TKR MSuki’s Fabulous Recovery Journey

@Nay Nay glad to be doing this journey with you. I have pretty well goofed off the past week and done no exercises other than the bike and walking. Will try to do better next week. With no PT, my only issue has been sitting at my desk yoo long which for some reason, in addition to making me stiff, causes a pain on my shin.

Oh and I did figure out something, I have had occasional foot and toe cramps. Finally realized that I only had them after doing a couple of rounds of ice in bed. I would then be trying to move the blanket with my foot and toes and/or top of foot would cramp. I have stopped taking my ice machine to bed with me and so dar no more foot cramps. Will have to see if it holds up.
 
I find it hard to sit in a chair very long (table, desk, etc.). I need to try it more but seems like there's always a cat in my chair! We have a counter height kitchen table and you'd think the chairs for that would be perfect but they hit the back of my leg in a bad spot and are super uncomfortable post-surgery.

The ice machine also gives me leg cramps down around my ankles. I know I'm more sensitive to it than most people (ice). I think if it's warm outside and my feet are nice and warm - I have less issues overall including the cramping (I bought my active ice machine last summer and used it pre-surgery a lot until it got cold outside!). There's these microwave slippers you can get - wonder if you tried those it would help - presuming cold feet could be your issue.

You're traveling soon I think or did that happen already?
 
My trip is 2/14 through 2/21. Even though I’m doing OK it’s a little scary to think about leaving my ice machine (and my husband) for a week. Hopefully my knee will do well. I think I might look up the microwave slippers. I have thick fuzzy socks but often my foot is still cold after putting ice on. The pad I have is large so it also is around my calf which makes my whole lower leg cold.
 
Hi @MSuki .
Well, I had my 12 week check up with my surgeon today. He said my knee is great and my x-rays were good. He said that my knee is secure, with no movement. So he was happy with that. However, he measured my extension and I was not at zero. (He didn't say what it was, but not zero.) Then he went to measure my flex. As I was sitting on the table trying to bring my knee in, he measured at 115!! (WHAT!!!) Then he grabbed my leg and pushed it towards my butt! Boy did I see stars. I actually pulled back on the table and yelled. When I then fixed my leg to be remeasured, he said it was 120. I don't understand that. My therapist just a few days ago measured me at 130. Anyway, I was really upset. He said I was doing well, and that 120 is fine for now. He still wants me to be at least 130 by the next time I see him. (In 3 months) He told me that he is happy when he has patients reach 120, but he said since I am active, healthy and young, he thinks I would not be happy at 120. He gave me additional stretching exercises. I am pretty bummed that I am not farther along.

My knee actually felt pretty good today before the doctor's appointment. Now it hurts! I am currently doing TENS to see if it will help. I also slept pretty well last night for the first time. I am hoping that this continues for me.

I wish you the best of luck flying to see your mom. I am going to wait until around May to attempt a flight to Florida.
 
@Dmcfad2 Thanks! I’m trying to decide whether I want to take a gel pack in my luggage or just rely on ice bags. I’ll be st my brother’s house for 2 night then at a hotel. I don’t know if there would be room in the hotel freezer for a gel pack and I sort of want to pack light.

@Nay Nay that’s crazy. Don’t let him do that again! My doctor and PT have both bent my leg to see how it’s doing and it never hurt even a little. My PT said it was pretty easy to tell when the resistance starts and not go past that point. On the bend, I’m not sure those measurements are super precise. My PT told me it was better to have the same person do it to see the progress because they will hopefully do it the same way each time. And you may not have been warmed up like you would be at PT.

It amazes me how many people have stories of someone grabbing their leg and forcing it to bend further than it’s ready to go. Why would anyone ever think that’s OK?
 
My doctor and PT have both bent my leg to see how it’s doing and it never hurt even a little.
That should also be a :bignono:. No touching allowed. Anyway, what you can do by yourself is what counts.
 
@sistersinhim I think you are assuming I’m talking about measurement and someone pushing my leg to get it to bend further. Not the case. In both cases I am talking about the PT and the doctor were checking my leg to try to determine why I was having pain in a particular area. (because I was asking what it might be.). They also did the thing where they have you push and pull against their hand to see if that was painful. I have never had the doctor try to push my leg to get it to bend farther than I could bend it on my own but he has touched my leg when giving me an exam.
 
So you've got a week to go before travel! I went down to Disney in Orlando to see my son who is working there several times since last July and I found the best thing for the hotels are those old school ice bags with the screw top that spread out to a circle. I have a few of those and they pack light. (I know Disney sounds like the last place someone who could barely walk might go but they are so wheelchair friendly I could take the ECV/scooter into every line and right up to any rides and sit in it for shows - I could go door to door with not much walking). My son's internship there is up in May and he may stay on or may come back. I'm hoping to go down one more time in late April to visit just in case!

If you type "microwaveable slippers" into the search at Amazon you'll get lots of options including booties that go up the ankle. Those things are like pure heaven if your feet are cold and won't get warm! I have Raynaud's and I try to keep my feet and hands warm.
 
I did misunderstand. Thank you for straightening me out. When I had my first knee surgery, my doctor did force my knee into a bend and I passed out! I guess that's why I'm so tuned in to that. Thank God your doctor or PT don't do that!
 
@sistersinhim Not sure why but my surgeon has never tried to measure, he leaves that to the PT. He likes to see that my leg moves and that I’m walking ok, he does xrays every visit, and then he tells me how great I’m doing. He’s very encouraging. I really like my surgeon. As I said before, it is shocking to me how many people have had an experience with a doctor or PT where they really hurt them. It seems so clear to me that pushing too hard causes only pain and setbacks, even though my only experience is doing it to myself by accident. Pushing my own knee a little too hard is bad enough but nothing compared to what happened to you and some others.

@selketine I ordered some of those slippers. Then I also decided to order a pair for my husband, his birthday is coming up. I’m sure I’ll have to microwave his for him. Also I think I need to clean the microwave……
 
Your doctor sounds wonderful! The surgeon that did my TKR was like yours, he never asked about any PT or measured me. He just wanted to see my function. The thing he commented about was my extension coming in slowly, but to not worry about it because he knew that I was single and had to take care of everything myself, and my extension would come back in its own dear, sweet time!
 
I hope you like the slippers! I couldn't find the ones I ordered in my amazon order history but I think they're all basically the same idea. That's a great gift for your husband as well!
 
Knee is feeling good this morning. Yesterday I woke up with it hurting and very achy for some reason and I can only think I did something in my sleep. I felt like I was having a setback to a prior time. Although I had tried the step again a few days ago and have had some additional pain since then. I did all my stretches and floor exercises yesterday and worked a little around the house and a little at my desk in the morning. I am oh so slowly trying to catch up with paper and email that piled up during recovery. Also I have had a little bit of work come in. Nothing big now, just limited hours here and there on tying up outstanding issues, reviewing documentation recently received in response to audit claims, but will be doing a couple of week job after I get back from my trip.

Anyway, so I did well in the am on getting up frequently but around 1:30 I called it a day and started playing a computer game. I think I got up and stretched at 30 minutes intervals twice then forgot about everything but the game for 2 1/2 hours until my husband got home. Needless to say I was very stiff and my knee seemed irritated.

A bit later after dinner I was sitting in the easy chair with ice and my leg somewhat elevated, and I started getting the strong pains I’ve had several times lately (they are strong enough that for a few minutes I tend to get scared something bad has happened.). So this time I had the prickly crawly sensation (like a bug walking across but inside, and with a buzzy feeling), followed by this sort of rhythmic pain like throbbing but sharper in my knee. Usually it does it multiple times but less than 10. Then I had a strong pain (maybe a few seconds) in my upper leg, then another on my shin. I think it must be nerve pain since it jumps around and then goes away, but I didn’t have anything like this on my first knee. These pains were at a 6.5 or 7 but just for seconds at a time.

I have noticed though that on this knee I don’t have much of a numb spot at this point. It’s less than my 2 year old knee. On knee #1 I had a big numb spot that has gradually decreased over time, and my zingers were more like strong static electricity shocks. On new knee at this point I have only a very small patch on the front right just below my knee, and the knee itself isn’t numb. Quite a few times I’ve had this crawly feeling like prickles which is then followed by the shooting pains. My assumption is that anything serious would hurt all the time, not sporadically like this.
 
That's interesting about the numbness on one knee but not this knee. I'll be interested to see if others think the nerves are better connected so maybe why this knee is feeling those pains? I have a big numb spot on the outer right side of my knee and I don't think I've had any "zingers" yet (unless those are random sharp quick pains - had that a couple of times). I'd also think anything serious would not come and go.

I'm glad it's feeling good today!
 
Definitely sounds like zingers, @MSuki. I'm noticing mine numbness and nerve pain are quite different on this knee, too.

A reminder that every knee is different -- even two knees in the same person!:wink:
 
@selketine I have to think that the nerves on this side are recovering way faster or somehow had less trauma, but recovering faster seems more likely.

I did almost nothing useful today other than meal prep and washing dishes. I rested, played my game, read my book. I have less than a week before my trip so I guess I will need to start thinking about what I need to do to get ready. I’m leaving on Valentines Day so I need to do something about that. I’m really having trouble getting motivated this week, feel ok but just have low energy. Maybe soon…..
 
Sometimes you just need to get that extra rest. It's no big deal, and you and your knee have earned it!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Righty!
Have a wonderful weekend!
@MSuki
 
Thanks @sistersinhim. My husband said pretty much the same. I feel like there is so much I have let go around the house not to mention on my desk and there is really no reason I can’t work on it except that I have limited energy I want to spend working. Then I just want to put ice on my knee and read my book, or play on the computer.

@Layla it’s hard to believe it’s 3 months.

Recent milestones:
  • I moved all my stuff back to my own side of the bed and gave up ice in bed - there isn’t room on my side for the machine. My husband still insists on putting ice in it near bedtime so it will be there if I need it. It stays in the living room by the easy chair.
  • I have taken 4 baths and can get out with no help or grab bars etc. Not graceful but not too much of an ordeal either.
  • I can easily get on the floor and back up without furniture.
  • It doesn’t bother me as much to stand up and prep a meal. If something takes really long I have a tall stool in the kitchen.
  • I’m not walking as far at a time as some but I’m walking further than I was, and I’ve noticed last 2 weeks I’m walking faster.
  • Since I quit PT, I am generally not having pain in my knee above about a 3-4, and that’s mostly for a very short time after sitting at desk too long, or if I go up and down stairs too many times. (still can’t go up foot over foot). Not counting zingers which go higher but go away quickly. Yesterday I slept funny on the knee and it was hurting a bit when I woke up, but today it has 0 pain now and will likely be at a 1-2 after I do my exercise bike. It hasn’t been at this low of a pain level in years!
  • I still have tight calves, hamstrings, and hip flexors.
  • I am working on reminding myself not to put a hand on the chair when I stand up, I want to do it with my legs and glutes.
I’m thinking I may try to get on my bike after I get back from my trip.

—Larea
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom