Guest viewing is limited

TKR Michele's RTKR recovery journey

I have exactly the same issue. My ROM varies according to position/ type of exercise.
Lying on my back I can bring my heel back almost to my backside but can't grab the foot in a standing quad stretch.
I think it is normal and probably best accepted. I think it is partly that some exercises are harder standing/ working against gravity. Also I think it is partly confidence/ wanting to protect the new knee.
I didn't think I could squat back on my haunches but last week I was looking for something in a low cupboard. I didn't fancy kneeling on the hard floor so I was squatting and found I had gone right down! I sat there for a minute or two wondering how I was going to get back up! In fact it was OK but I haven't done it again as I don't want to push things.
 
I can tell you that I experience similar constraints during my first year of recovery but that my ability to do those stretches has continued to improve well into my second year, @Cheleigh.

I found that to help me sit in easy pose (cross-legged), I needed to sit on a cushion so that my hips were above my knees. I did that for quite a while but, over time, the muscles started to relax and stretch and I can now sit on the floor again.

Like everything else with this recovery, our bodies take their own time!
 
Nope, I don't think adhesions is restricting your bend. Your knee is still healing inside. All those soft tissues have to relearn how to move. Remember it takes at least a full year for a complete healing after this surgery.
 
Wow! I have never heard about a possible correlation between joint replacement and hearing loss and plan to bring it to staff business since it is a very interesting topic. Also, getting pummeled by a wave and worrying it pierced your ear drum….it hurts to read that, Cheleigh! It must have been painful and the thought of permanent damage frightening.

Aside from this it seems you’re doing well. You’re almost 6 months post op so I will wish you an early Happy Six Month Anniversary!
Thanks for stopping by with an update, it’s always nice to hear from you.
A great rest of the week to you! :SUNsmile:
@Cheleigh
Layla - is there another thread discussing this topic? I did a search but nothing came up (I've experienced it after both my ops).
 
Last edited:
Exactly. Every adjacent joint angle and load affects the knee ROM and where you feel it what with all the intertwining muscles, tendons and ligaments doing different things. I am not a student of this, but I am sure the physios and OS's must study it in detail. As for the standing quad stretch, I have started doing some of those with the physio band on my ankle and pulling that up behind my back since I can't quite reach my ankle on my own. I feel the stretch in the quads just above the kneecap, whereas as when doing heel slides while lying on my back with similar ROM I feel it in the front of the knee under the incision and down into the tibia. It is probably good to do both of these.

I have exactly the same issue. My ROM varies according to position/ type of exercise.
Lying on my back I can bring my heel back almost to my backside but can't grab the foot in a standing quad stretch.
I think it is normal and probably best accepted. I think it is partly that some exercises are harder standing/ working against gravity. Also I think it is partly confidence/ wanting to protect the new knee.
I didn't think I could squat back on my haunches but last week I was looking for something in a low cupboard. I didn't fancy kneeling on the hard floor so I was squatting and found I had gone right down! I sat there for a minute or two wondering how I was going to get back up! In fact it was OK but I haven't done it again as I don't want to push things.
 
is there another thread discussing this topic? I did a search but nothing came up (I've experienced it after both my ops).
Very Interesting!! Thanks for sharing this information. I am tagging, @Jamie so she sees that you were also affected by this. She intends to write an article on it, but has to prioritize as she's stretched pretty thin currently.

This is what she had to say about it after I reported it -
"I did a little research on this and there actually are some studies reported by the Arthritis Foundation that indicate hearing loss MAY occur with the use of pain medications used with joint replacement surgery. Not a given, just a risk. What also was interesting was that some studies showed a loss even with NSAIDs and Tylenol with what they deemed "regular" use (two times a week for an extended period of time). That would include a LOT of people. I need to do more research and write an article on this."

Hey Cheleigh, I hope you're doing well, back enjoying life.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a blessed 2024!
@Cheleigh
 
Layla is right that I believe this to be an interesting topic for an article. It's on my very long list and I can't promise when I may get to it, though. If you wanted to post about your experience with this problem, please do.
 
Almost a whole year since I've stopped by! I guess that's a good thing in the grand scheme of life. I saw an email about the new site and wanted to check it out. I hope you all are doing well and helping and encouraging so many people recovering with new knees. Take care! Happy Summer!
 
Welcome back!
How's it going?
We are pretty near contemporaries in terms of recovery time.
Do you still notice any changes?
 
Hi Cheleigh!
Wow…a whole year?! Time certainly flies.
I hope you’re doing well. Wishing you a great Summer 2024! :SUNsmile:
@Cheleigh
 
Hi, @Cheleigh ….. nice to hear from you! Am I assuming correctly that your knee is doing well? I hope so.

We are proud of our new website design and functionality (nothing really changed with the forum….just the website at https://bonesmart.org ). If you have a chance to explore it, I’d love your feedback - both good and bad comments are welcome as we’re still tweaking some things and will be throughout the summer.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom