TKR mtsumomm22's Recovery Thread

@mtsumomm22 Sounds like you are really making some very positive progress with this recovery. Well done!

I hope that recliner is helping you with your back pain.
 
A recliner may become your BFF. If I had to pick either my Lounge Doctor or my recliner, I would have a hard time making the decision.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you are feeling better also helps to know I'm not the only one having regrets I'm day 2 post op and finding it extremely hard

Hopefully that light at the end of the tunnel will show it's face :angel:
 
Just curious from the peeps a little further out than me; when did you start sleeping in the bed again comfortably? 6 weeks post op and I’m still not there, ugh!!! start back to work Monday, was just looking for some advice
 
I hit 8 weeks in a few days and I hate to say it, but I slept in my bed from the first night. I could sleep on my back the first night....but I think it's because I had trained myself during recovery from a spinal surgery just 2 months prior. I now sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs AND still elevate the surgical leg....crazy but sooooo comfortable! I immediately fall asleep :sleep: !

The insomnia issue however, (which is getting better, but was terrible for weeks) would cause me to get up, stream a Netflix movie or TV episode, have a snack and then I'd elevate and ice on the sofa where I'd fall back to sleep for about 2-3 hours.

We all are so different, I just barricaded myself with pillows, so hubby wouldn't accidentally knock into me!!
 
@mtsumomm22 , I think it was about 6-7 weeks for me before I even tried sleeping in my bed. At that stage I would get up and go back to my recliner to sleep after a couple of hours or so. I didn't start doing all my nighttime sleeping in bed until several weeks after that. Now I sleep only in bed, and not in the recliner (except for an occasional afternoon nap in the recliner). You'll get there! For some of us it just takes time.

I have had a lot of trouble sleeping all along, though, after I stopped taking opioids back in August. I think my sleep issues were worse than the surgical pain, for me. Three days ago I started taking 1000 mg of Acetaminophen an hour before bedtime and it has worked pretty well for three days. Time will tell if that is helpful for me.
 
Last edited:
Just curious from the peeps a little further out than me; when did you start sleeping in the bed again comfortably? 6 weeks post op and I’m still not there, ugh!!! Thank Goodness for the couch and recliner!! Start back to work Monday, was just looking for some advice. Doing amazing other wise! Walking with no crutches or walker, just ibuprofen and gabapentin for my nerves. Just wish I could sleep longer thank 2.5 hours at a time:shrug:
 
@mtsumomm22 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Sleep issues are all a part of this recovery I am afraid. Do you really need to go back to work so early out? We recommend at least 10-12 weeks and then a Phased Return.
 
I've been in bed since day one, but with my operated leg elevated on pillows. I also had other surgery this year that helped me get used to sleeping on my back. I miss it, but it's been most of the year I couldn't sleep on my side. I still can't. At just under 8 weeks I still need the pillows to be comfortable. Soon I hope I'll be done with them. I ditched them earlier on the other side.
 
A recliner may become your BFF. If I had to pick either my Lounge Doctor or my recliner, I would have a hard time making the decision.
Is the lounge doctor something you purchase ahead of surgery? I have a nice recliner already
 
The recliner was my lifesaver the 1st week. It was the only place I could sleep, forget about the pain.
Those first few days consisted of the worst pain I ever experienced, I literally woke up screaming in the middle of the night 2 or 3 times. Much better now. Yippee
 
HI Everyone! haven't been on in awhile, started a new position at work and it has kept me busy! I am doing great! Still get stiff at times, if I could just get up and down the steps again that would be great!

Do have a couple of questions for you all though.
1. I was trying to go down the steps normally yesterday and I missed a step with my good knee which cause my TKR to bend complete back, like my foot almost touch my bottom (I screamed, LOUD :hairpulling:). It is sore today but I can walk fine. Throbs here and there, has anyone done anything like this? IF so did you hurt anything? Should I be worried?

2. Foot Swelling....I am 4 months post op and now out of nowhere my foot is swelling a lot? Any clues? Also how do you deal with it?

Thanks
Kelly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to seeing better educated answers about the incident on the stairs, but I’ll share that my PT and Orthopedic people say that we can’t really do anything to damage our hardware. You might have some soft tissue aggravation, though.

This happened to me after one of my early surgeries while I couldn’t yet get full bend. I was celebrating finishing written exams with my friends, and I laughed so hard I had to kneel down or pull a muscle in my gut. My knee hurt like a son of a gun at the time, but nothing lasting. That was 30 years ago and a much less invasive surgery, but maybe the experience is still valid.

I hope your knee is okay.
 
@mtsumomm22 thanks for checking in! Sounds like your little "accident" did cause a bit of angry soft tissues. Ice and elevate. This may take a bit of time to calm down.

Four months out in a recover that can take 12 months or more is still early days. If you are back to work and active you are bound to have swelling. Ice is your friend!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom