Bilateral TKR MUA suggested 8 weeks out -please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear kneed for speed,
I hope your new meds. Work for you :angel: please go to the hospital if you don't feel better.
A person can't go on in pain & no sleep. If the hospital will not admit you, please speak with the
Patient advocate of the hospital.
They will work with you to get you the attention you deserve.
All my best to you :console2:
Diana
 
Just posting to keep you up on the forums :) so more folks can see your problem
I don't know how to tag a moderator....could someone possibly help kneed for speed with this :ok:
Thank you,
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Tell your doctor about your ulnar nerve issues. There might be a neurological explanation as to why the pain-control regimens you've taken haven't seemed to work, and (s)he might be able to find a missing piece of the puzzle.
 
Thank you so much Josephine, I hope we can help kneed for speed :)
Diana
 
KneedForSpeed I just got back from pain management dr after getting a symptomatic nerve block injection. So far my legs hurts less, although there is some pain in the injection site which seems to be normal for a bit. It only worls for about a week but you can get more of them weekly. I will let you know if the improvement is long lasting. This could be a good option for you. I absolutely had a hard time tolerating pain meds and they didnt seem to work well.
 
1. what are your pain levels right now?
7-10
2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
ocycontin 10mg, 2x daily, norco 7.5/325 1 every 4 hours, celebrex 1x daily
3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
20 minutes on 1 hour off
4. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
above heart 4x daily
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.,
--little walking too much pain and lack of sleep
6. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?
3x week 90 minutes
 
KneedForSpeed...I am almost 24 hours since my sympathetic nerve block. Although I have very slight remaining pain in my injection area, I can say I am 75 to 80 percent pain free in both knees, with marked improvement in my previously worse left knee. I have not taken any pain meds since yesterday at 12pm, in which my ba k pain from injection prompted me to take it. I do not know how long this relief will last, but I am scheculed for another injection next monday if needed for the ne t few weeks. Call a pain management clinic in your area and make an appointment. I have a very low tolerance for pain meds and this can very well be the answer I ws looking for.
 
With the pain you're having, best to cut down PT time. 90 minutes is too much. I had 45 minutes and then icing twice a week and that's without excessive pain. With your pain situation, you might even take a knee-cation from PT to see if you can settle things down. But then again, it would be good to know what's happening during those 90 minutes KneedForSpeed. Certainly your pain medication regimen seems adequate. Have you needed to use a lot of narcotics in the past, which might've led to tolerance?
 
You have gotten lots of good advice form these great folks. I hope you find something that will work for you. FYI, the oxycontin I take twice a day (long acting) is 30 mg plus another narcotic for breakthrough pain. I think the Celebrex is for inflammation and not pain. I agree with MaryO that 90 minutes 3 times a week is too much. Maybe you should dial it back a bit. Anyway, hope you can find the relief you need.
 
stronger med are on the way ... connecting with others has been a tremendous help to me. thank you all
 
Kneed for speed,
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: you find some relief. Please keep us up-dated.....
We care :friends:
Diana :console2:
 
Update--- I am now taking 20mg oxycontin daily with hydrocodone 7.5/325 5x daily and Celebrex. i noticed swelling seems to be more of a problem especially in my feet . Could be the meds? I will keep everyone posted . This has been a very trying time and thank again everyone for the kind words.
 
Thanks for reporting back. Is this routine handling your pain OK?

And is the foot swelling despite lots of elevation?
 
pain is less than what I was experiencing and I am watching closely if I need to up the meds. The swelling remains in my feet after I have elevated them for hours. I am also using ice all day.
 
Josephine asked you about PT -- what exercises you're doing, how often and for how long. You answered her other questions but not those.

But if I were your best friend, I'd be asking you if your doctor has investigated reasons for this amount of pain, and now the swelling. Have you reported to his office this swelling?

Unless you are wired to not respond well to narcotics -- which you would know if you've used them in the past -- and with this foot swelling, two months out -- this just doesn't seem normal. You are taking much more pain med than I did even at the beginning (admittedly, I was undermedicated). Unless you are putting your knee through the PT equivalent of boot camp, I don't think this should be happening. But I've tagged Josephine who really knows this territory.
 
Dear kneed for speed,
So glad your new meds are helping with your pain :) Mary will give you lots of good advice. She's wonderful
At helping everyone. :yes:
I don't know how to tag Josephine....possibly a member who reads this could?
Thinking of you,
Diana :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom