Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR MUA suggested 8 weeks out -please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oxycontin helps me, as well as oxycodone. I do know that a few on here use tramadol with sucess but I dont think its very strong.
 
For those who don't remember me in this forum, on May 23rd I had BTKR and developed ileus which set me back 2weeks in the hospital. A severe case which slowly came around 2 weeks after I was discharged .PT was so little during this 4 week period.I was unable to take pain meds due to this condition. At 7 weeks my flexion of my right knee is 105 and 81 on my left. Doctor says he wants to talk about options and to call him in 3 weeks if my left does not improve to 100!

xrays show a perfect fit and no issues there. Please share some advice.

Thank you
Ray:thankyou:
 
Hi Ray, so sorry to hear you are having issues with flexion, and your earlier setback. I would delay on an MUA and work towards controlling your swelling, which is likely behind the problem. Make sure you ice all the way around your knees and use your compression stockings after you ice to keep swelling down. That may help to settle angry tissues which are not very happy at the moment.

The analogy is, you can't bend a hose full of water very easily, so think of your knee as that hose, it really doesn't want to give way. If you keep icing and elevating, and gentle bending, stretching you should see progress, even if it is slow. After some additional weeks, if you are still missing flexion to that degree, then perhaps MUA is in order. If you need one, it's not a bad procedure at all, and for some, the kick start needed to get moving again.

Please keep us posted. I'm sure others will be along with advice as well!

Be well,

Dawn
 
It's hard to suggest to someone what the right thing is for their recovery I've learned from my own exp. Had rtkr 2 months later mua suggested I read both sides from this site chose to listen to dr who is very good and yes it went well so of course I'm like we'll ok I did right thing. May 6 ltkr again hard time with both bending and straightening of course yes you need mua well why not, it went well so of course I caved and end of June mua. I am still suffering hardly walking pts terrible live in Boston heat is killing me I have been so unhappy with this one but it's done I would like to suggest to you maybe you should give it more time I also pay the price for my own impatience I feel like I've been in limbo since first surgery there are a lot of what ifs or should I or I have no idea involved with this surgery. I cry almost every morning and so I think we need to work on our emotions and feelings more not the need to hurry although I do understand it I blame that on my setback oh well live and learn, but I am struggling and in pain more than when I came home from surgery now Ik that may not happen to you but contrary to some people's belief you can and do have more time to work on it with nice and painless pt. Whatever your decision prayers to you and well wishes. Paula
 
[Bonesmart.org] MUA suggested 8 weeks out -please advise
Minpins, that this second MUA did not work like the first one. Knees, bless or curse them, do not heal alike. They are totally different animals with minds of their own. I can only suggest that you go back to the mantra: pain meds on a schedule, rest, elevate and ice, ice, ice! Do very slow and easy exercises and just know that it's going to take as long as it's going to take. You will get there eventually---just not as soon as you wanted to.


And of course, you're feeling blue---I'm sure you thought by this time life would be back to something close to normal with pain free knees. Try to count all your many blessings and concentrate more on how far you've come since all this started and not so much on how far you have to go. Believe in yourself and keep fighting the good fight. YOU WILL GET THERE!!!

Take care, sweetie, and keep us posted. We really do care.
[Bonesmart.org] MUA suggested 8 weeks out -please advise
 
I have some questions to ask you:
1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] MUA suggested 8 weeks out -please advise
)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
4. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
6. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?
 
1.-----7
2.------10 mg oxycontin
3.------30 minutes 4 x daily
4.------above my heart
5.----- moderate walking , home workout limited
6.----- PT 3x weekly fo r90 minutes per session. stairs ,stretch , heat, ice
 
I had BTKR done on may 23. I have taken oxycontin,tramadol ,Norco, Celebrex, and nothing is relieving pain. I have not been sleeping- about 1 hour daily. I am so spent mentally and psyc. that I afraid im going to have a heart attack. My bp is skyrocketing and I simply cannot get any relief. I even mixed melatonin with the oxy and nothing! 7 weeks of this and im breaking. I have spoken to the Doctor and he continues to try different narc meds. Nothing seems to work .

I take hot showers to try to relieve the pain also. My ulnar nerve in both hands contribute to the pain since I must used them often to get up and down. im hit from many sides and complications. The lack of sleep and constant pain is driving me to think of things I would never dream of doing. Im in a very bad place and need to find a solution quick.:boohoo:
 
Get yourself to your regular doctor. Our orthos are not actually very good at pain management for those of us who are not in in the middle of the bell curve.

For the sake of getting our best ideas on this matter, please state exactly what your med routine is. You know, there are genetic determinants of how we respond to these meds, plus some people with a long history of narcotic use have a tolerance that orthos do not factor in.

From your post I believe you are in the first stage of crisis, which is before it peaks and feels truly urgent to you. I worked EMS for years and learned that the time to act is before they become critical. So when you call your doctor, make sure they get you in now.
 
Please,please, call your dr you are definitely in bad space to say it lightly I too struggle with pain control but not as deeply as your situation and my ortho actually blows me off I feel but I take oxy 5 mg when I call for refill boy last time not good attitude and this being only 2 wks after manip. I am struggling with depression so I completely feel for what your going thru. I have been thru a lot in the past where I felt truly at my whits end to put it lightly! Yes they need to work with you on your pain control but also your what sounds like major depression! Please have your dr then recommend someone for you to talk to at the time THANK GOD I found a dr that could help me but YOU can be helped believe me I at one time thought not but YES you can. So reach out!! ASAP Keep us posted you are in my thoughts and prayers! Paula
 
I know what you mean about pain, and no sleep. I have not slept good since my BTKR on June 4th. I hope you get some help. I think you do need to go to a doctor who specializes in pain.
 
Dear kneed for speed,
I was so heartbroken when I read your plea for help :console2: I am not a medical person....
But, this is what I would do for myself......call you doctor & ask to be admitted to the hospital. I
Did this once...my doctor said he couldn't..he told me to call an ambulance & they would decide
If I needed to be admitted. If all else fails call an ambulance. I believe you may only get relief
From the hospital....I.v. Meds, spinal, blocks, plus you will be monitored.
Please don't delay....
I :angel: you get some relief,
Diana
 
Praying for you kneed for speed, please let us know how you do.... My heart goes out to you, we are here for you. Get to the doctor
 
called the doctor and im now taking 2 narcs together. I will go to the hospital over this weekend if I still have no relief .. My xrays today were fine so no issues with the fit. i will continue as long as i can. i will keep an update ..thanks everyone for caring as i really needed to reach out.
 
So sorry you are in such pain and discomfort ! I hope they can find out what it is. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
 
Xrays have very limited usefulness in teasing out TKR problems.
 
Can you get to a pain management dr? I hear you so loud and clear since I have been struggling with pain and hve changed meds also. I finally saw pain management dr yesterday. He gave me new meds but also mentioned if they do not work for me he would give me some type ofnerve blick injection each week for up to 5 wks for pain. I will let u know saturday theexact name.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom