Guest viewing is limited

TKR Missy Jane’s second knee replacement

I had an interesting conversation at PT yesterday with the gentleman who was with me in the “icing area” (the place I go has a number of ice machines we can use at the end of a session; everyone agrees that it’s the BEST part of therapy).

Anyway he was three weeks out from a TKR, compared to my seven. He has struggled with his blood pressure meds during recovery but his biggest problem is impatience IMHO. He told me about last weekend - got up and did his exercises and felt great so he convinced his wife to take a short trip to a very large big box store for “just a few things.” Had to use the restroom before leaving the store which required an extra walk and then when he got back to the checkout he had lost his wallet. That required a long walk in a different direction to retrieve the wallet at the service desk. He said his knee was swollen like a balloon and he was miserable. They had planned to go to a wedding that evening but he stayed home with his ice packs and his wife went without him. He’s feeling like a “big baby.”

I made him write down the address for Bone Smart and introduced him to the ODIC. Gosh I hope he paid attention. I would have planned to rest most of the day before an event at this point in recovery but probably sent regrets at three weeks. We Bonesmarties are so lucky to have this resource!
 
Thank you for spreading the word about BoneSmart, @missyjane.

We hear too many stories about patients in early recovery who feel the same as your gentleman. I wish surgical teams would do a better job of explaining that this is a long, slow recovery so patients don't end up feeling that they have failed.

You were very kind to help him. I hope he does come check us out.
 
I made him write down the address for Bone Smart and introduced him to the ODIC. Gosh I hope he paid attention. I would have planned to rest most of the day before an event at this point in recovery but probably sent regrets at three weeks. We Bonesmarties are so lucky to have this resource!
I love this! How thoughtful of you to care for a perfect stranger in such a way. Wondering if he chuckled over the ODIC?

Thanks so much for sharing BoneSmart with him, I hope he joins us!
I like the "icing area" also after your sessions. That wasn't the case for me. Any type of community situation where you can support and encourage others is a wonderful idea. Nice way to meet people traveling the same road as you!

I hope you have a lovely Thursday and weekend, missyjane. :)
 
:hi:Happy Two Month Anniversary! Hope you're having a nice weekend.
Wishing you a great week ahead! :SUNsmile:
@missyjane
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We'd love to hear from you, its been awhile.
Wishing you continued healing, with steady. progress and pain free living.
Enjoy the season! :flwrysmile:
@missyjane
 
Thanks for checking in, Layla! My recovery continues to be a smooth one. I do have some aches and pains but not the grinding bone-on-bone that I lived with for so long.
At almost three months post surgery we took a three day trip to Dearborn MI and visited the Henry Ford museums d the Vilkage. It was a lot of walking but we took it slow and had lots of sitting breaks whenever we found a park bench. I came home thrilled with my progress - so thrilled that we have scheduled a European river cruise in late October. We were moderate in choosing excursions but feel confident that this will be ok. My husband can laze around for a few days and then go for a 3 mile walk but I am taking the slow and steady approach and walking for shorter distances most days. I'm getting stronger each day. And, yes, the ice packs are still in the freezer ready to work their magic if I overdo!
My heart goes out to anyone frustrated with the time this recovery takes but it is so worth it in the end!
 
Great news to read you're doing so well at almost five month post op, missyjane. I'll bet you're excited about the upcoming European river cruise. It sounds like you're taking a balanced approach in regard to the excursions. You'll have to update us upon your return...if we don't hear from you before then. Thanks for your words of encouragement to those following behind you.
Happy August 2026, I hope it's a good one! :SUNsmile:
@missyjane
 
I came home thrilled with my progress - so thrilled that we have scheduled a European river cruise in late October.
Great report. If you were able to do so much at 3 months post-op, you will be fine for your cruise!
 
How well you are doing with your recovery. It is wonderful to read!
 
Happy Five Month Anniversary!
Wishing you a wonderful week, missyjane.
Thanks for sharing your healing journey here. We appreciate you! :)
@missyjane
 
Six months down...a common halfway point of full recovery. Hope you're doing well and looking forward to Autumn. May it be one of your best!
Happy Six Month Anniversary!
@missyjane
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom