Guest viewing is limited

mlsread January 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated the heel slides and only did them when the PT in the hospital had me. I have done none, except ankle pumps, since. I just walk. (I know that is harder in colder country). I think for just five days out you are doing well. I didn't even think about more walking until I was at the one week mark.
As far as the cane goes you will use it in your left hand, as your right is the one with the new hip, and you want the handle even with your wrist. At least that is the directions that came with mine. :wink:

I was told I could take the Tylenol and Oxy together and I did that one time. However, they also said it makes the Oxy "work" better. I didn't like the way I felt when I took them together. So I have been alternating them. Hopefully, someone with more experience can come along and help you more with that question. :)
 
Frustrating. I don't like to use this forum in my phone. I am feeling sorry for myself today. Feels like I am in jail. This too shall pass.
The foot of my surgical leg is cold and I dont know why that would be. I am tired of sleeping but cutting back on the Oxy turned out to be a bad idea.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@mlsread, you've been doing so well and posting such upbeat messages, that you surprised me by saying you're feeling sorry for yourself today. I wish I could give you a hug and tell you it'll all be better tomorrow. Eventually though, it will. Hang in there and take some more meds and get warmer socks for your cold feet. Got a cat or dog who can sit on your cold foot and warm it up? :)
 
Oh no! Im so sorry @mlsread. I have read on here you will know when you can cut back on meds as you start to forget doses. I wouldn't worry about cutting back yet. I understand on the sleeping though as that is what they made me do.
I feel stuck in the house too. I have left to go to my post op appt and then in the last few days I rode to the store with my husband and he ran in for something. I feel like I have not gotten out in a month! LOL And the difference is I can walk outside. You have it way worse as you cant even go walk due to the cold weather. Try to keep in mind that this is a short term thing. And that all this is so you CAN do what you want to do later. :console2:
 
Thanks @chatterz and @Tweetybrd Of course today is a better day and I know I can start my day over any time I decide to. I am looking forward to taking the bandage off tomorrow, doing a bit of meal prep, getting a shower and walking around the house for 10 minutes. I'm tired already, HAHA.
 
@mlsread recovery is a bit of a roller coaster ride. Just hang on tight!
[Bonesmart.org] mlsread January 2017
 
What a difference a few days make. Today I am one week postop! I have discarded the walker and I'm now using a cane. Today I showered by myself, fix ed myself something to eat and didn't need a nap till later in the afternoon. I am not needing the OxyContin so much and I'm switching to Tylenol..:dancy: oh yeah .... I removed my dressing and the incision looks very good. Longer than what I thought it would be but if that's the worst thing that comes out of this that's fine with me
 
Frustrating. I don't like to use this forum in my phone. I am feeling sorry for myself today. Feels like I am in jail. This too shall pass.
The foot of my surgical leg is cold and I dont know why that would be. I am tired of sleeping but cutting back on the Oxy turned out to be a bad idea.


Sent from my iPhone

@misread, my day 6 post op was a tough one. Today, day 7, I got in bed and fell asleep for an hour. Felt good. Pain is constant during the days. Ice and elevation all the time. Staying on my pain med schedule is a must.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@opie bummer!!!! Hope things turn around for you soon.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad your home recovering. I had my hip replaced 1/24/17. It's good to be on this side of things! [emoji1]


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@mlsread Very early to be cutting down on pain meds. When you start forgetting doses you know it's time to wean off. For now I would recommend staying ahead of the pain.
 
Glad to hear you had a better day! Look at you getting all independent again! I think that is what bothered me the most about all this, being dependent on others with the everyday stuff. :unsure:

Also, really nice to "see" you! Love the pic!

@opie Same for you! Love your new pic too!
 
@Jaycey I'm not sure what to think about the pain meds. I am not in a lot of pain at this point. Perhaps because I'm not doing that much?


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@mlsread As Jaycey says, it's important to stay ahead of the pain--but not everyone has a lot of pain. How wonderful if that's your experience. I, too, didn't have much pain--I used Dilaudid when I was in the hospital, but even in the hospital, I kept forgetting to ring for the next dose because pain was minimal. I stopped all narcotics when I left the hospital. I'm not a stoic and I don't have a high pain threshold--I just had minimal pain. 0 at rest--when I was briefly in a rehab place right after the hospital and having PT 2x a day, my pain sometimes ramped up to a 3 or 4, and was similar to the pain I might feel after a good workout at the gym. Once I was home and only walking for activity, pain was in the 0 to 1 range. I was discharged with a filled Rx for Dilaudid and knew it was there if I needed it--but was comfortable with acetaminophen and ice.
 
Of course last night my leg ached enough that I had to ice, elevate and and could not sleep until 4 a.m. I don't think I realized that I went up and down the stairs more than a few times and never iced or elevated. Duh
 
@misread. @jayceyThat is so hard!!my pain is always worse early evening. I had to take an extra pain med after elevating and icing weren't working. Finally slept for 4 hours. Took more meds and slept until 6. The surgeon's nurse wants me to wean off pain meds. PT wants me to add more exercises bc I've mastered the regular ones. Too much pressure! I can't constantly be worried about pain. I can tell the PT I'm not doing more exercises. But how do I tell the nurse I'm very stressed about weaning and keeping my pain at a level where I can heal? I understand some pain (2-4) but should I be able to handle 3-4,5 most of he time? I tagged Jaycey as I'm writing this and realizing I'm asking for moderators advice. Thanks for listening.
 
personally, I would not think anyone would want you to tolerate a 3-4,5 anytime during this recovery especially if you are getting PT. I would be in pain every afternoon too. Actually, I am and that is just after going about my everyday routine. Take a rest from PT and see what happens regarding your pain. Weaning doesn't mean cold turkey either. It's a slow process. I hope today was a better day for you. Sorry to be late in replying as I am still mastering this forum and figuring out how to see particular posts regularly. Hopefully following you will help.
 
Day 11
After a few days of daytime napping, staying up till 4 a.m. , being nausea from Tylenol cuz I didn't have enought in my stomach, and generally out of it I took someone's suggestion about getting on a routine. Like when I am at work. Today was the first day and it helped. I set the alarm, lay in bed a bit late, ate, took meds, had snacks between meals, did a bit of very light house work, fixed a plate of snacks for a visitor, iced and elevated and it was a very good day. I didn't nap so i should be able to sleep through the night. We shall see. Let me not forget that every 24 hrs is different. It's that time. Hope folks had a decent day. Hang in there. That's all we can do.
 
But how do I tell the nurse I'm very stressed about weaning and keeping my pain at a level where I can heal?
Tell that nurse you are in pain and need your meds. She should not be dictating your medication needs. Everyone is different and you can't put everyone on the same routine. You will know it's time to wean off your meds when you start to forget doses.
Take a rest from PT and see what happens regarding your pain.
Excellent advice! Hips don't need all that exercise. Walking is the best therapy and not to excess.

@mlsread Sounds like you are doing really well!
 
I told the nurse exactly what I needed. She did as I asked her to. I was following the prescription to the T so there was no reason for her not to. Not having to worry about pain management has helped. Just walking has helped. Sleeping has helped. Of course ice and elevating are still my BFF. Thank you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom