TKR Michele's RTKR recovery journey

Cheleigh, when you say lumps, do you mean visible lumps, or lumps you can just feel under the surface, like knots in the muscle? If you mean the former, I don’t know about that, but if you mean the latter, I’ve definitely experienced that (more before surgery than after, but I wasn’t getting massage then).

I used a little ball with bumps on it (that I actually bought to roll out my feet!) to gently roll and massage the knots around my knee. I like the ball better than a foam roller because I could work all around my knee very carefully and get into all the little spots without hurting anything. I didn’t like the big hard lacrosse balls but this little ball was a bit softer and much smaller and worked really well for me.

Maybe something to try? The one I got is called Gaiam Restore foot massage roller. It has gentle bumps (some of them are spiky…ouch!) I got it on Amazon.
 
@JusticeRider it seems like muscle knots but they’re visible if you compare my two knees but not obviously visible if just looking at my knee. I actually have those balls and the foot massager haha! I will try! Thank you soooo much!!
 
Hey BoneSmart, I was reading through my Aftercare notes from Physical Therapy and wanted to share ROM progression before and after following gentle approach to recovery.

8/31 TKR surgery I was released with ROM of 120. (Discharge PT let me walk to the end of a long hallway, did leg raises and went up and down steps as part of discharge PT. I say that this was way too much as my leg was numb and I didn’t realize I was doing too much. I think this played a role in what was the beginning of my setback with range of motion advancement.)
9/1 couldn’t bend knee at all.
9/8 ROM 70
(Between 9/8-9/11 I followed PT instructions and did rigorous heel slides at home for hours a day)
9/12 ROM 55
9/16 ROM 56
9/22 ROM 67
9/26 ROM 65
9/29 ROM 75
(During all that time above I was spending a lot of time at home per PT instructions - doing ROM exercises becoming very depressed because I was doing everything “right” and regressing or getting little progress).
10/1 Found BoneSmart and began lurking posts, understanding the “gentle approach to recovery”and just about recovery overall - unlike anything I’d found anywhere else) Stopped doing at home PT exercises all together.
10/10 ROM 80
10/15 ROM 82
10/24 ROM 86
11/1 ROM 92
11/19 ROM 92
12/6 ROM 92
12/20 ROM 95
1/4 ROM 100

I’ll continue to track my ROM throughout the rest of the recovery year but I thought this was pretty telling to see ROM progression once I began following the gentle approach and met you helpful, knowledgeable BoneSmart sweeties. I’m so thankful for this group!
 
Hello Bonesmart friends! I'm sorry for being MIA. We were so sick in January again. I had an ear infection for two weeks and had fluid on my ear that wouldn't dry up. It finally cleared up after a few days after finishing prednizone. How are ya'll?

Wanted to share that I saw an ENT about my ear and have lost low range hearing since Nov 2020 (I had it checked because I got pummeled by a wave and thought my ear drum was burst - so we had something to compare to). The Dr had no explanation for a person my age losing hear aside from my knee surgery. He explained that years ago they discovered that open heart surgery patients were suffering from hearing loss (ultimately nerve damage) because while they were keeping the patient alive during surgery fat cells would get in bone marrow. They realized this and changed procedures and it's no longer an issue but the ENT dr said he's seen my issue time and time again with people who've had joints replaced. There's not enough research out there to point to it and say definitively that's what's happening, but that's what he believes happened to me. So he told me to take prenatal vitamins as they supposedly help heal nerve damage and I got back in June for another hearing test.

My range of motion has improved some. I've been sitting on my stability ball this week during parts of my workouts with no fear of falling. Today I did my favorite kick box workout. Man, I was a boss to do that whole thing before and not get my butt kicked like today! hahaa! I hope ya'll are doing great and staying warm, dry and healthy!
 
Wow! I have never heard about a possible correlation between joint replacement and hearing loss and plan to bring it to staff business since it is a very interesting topic. Also, getting pummeled by a wave and worrying it pierced your ear drum….it hurts to read that, Cheleigh! It must have been painful and the thought of permanent damage frightening.

Aside from this it seems you’re doing well. You’re almost 6 months post op so I will wish you an early Happy Six Month Anniversary!
Thanks for stopping by with an update, it’s always nice to hear from you.
A great rest of the week to you! :SUNsmile:
@Cheleigh
 
Hey @Cheleigh ! I have thought of you often and wondered how you’ve been doing! I’m sorry to hear about your ear and the hearing loss. So odd! Is this something that can come back? What I mean is, is it possible you could regain the hearing you lost? I hope so. I’m curious how your knee is doing at this point since we were both August surgeries. If you have time and feel like posting again I’d love to hear more about it! Wishing you well :flwrysmile:
 
@JusticeRider Hi friend! How are YOU doing? I believe you didn't have rom issues with your recovery. Am I remembering that right? I had my 6 mo followup on Tuesday and my ROM is around 110-115 and continues to improve as swelling subsides. I am still numb on the right side of my knee cap and shin area and my incision is still sore to the touch but apparently if I regularly rub oil or lotion on it, it will return to normal, I've just been too skeerdy cat to do it. Aghhh Going down steps is still slow and not a favorite thing to do. Going up is easy peasy and I don't have to have a side rail anymore to hold on to but I still use them if there's one there. haha! I also haven't stopped using my high riser toilet because I just like to sit high! hahah! Is that tmi? haha! I still get stiff when I sit for more than 20 mins and have occasional pain in the back of my knee. Other than that i'm doing great over all. Started working out regularly and even won a Step Challenge a couple weeks ago. Woot! How are you on steps and activity, pain, stiffness or numbness at all? It's so so good to hear from you!

PS. On the hearing, supposedly prenatal vitamins help to restore nerves. So i'm taking them til I have a follow-up appt in June and have another hearing test then. Hoping it will return. The ENT Dr said it can return.
 
Hi @Cheleigh !! So great to hear how you’re doing! So much like where I’m at, actually! I did struggle with ROM, and like yours mine didn’t start improving until my swelling finally eased up. I’m going to leave a full report on my thread on Saturday for my 7 month update. 7 months tomorrow, I can’t believe it!

I’m really glad your hearing can be restored! Hopefully those vitamins will do the trick and by June you’ll be back to normal. Congrats on winning the step challenge!! So cool! :wowspring:
 
Wow! I have never heard about a possible correlation between joint replacement and hearing loss and plan to bring it to staff business since it is a very interesting topic.

@Layla I'm so sorry for replying so late. If you haven't added it as a topic of discussion yet, just wanted to share that it may be helpful to know that the ENT said he's seen this time and time again with patients who are overall healthy, with no recent major illnesses, "young", and have no explainable reason for hearing loss - the only common variable was recent joint replacement surgery. Fat cells getting in bone marrow is what he said happens and a side effect is - nerve damage. I go back in the summer for a hearing test and hopefully the prenatal vitamins help between now and then.
 
Hi Cheleigh,
Thanks for updating, it's good to hear from you. It seems you're doing really well.
I did report the joint replacement / hearing loss as an interesting topic, I will also add the info about fat cells. getting into bone marrow. There hasn't been anyone on staff that commented they've heard this before.
Fat cells getting in bone marrow, pre-natal vitamins to hopefully restore nerves...all of it! I hope you find your hearing has been restored in June. I am happy to read recovery is progressing nicely for you.
Best Wishes for a lovely Spring! :flwrysmile:
@Cheleigh
 
he's seen this time and time again with patients who are overall healthy, with no recent major illnesses, "young", and have no explainable reason for hearing loss
Michelle, this is so interesting, thank you for the information. I would have had no idea this was a possiblity!

Also, I wish I could just issue a PSA to everyone everywhere: please stop telling people who are younger than the average joint replacement patient “You are young, you’ll heal fast!” or “You are young, you’ll have an easier recovery”.

That is not always the case. I know it hasn’t been for me (in fact, I was researching MUA’s when my OS was recommending one for me, and one of the factors that increased one’s risk of needing a MUA was being under age 55!) and when people say things like this to younger patients, it creates an expectation that leads to disappointment and a feeling of failure if it doesn’t happen.

(Not to mention you have people like @Oliver7598 who is at least 25 years my and Cheleigh’s senior and has had an incredible recovery! Go Oliver!!)

And now it turns out there are things like hearing loss that are more likely in younger patients. Wow. Anyway, sorry to write a little rant on your thread, Cheleigh! I just get frustrated because the last thing anyone needs is MORE unrealistic expectations for a recovery that is already sold as being much faster and easier than it is in reality. Please, everyone, be kind to the younger patients and don’t put extra expectations on them.

Ok, PSA over. Tell your friends.

Cheleigh, you’re amazing! So glad you checked back in with us!! :friends:
 
please stop telling people who are younger than the average joint replacement patient “You are young, you’ll heal fast!” or “You are young, you’ll have an easier recovery”.
On the other side of the age debate, we have heard that younger people have a longer time healing because they have more muscle mass to heal than older people.

So, again, it doesn't matter what people think about your knee's timing because it's your knee's timing!
 
Also, I wish I could just issue a PSA to everyone everywhere: please stop telling people who are younger than the average joint replacement patient “You are young, you’ll heal fast!” or “You are young, you’ll have an easier recovery
I think I may be someone who has been guilty of this- at least in thought if not in speech. I understand how irritating it can be. I guess as you get older you often have more aches and pains and less stamina overall and wish you were that bit younger to cope with things and think it must be easier.
But what you forget is;
- when you are younger there are a lot more demands on your energy/ time with work and caring responsibilities.
- expectations both from yourself and others are way higher in terms of activities. No one is expecting me to ride,
ski or climb mountains and an active day is just walking over 10000 steps.
I suppose historically this is why surgeons were a bit reluctant to do TKRs on younger people because they were likely to be a lot more active and wear them out more. Although it doesn't really apply now with the evidence that implants can last a lifetime.
 
Hi everyone! Month 7 coming up and my ROM is better than ever AND some of the numb spots are thawed out!! (I really wonder if the prenatal vitamins the ENT has me taking for nerve damage is helping or if it’s just coincidence). I’m so thankful and I so wish I had met you all sooner so I’d never stressed so awful over being “behind” with ROM progress. You’ve said all along that it will come and you were right.

My poor 14-year-old reminded me yesterday of all the times she heard me crying in the shower that first month of recovery, and I didn’t know that she heard. I felt so bad for her because I was just crying over my leg being just so straight and it just wouldn’t bend well at all. I really just should’ve calmed down, like you all have said all along, rest, not overdo it, let my body heal in its own time, and try to enjoy the recovery as much as possible and however possible that is.

Just wanted to share. I hope you guys are having a great day! Happy spring!
 
@Cheleigh that is sooo wonderful! I am just so happy for you and glad we both found BoneSmart to help us through. It’s heartbreaking thinking of you crying in your shower. And your poor daughter worrying for you! I remember crying so much the first few months. I told my husband I think I cried more in that 4 months or so than all the crying in my adult life added up. But we persevered, didn’t we? And we’re gonna be ok!
 
Hi Cheleigh!
It's so nice to hear from you. Glad to read you're doing so well, especially after a first rough month
of tears, aww :console2: Thankfully things are looking up.
Happy Spring to you and an early Happy Seven Month Anniversary!
@Cheleigh
 
I told my husband I think I cried more in that 4 months or so than all the crying in my adult life added up. But we persevered, didn’t we? And we’re gonna be ok!
Yes we did! You’re right there water lots of tears! We made it! I am the worst! I read your reply a couple weeks ago and thought I responded and see that I didn’t! I’m so sorry. You’ve been so helpful and kind to me so much and I shouldn’t wait so long to respond to you. ♥️♥️
 
Back
Top Bottom