TKR MSuki’s Fabulous Recovery Journey

Ouch!!!! Welcome home!!
 
Welcome home!
I hope you start to feel better now that you are home and in charge of your environment!
 
I did pretty much NOTHING today except paid some bills and played my game. Stopping occasionally for ice. My shin still hurts but it’s down to a 4-5 today. Various muscles were so sore I didn’t feel up to even stretching. Somewhat worthless day as to being productive but I had fun.

Then when my husband got home I ordered Chinese food delivered to the house. Tomorrow I’ll get some groceries and do better.
 
Sounds like the right way to have spent the day!
 
What a nightmare your trip at the airport was. Thank God it wasn't worse! Now is the time to rest for as long as you need to. Your knee went through something awful and might need a week or so to recover. Don't worry though, it will be OK!
 
Thanks everyone for the good wishes and support. @sistersinhim thanks for reminding me it may take a bit to recover. Last night I was getting a little scared I had really injured something because I am still having some pain (and my first knee went out while walking a long distance with a heavy backpack - heavier than the one from this trip, it had 2 laptops in it and meeting materials).

I have had a bit of a return of the ankle and foot pain I had initially but not nearly as severe, some pain just above my knee, a little pain on outside of knee, some pain in the muscle on the outside of shin, but the worst is on the muscle that is sort of the inside of my shin (parallel to shin but toward inside of lower leg.)

I think it might be the gastrocnemius which may have been unhappy the whole time but is more unhappy now. Any suggestions other than ice and time?
 
I think it might be the gastrocnemius which may have been unhappy the whole time but is more unhappy now. Any suggestions other than ice and time?
First of all...someone needs to rename that muscle - haha! Who came up with that?? I'm sorry that's coming back to bother you, and your knee giving out is never fun. I have no suggestions to help that muscle but I hope you will find something. When I was traveling to see my son (pre-surgery), I'd get back and after all the extra activity I would just be wiped out for several days - and everything would be sore it seemed. Not just my knees but my arms, shoulders, back - just using all those muscles more than usual. I'd try to plan to get home a day or two before going back to the office. I'd be able to go back to work but I sure was miserable.
 
It may be just gastrocnemius or gastroc plus soleus...
If either muscle has sustained micro tears, it may take weeks to fully heal. That doesn't mean don't use it at all! It means periods of rest, ice, elevation along with lighter than usual activity, and a little very very gentle stretching not as far or prolonged as you'd usually do
https://cdn.britannica.com/03/100103-050-B01244AC/view-leg-hip-muscles-thigh.jpg
 
Thanks @selketine it’s funny how hearing someone else say how we feel can be so comforting. It may not make the issue go away but it makes it seem normal and therefore less worrisome.

@mendogal similarly I was thinking how funny it is the reaction I had when you said I might have micro tears (I know I had that in my calf a couple of time pre surgery due to really excessive walking with something heavy, one time my calf was so swollen they sent me over to check for a blood clot and then fell back to mildly torn muscle). You would think I would have an “oh no” reaction but instead I felt relief because that would explain how it feels and also is something that will heal up with a little pampering and ice. I don’t feel like I have an injury that needs a doctor visit but it’s also worse than a little sore from exercise. So it’s likely either the micro tears, tendonitis, or a combination. Either way I think the treatment is ice, elevation, and don’t do anything stupid!
 
A full week later and I am still having more pain than before my trip. The shin splint feeling is better but I have had pain in my foot and ankle like I did initially but much less severe. I had a massage yesterday and told the massage therapist to avoid my shin completely (he did) but that my ankle and foot were sore and maybe we could work on that a little. When he got to my ankle he started to massage a spot with not very much pressure but my foot just went into a spasm. I think the spot was sort of between 2 bones toward the inside at the top of foot almost to ankle. He said a lot of tendons attach there, and decided to put a hot towel on it instead of massaging it. The pain also went up my leg a little and it kept hurting for a while. I had no idea this was even this much of a problem.

I also still have the area, primarily just below knee toward inside of leg that is extremely sore. If I push on it, it feels as sore as pushing on an infected cut would. This goes a way down my leg inside of shin bone and is the same spot that the doctor said could be tendinitis or could be the internal incision being slow to heal.

It doesn’t hurt more when I walk but twinges on the stairs - still going up with the good but down foot over foot.

I’m also having a little more achiness and some twinges on the lower outside of knee. So all in all my knee has not been very happy this week.

Another contributing factor could be that I’m working this week. At home, but sitting at a desk. I’m trying to be good about getting up frequently but don’t always make it. Probably not icing as frequently but it’s hard to get my time in if I keep stopping. Plus I work upstairs and ice machine is downstairs.

Still a little down after the visit with my mom. Four 8 hour days sitting with her is a little depressing. And the first time I talked to her after I got home, she didn’t remember I had been there. The second time a few days later she did remember me being there and was worried because she thought I didn’t call her to leg her know I got home safely. Then by the end of the conversation she forgot that I went home and thought I was still in Vermont visiting her.

Not really sure whether I need to stretch more or less with this. I have not been doing a lot of exercises this week under the assumption that whatever this is needs to heal, but have done some calf and hamstring stretching as these stay really tight.
 
Oh boy @MSuki , I am so sorry you are having a rough week. You had a very emotional visit with your mom and talking with her on the phone is equally hard. I can’t imagine what you are going through.

I have the same uncertainty about stretching more or not. I still have a very tight band feeling around my knee and I wonder is stretching more will ease it or not? I also question if I should let my soft tissues , or whatever that is happening inside my knee, heal on its own. I just keep using the comfrey salve to see if that helps. I do notice that I am not in pain, per say, but more uncomfortable. I have pain when I try to bend my knee more then it wants to!:hairpulling:

I hope that you find relief soon.
 
I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain - that really doesn't sound good. I don't know why there would be spots that are as sore as pushing on an infected cut - which sounds very sore. I hope this is some combo of recovering from your trip as well as working from home. I know I have a few new pains and tightness that seemed to come out of nowhere - so I'm hoping this is just all part of the healing process.

Your situation with your mom sounds very stressful. My MIL had memory issues and I know how challenging that was for my husband. Towards the end of her life, she lived closer to my sister-in-law so we didn't see her as often but she would get very upset over a myriad of things. My thoughts are certainly with you - it's hard on the whole family and sad as well.

I agree with taking it easy - keeping the stretches but not getting into the exercises.
 
Thanks @Nay Nay and @selketine. I think I am improving a little but very very slow and small increments. I’m trying not to irritate things any further. I definitely have some sort of soft tissue injury. So odd that in addition to the tendinitis or whatever it is with the knee I now have some of the ankle and foot issues I had initially, although much less severe. And I think between that and my mom I have been feeling discouraged. But, I am naturally an optimist so I know I’ll have an improved outlook soon!
 
It's so hard to deal with other, very complicated issues when you don't feel well, and your worries about your mom would be very stressful even if you didn't have painful knee to deal with! Adding those two problems together is like more than the sum of its parts; I have no advice, just loads of empathy for what you're going through. Take it easy and be kind to yourself and keep your expectations low for a little while.
 
So sorry to hear your recent troubles. Your trip was really tough for a new knee. I also know how emotionally hard visiting a family member with severe memory problems can be. We had a recent visit to my brother in law, who has Alzheimer's and we hadn't seen for several months. It affected both my husband and me and we felt really sad. I managed the flights and stay away this time, much better than my last visit. I didn't even bother with a foldable stick at the airport- so it made me realise how far I have come.
You will get there. It is a tough recovery-especially if you have other tough things going on and soft tissue issues. It is so hard to get the balance between sensible rehab and adequate rest when you are out of the very early stages.Hang in there!
 
I think TKR's should come with a 2 week spa stay to be taken at the patient's discretion between months 2-8. Shaded pool cabanas, hot tubs, massages, meals and no physical therapists allowed. Getting the knee working again is just half the battle - the rest of the body decides to act up!
 
Four months. Still time for TLC for your baby knee... and for yourself.

Worth a podiatry consult?
 
Still a little down after the visit with my mom. Four 8 hour days sitting with her is a little depressing. And the first time I talked to her after I got home, she didn’t remember I had been there. The second time a few days later she did remember me being there and was worried because she thought I didn’t call her to leg her know I got home safely. Then by the end of the conversation she forgot that I went home and thought I was still in Vermont visiting her.
I completely understand what you are going through. I was my mom's POA for the 5 years she had dementia before she succumbed to it. You are in the early stage of recovery from a very traumatic surgery. Adding to that, you're having the emotional stress of your ill mother, and that's a double whammy to your poor body. Stress increases tension. Tension causes your muscles to tighten up. This is adding to your pain. I suggest you find some relaxation videos and try and shut out every thing else but watching that video. Easier said than done, I know, but worth a try.
 
@mendogal I think I’ll give the foot some time but will keep the podiatrist idea in mind. I would have to find one. I’m having a cataract fixed 3/19 hopefully. Had the other one done several years ago because it had a different kind of cataract that wasn’t the age related type. Also working at the moment and still feeling overwhelmed with what I already have going on.

@sistersinhim thank you. I think I’m more stressed than I let myself realize. I re-read the notes above and then when I read your note I started tearing up. It’s not really my knee, it’s the combination of everything right now.

I only worked 3 hours today - there isn’t a too near deadline for what I’m doing and I just turn in the hours I worked. Wish I wasn’t doing this job but I committed to it and they are paying me well. I should be able to finish this before the cataract surgery. After that I need to do my Mom’s taxes and my taxes and then I should get a break for a bit.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom