TKR Muddy Paws makes it thru!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your numbers look great. How much PT did they have you do? You're doing the right thing by taking the meds, icing and elevating. if the muscles in your thigh are sore, I sometimes found a heating pad to be helpful (just not on the knee)
 
Wow Muddypaws your doctor must really want to make sure you are not in pain, that is quite the med list. I had BTKR and I only use 10 mg percocet (oxycodone) every 4-5 hours and also have dilaudid in 2mg tablets that they only wanted me to take half of for break thru pain. With all of the other things you listed, no wonder you feel foggy. You might want to chat with doc about adjusting to a consistent yet lower level plan to keep you in a functional yet pain free zone. Good luck finding the right mix and levels that work for you.
Stacie
 
kneeper it didn't seem like a whole lot of PT when I was doing it. We worked on getting the quads to fire up ,so she had me Do the exercise of putting a pillow under my knee and lifting the lower part of my leg. The only problem was every time I went to raise my leg, she would very lightly help me lift it and the inside of my knee felt like it was exploding. I told her that ,so we stopped that but I think that was to much. I had much better range of motion and much less pain before we did the PT. Of course my tendons, ligaments and muscles are learning to move in a much different way than they have had to move in the last decade, so I am expecting pain as those adjust but Boy, was I super uncomfortable after that 1 session!! :groan:


VancouverUSAgal. I might have to do that ,although I told her up front that if she thought she was going to hurt me or push on my knee, then I wasn't responsible if my good leg all of a sudden made contact with her. I think that made her sit up and listen. :umm:

I'm going in for my post OP appointment tomorrow and am going to speak to my OS about the whopping pain that's on the inside of my knee. I have great extension , decent flexion but moving back and fourth between the two is a killer!
 
Well, I just got back from my post OP doctors appt and I am doing so well ,I get to kick the in home PT to the curb after only one visit. It seems I have 2* of extension, so basically straight, and a whopping 115 * of flexion after only 9 days! I can go to out patient PT if I want or I can work on it myself. He also said that if any PT person hurt me, I should whallop that person! Obviously he was kidding but I love the sentiment. :happydance: He said PT shouldn't hurt and it made the whole healing process take much, much longer if they were to aggressive! I love my OS
 
Hi muddy paws Great news!! :happydance: Your OS sounds just like mine and I thank my lucky stars every day!!:martini:
Wanda
 
Super report! Keep on keeping on what you're doing and don't do too much!
 
:yay: wow muddy paws - you are doing really well and your ROM is great

Do not let the OP PT push you recovery backwards - I had one outpatient visit with a PT who was all for pussing and using weights and all that happened is that progress went backwards - my local PT suggested no pushing or weights and just various stretches and the improvement was dramatic
 
My way, I am so blessed to have found such a wonderful, liberal minded surgeon that definitely believes in the Bone Smart mantra. I think all the other surgeons who have the mindset that aggressive PT is the only way to go ,should learn more about how that kind of PT can actually set you farther back. I'm extremely happy for you to have found a like minded surgeon. :martini:

Brithael. Thank you and I'm trying to contain myself from doing to much to soon. I will say my knee ( whom I have named Eunice, Uni for short) dictates all of my actions. I found that out yesterday after going to the Dr's and coming home to a very, very, very unhappy "girl"! Ugh. Ice , pain meds and elevation for me :umm:

puffin I just want to take the time to say how incredible happy I am for you now that you are finally on the mend. You are truly one of the bravest people I know after all you have been thru and I am honored you stopped over to my thread. You go girl!! :yay:
I am looking for a PT who is not going to be aggressive with my knee. Do you know how hard that is to find? My OS actually writes on his form "no aggressive or manual manipulations PT allowed". Of course that doesn't mean the PT people will honor that ,as we all know. :sigh:

I hope everybody has a wonderful, pain free, happy day and thanks for stopping by Eunice's and my thread. :egypdance:

Jen

RTKR 8/26/2013
MCL/meniscus repair 3/12/2013
 
Wow Jen, you are doing so well :) Your ROM and extension is way better than mine - hard to believe you are only 10 days out. You are going to be back riding those horses before you know it!

Sounds like you have struck gold with your OS. What a star! Just make sure your PTs follow his instructions and do not let them hurt Eunice :SUNsmile:

Have a great weekend and I hope you get to see your horses!
 
Jen, you are going well. PT is not suppose to cause you pain but I know they do. Usually the first consult they really are trying to see how much they can push you.

Being in the field I have already spoke to my own Physio and they are aware exactly how my recovery will be handled. I do not tolerate being pushed at any stage as I also have L5S1 disc prolapse and herniation. So I am quick to say STOP and the words NO.

One thing everyone should do at their appointment is to tell the PT what YOU the patient want from them. They will write this in your notes and if they are not prepared to take things easy then ask to have another PT. Seriously especially PT who have not long been out of training are going to push you really hard and that is because they are not open to listening to what a patient needs.

I had 4 PT students under my direction in the Aged Care Facility where I work and they had NO IDEA and they were 2 weeks off being qualified. I spent the time trying to teach the students how to manually handle people they seriously didn't know. After 4 years of study and they are let loose on elderly people I was shocked.

I hurt my back at work after I was assaulted by a male resident and required some physio. I got a new PT and he was so rough with me I made a report against him through my GP. MY Dr values my opinion and knows I will not tolerate anyone overstepping their influence on my body when I am in pain.

With so many drug allergies I try to take a lot of pain and do meditation and visualisation therapies.

So if you get a great OS and a great PT then you are double lucky.
 
Hi possum_here , I'm sorry you got hurt at work. That's not a fun thing. I am glad you reported the new PT to your GP! What is it with these PT people? Why do they think hurting you is the only way to go? My OS wrote me a script for PT that said NO weights, no resistance and absolutely NO manual manipulation EVER!! Now to find a PT person who will honor that might be the problem. Are you getting ready for your RTKR? It'll be over before you know it :)

I drove down to the barn on day 9 to see my horses and then walked across the yard to get to my hayloft to see how much hay i still have. Fortunately enough! i was incredably happy to have done a full revolution on the exercise bike yesterday. Of course my thigh is hurting today because I had to stretch it and it had to work properly. So here I am icing my thigh and my knee. I did get out today and throw the ball for the dogs, for which they were so grateful. Poor pups have been stuck either outside in the yard or inside in their crates. They really,really want their owner back to take them for walks. The weather has been so beautiful here I had to go out and enjoy it!

Hope everyone is enjoying the day and is relatively pain free

Jennifer
 
Hi muddy paws Good for you on making the revolution on the bike! It took me a while longer to that. I see you've been getting out and about. That's great but please don't get too brave yet. You didn't by any chance climb up to the hayloft!!!!!
please take it easy for a while yet.
Wanda
 
Ok, I am officially bored now!! Today I did walk down the hill to the barn, saw/ petted my horses, then walked back up the hill and iced my knee. I have been taking my pain meds on que and am doing quite well.

Josephine. I have not started out patient PT yet and am kinda wondering if I really need it? I have great 2 * extension and 120* of flexion, am doing my bike , leg lifts, quad stretches and squeezes and seem to be doing ok. I am still sleeping in the hospital bed I am renting, which allows me to sleep with my feet above my head, icing my knee for the whole night. When I wake up in the morning my knee is not swollen and feels quite good. The only exercise I am having trouble with is the motion of going from flexion to extension and back. I can do it fluidly but it hurts just about mid point, then once past that point it is fine. I massage my knee cap back / forth/ up/ down to keep it mobile.
Obviously at just 2 weeks I still hurt quite a bit but am feeling quite strong and relatively mobile. I do use my cane when needed and am only standing for a max of 15 mins before I sit back down and ice. If I am up much longer my knee starts to hurt and with the pain, I feel I am much more likely to take a misstep. Not something I want to do at this point in the game. I am thankful you are on this board and am wondering what you think. Thank you

My way, I do not have to climb a ladder to get into the hay loft but I did do the flight of stairs that leads up to it. Had to! I needed to check my hay status and will have to call for another 20 tons which, while I would love and usually do help put this up, I am going to let the guys do it. :yes!: Hope you are feeling wonderful today but Boy, is it hot in Boston today!
 
Hello muddy paws,
Are you in Massachusetts ? This weather is so horrid :yikes: I already took out my ac & am to lazy to put it back in.
I am truly looking forward to a great big nor'easter :happydance: I hate the heat. :hissy: but, do love the fall &
Winter.
I have lived in mass. All my 53 years, I feel I will never get out :heehee: I live 10 min. South of Boston.
You are really doing well in your recovery :)
Are you by any chance a Red Sox fan ?
Take care,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ....95 degrees & rising :thud:
 
So pleased you have been able to get to your horses and have some cuddles :happydance:It makes all the difference to the way we feel.
Jen, at only 2 weeks out you are doing fantastically well! I think you are being too hard on yourself and expecting too much. Your ROM is excellent and you are really mobile. I don't think you need PT! Seems like you can do everything already :)
 
Hi Diana,
Yes I am in Mass. I live very close to Acton. Ugh! I hear you about the heat! What's up with this?! It's Sept!! :doh: I'm tickled pink to hear you say you love the Fall and Winter. Me TOO!! I think this might happen to women of a certain age although truth be told I have always loved it cold. I couldn't believe how hot July was for heavens sake. I mean it was warmer here than it was in FLORIDA! I'm sorry, if I wanted to live in the south, I would have moved there! :headbang: Yup, heat is definitely making me cranky.

I am a native of Mass myself. All 52 soon to be 53 years. I don't want to get out although I would go back up to NH. Hubbie wants to go to Florida for 6 months out of the year because he hates the snow. Ugh! Really? I'm always telling him he can go and I'll stay here because I really do like the cold and snow!

How are you doing with your with your TKR?? Hope you are doing well. Where are you with your recovery?

Cheers Jennifer

P.S not a huge fan of Baseball but love the Patriots!!
 
Dear muddy,
My recovery is at 3 months 1 week. Went back to work 3 weeks ago :happydance: I am doing great. Life
Just about returned to normal :egypdance: I love the winter, I still am like a little kid when it snows, I make
Snow angels & catch flakes on my tongue :spin: one year I was laying down in a snow bank after shoveling &
My neighbor thought I had a heart attack :yikes:
I shovel snow barefoot ( I believe it keeps me from getting sick ) seems to work for me.
I also tell my kids ( 19-26 ) to leave the driveway for me to do.
I also love n.h lots of camping time spent there.
I am afraid we will have nothing to talk about in the sports dept. I am probably the only new englander who
Does not like the patriots or Tom brady :shrug: or his wife for that matter.
I am a huge Peyton manning fan...red sox are in my blood, since I was a little girl.
Have a great evening,
Diana...June sunbeams :SUNsmile:
 
hi there muddy paws I had visions of you climbing a ladder to the hayloft!:yikes: I guess I know very little about barns, farms and horse stables. Don't let the boredom start you thinking you can help move 20 tons of hay. That boredom is the hardest things to deal with during recovery. I went shopping on Monday and as there were no ill effects went for a longish walk yesterday. Mistake!! :headbang: Back to resting all day today and tomorrow as well I suspect. My knees are okay, just a bit stiff but, everything else is sore.
You are doing great this early in your recovery! keep on taking it slow and easy.It's the right way to go.:SUNsmile:
Your heat and humidity is coming my way for the weekend. I hate it as well.
new knee in June You guys may get your nor'easter as Gabby moves up. Well I hope you get some relief soon and back to normal fall weather. I love the late summer and fall as well.
Wanda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom