Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Ms Blue's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went thru something similar the day I moved to rehab. They didn't have an order for pain meds when I arrived at dinner time. Then I had some crazy attendant crying and telling me I couldn't leave, it was beyond bizarre. Called the administrator, the next day I had everything I needed including a visit from the 3 people in administration. Medicine in the USA is so busy keeping everyone from becoming addicts that they've forgotten their job is to was pain and cure people. The constant need over a 3mos period to plead with docs/pharmacist and insurance company to get pain meds was added stress none of us needs. Keep bringing down the hammer to get what you need.
 
Setting your alarm is a good way to do the "as needed." It's like at the hospital they told me what time I could take the next dose and to ring when I was ready. They actually wrote the time on the white board for me. I sometimes was watching the clock a bit and would ring about 5-10 minutes ahead to allow for any delay in getting to me if they were particularly busy.
 
I started PT yesterday and did really well. And there was none of the therapists "jerking" or pulling or pushing to get extension or R-O-M. It was a rigorous workout and I was truly afraid that I would be too sore to move this morning. But it wasn't the case - I noticed a little more soreness when standing up, but nothing like what I had feared. The therapist noted the relative weakness on my right (which was always my "bad knee"). She feels extension will be tougher for me to recover than flexion.

Today I had a lot of pain in the semitendinosus insertion of my right hamstring (back inside of knee). It was really stiff, but they noted that in PT and massaged it out for me a bit. The therapist says I just have a knot back there. So they took it somewhat easy on me in therapy - at least with respect to exercises that required a lot of right extension. And it does seem somewhat better now.

The facility administrator came by yesterday and let me know that insurance only approved 6 days stay here (that will be Friday). I had planned/hoped to stay for two weeks. I called the insurance and they told me that they re-evaluate weekly, so this facility can send in a progress report on me with recommendation, and they will decide whether to extend. However, I know I am doing way too well to get to stay here. The facility has (not surprisingly) a number of elderly and infirm patients. However, even most of the "younger" patients are in their 60's to 70's (several years older than me) and don't seem to be doing as well as I am. There are no other bilaterals here at this time, so I don' t have a cleaner basis for comparison, but I seem to be doing exceptionally well (that was the reaction in the hospital too).

So I am starting to figure out what happens when I go home. In particular, I am looking for the right PT program. One of the local hospitals is supposed to have a highly regarded outpatient program, so I am looking into that.

All from here - after 3 hours of therapy today, it's time for ice and a nap.
 
A week ago right now, my husband and I were leaving to drive to the hospital for my surgery. I can very honestly say that I am glad to be here, where I am with functioning, pain, etc, today than back there a week ago. It's been an interesting week, and a long one. I think it's been so long because so much of the week has been focused on ME. It's been me, me, me, all the time. A week of "me" is a lot.

Everyone says, "you'll get through it," and, as frustrating as that is to hear pre-surgery, it's absolutely true. We are each going to get through it - some of it will be very tough, and some of it easier than we expected - but each of us will be on his or her own journey. All recoveries are different. Having said that, there is a lot of common good sense for all of our recoveries to be found, and BoneSmart.org has been helpful. Most of all, I think it helps to know that others are going through what you are going through at the same time as you are.
 
You are so right @MsBlue! This site offers so much support...it was so helpful to me both before and after my TKR's. I'm glad you are finding it helpful as well. Don't you worry about getting to much "me" time! We normally never give ourselves much of that, so take advantage of it rather than fight it! Before you know it, you be back to concentrating of everyone other than yourself!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
My knees are stiff, and they are tight. Every time I have to do PT (2 sessions daily), I think I won't be able to do it, but I manage it better than I expected, and my "performance" is improving. The warm up is 30 heel pumps, 30 seated leg lifts and "marching" in my chair. Then, I do three sets each of 10 on each leg lying down exercises including heel slides, leg raises (with legs over a bolster), quad sets (pressing down), glute sets (contracting and holding glutes), leg raises (lying on back raising one leg at a time), and side leg raises. In the afternoon, I do standing exercises including front and back leg raises, side leg lifts, knee raises (like "marching" again), heel raises (lifting foot up and back toward buttocks), knee flexes (relax one knee at a time and contract quad and hold), and toe raises (standing on toes and holding). This is interspersed with bouts of walking with the walker, 2 canes, and a single cane. Since I am going home tomorrow, they had me practice walking with one cane and a laundry basket and one cane and a "gallon of milk" (9 lb. weight).

There is also some sort of a bike thing that counts steps - 750 per day.

It is tiring, no doubt. My knees feel tight, but not impossible. I felt like I was getting worse on the heel slides, but my stamina has improved and my range is improving every day. The PT is a lot of work, but that's what I am here to do. I do about an hour in the morning, then about 30 minutes of OT. This afternoon's PT session was almost 90 minutes - but a lot of that was walking.

I do feel like the incision is pulling, but the therapist says that it's actually my quad activating and working (since that's the muscle that was most affected around the incision site).

Another patient who had her two knees done separately said that the pain will be different on different days - both the amount and location. And then one day, it just stops hurting.

We were trying a "bridge" over a bolster, but that was too intense, so we have knocked that out of the rotation for now. I felt those mostly in the incision and in the backs of my knees - which I understand is the hamstring insertion(s). I hope to be able to work up to those, but they are not in the cards for now.

I go home tomorrow, so I will continue doing most of this program on my own until I get into outpatient PT next week. I am still taking the pain meds around the clock, by the clock, and icing before and after every PT session.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and ... the BANE of my existence? Compression hose. My doctor requires that I wear them all the time for 4 weeks post-surgery. (20 days to go) I just took them off for 20 minutes and washed my legs. Feels better. I tried the thigh high, which provided a nice coverage over the incision where I could stick a soft pad to cushion it. However, I was getting bruises all around my thighs where the elastic was, so I have gone back to knee high. Absolutely hate wearing these though.

One of the nurses showed a great trick to getting these on - put a plastic bag (even the bag the hose come in) over the toes and lower foot, and the stocking will just slide on. Then you can pull the bag out through the toe opening. Works like a charm.
 
Hi MsBlue! My sister was a Godsend too. She stayed with me for 2 weeks and took very good care of me.

I am so sorry you have not been getting good nursing care. Meds are SO important post-op. I was in a Magnet Hospital and had excellent nursing care. If this continues to happen, I would put a call into the head nurse or administration. That is not acceptable to keep a TKR post-op patient waiting for meds!!
 
I am so sorry you have not been getting good nursing care. Meds are SO important post-op. I was in a Magnet Hospital and had excellent nursing care. If this continues to happen, I would put a call into the head nurse or administration. That is not acceptable to keep a TKR post-op patient waiting for meds!!

It was a single instance here at the rehab hospital. I pitched a fit (including talking to the Admissions Director who just happened to walk into my room at the right moment), and have never had another issue. I keep my alarm set, but they usually knock on my door right as the alarm is going off. Additionally, that was a weekend nurse covering (or subbing) a single shift. The weekday staff has been great, and everything has been running like clockwork. (quite literally!!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The warm up is 30 heel pumps, 30 seated leg lifts and "marching" in my chair. Then, I do three sets each of 10 on each leg lying down exercises including heel slides, leg raises (with legs over a bolster), quad sets (pressing down), glute sets (contracting and holding glutes), leg raises (lying on back raising one leg at a time), and side leg raises. In the afternoon, I do standing exercises including front and back leg raises, side leg lifts, knee raises (like "marching" again), heel raises (lifting foot up and back toward buttocks), knee flexes (relax one knee at a time and contract quad and hold), and toe raises (standing on toes and holding).
These are all training exercises, as far as I can see, bar the heel slides.

Your knees are injured, not unfit. At this stage you don't really need to do any training, you just need to do gentle stretching to retain mobility. Doing exercises that puts force through your injured knees won't help those knees and can cause pain and swelling.
My knees are stiff, and they are tight.
I suspect that the exercise programme is causing this.

Relax, take it easy, look at the BoneSmart mantras (posted above).
 
So ... kicked out of rehab for doing too well. It could be worse! In fact, I understand that the insurance company fought giving my anytime at the rehab center due to my (relative) youth. I was lucky to get the six days I got. It did seem like I was 15 to 20 years younger than almost everyone else there, but no one else had BTKR. There were several single TKR people, some hip replacements, and then a variety of other medical issues. Watching how some folks struggled made me glad I am doing this so young and also made me commit to maintaining my own fitness from here on out. I've been a yoga person for years and the breathing and core strength from my practice seem to have made a lot of difference in how I was able to easily adapt and move through the exercises.

Funny story - when I was in recovery, I woke up with that nose thing for oxygen, and it was bugging the **** out of me. I asked the nurse if I really had to have it, and she said that I was doing so well with it that we would leave it alone for a while yet - "see, your saturation is already at 100%." Then I pointed out to her that the tube from the nasal cannula had never been attached to the oxygen tank. It was just buried under the bed covers. I was satting at 100% on my own! At least I got to take that nose thing off.

I came home yesterday afternoon, and the one thing I have been warned against by the rehab therapists is trying to do too much. I'm not sure that is going to be an issue, but I keep it running in the back of my head. I went out this morning when my husband walked the dogs at 5:30 and walked up and down the block with the walker. The walker is not great, because of the cracks in the sidewalk, so I may try two canes after this. They had me practice walker, two canes, and one cane at rehab. I was cleared for one cane in the house - let's face it, no room for the walker, and there is always something to grab (a chair, a counter) if needed in the house.

I slept pretty well last night. I was up and down a bit, but I routinely did not sleep between about 12 and 4 AM while at rehab. Last night, I managed to sleep from 10 to 12 and 12 to about 3:30, then again from 4 to 5:30, so that's pretty good for me! My legs felt comfortable, and I didn't do my usual thrashing around looking for a comfortable position.

I skipped my afternoon standing exercises from PT yesterday. I plan to do the lying-down ones this morning (shortly), and then get to the standing ones later today. I know even a few days of doing these have allowed me to build stamina and strength.

That's really all - getting home has been good so far.
 
Welcome home! My sidewalks are like yours. It seems a hazard to walk down them, having to constantly watch for the bumps and separations. I guess that is a good training, though. Sounds like you are doing great!
 
I'm so happy to hear how well you're doing. It's better to be kicked out of rehab because you're doing too well to stay than having your stay extended because you aren't.

I had so much trouble finding a comfortable position for my leg at night. I can't imagine trying to sleep when both legs are painful and sore. You're a real trooper.

Reading your post reminded me that I should get up and do my exercises!
 
Welcome Home!!! I found it so comforting to be in my own house. It was one of those Aaaaah moments!!!! You will continue to need me weeks for quite awhile. I found that very difficult to get used to since I am a nurse and by nature, always the one caring for others and putting myself last. But, your knee will be the one in charge for awhile as well as your body. The best advice I can give you is to listen to it! When you are tired, sleep. Sleep is a wonderful healer. Take your meds on time and the mantra regarding resting, elevating and icing is sooooo true! I hope your recovery continues to go as well. Bilateral TKR are my heroes! I can't fathom having two done at once!!
 
Love the oxygen cannula story! Welcome home.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I didn't sleep as well last night, so I stayed in bed until 9 while my husband took the dogs to the beach (Lake Michigan). I got up and dressed and did a few small things, iced for a while, then he came home and we went to Walgreen's. We were in there for 10 to 15 minutes, and it absolutely did me in. We went over to Home Depot and used the wheelchair they have for customers. We were in there maybe 10 minutes. When we got to the grocery (where they have those scooter carts), I just sat in the car instead of going in. But even sitting in the car is not easy, because you have to bend your knees to sit there. Needless to say, after about 40 minutes out in the world, I got home and collapsed on the couch. It's me and the ice for the rest of the afternoon. Dogs are tired from the beach, husband is napping in front of the baseball game, and it's a pretty restful house for now.
 
Wow, that is a lot to have done! Don't think my stamina is there yet. You go, girl!
 
Hi Ms. Blue,

I just wanted to let you know that what you experienced with the exhaustion is completely normal. Going out for very short periods of time, did me in and I didn't venture out at all for about 4 weeks and that was to my post-op apt. When I tried to go out even for lunch after that, I was exhausted. My knee would hurt from being in a dependent position for more than 10-15 minutes and I had to prop it up on another chair or on the booth across from me or I could not have even gone out to eat. It's only in the last 2 weeks or so that I am able to keep my foot down when sitting for any length of time. I know it's so hard to feel like that, but it will get better. Enjoy your quiet time right now, you need it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom