and often we've felt the same emotions as you have now.
We know how family get tired or upset if we complain too much, but you're welcome to let your emotions out here.
We understand, and we're here as a shoulder for you to lean or, or to give you a virtual hug.
hugs.jpg

So having a tough day...sore, achy and depressed. At 5 weeks post-op, I start out the day full of resolve, do a few things like throw on a wash and cleanup the kitchen, and then I’m done :( Ready to ice, elevate and lay on the couch. I’m swelling on the outside of the knee, and it feels a little warm. No signs of infection, I’m guessing just from more movement. I want to bike, but after just 5 minutes on the stationary bike, I’m done. With OS not recommending PT, I don’t have an expert to rely on so I’m trying to feel my way through. I guess I thought by 5 weeks I would be feeling better, but the pain is always there, the knee is always clicking, and I’m still limping around. its so hard not to feel defeated.
Our recoveries sound similar! I’m five weeks and three days. I have had PT the entire time- three weeks at home and now I’m on my second week of outpatient. But my knee clicks, swells, and feels warm to the touch. I spend much of my day elevating and icing, then trying to walk around and complete my exercises, and household chores. It’s frustrating! But I’m trying to look at small improvements. Some days I do better than others. Some hours I do better than others! Good luck! I’m hoping this too shall pass and we’ll come out stronger and more mobile!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom