TKR Mermaid's Second TKR

I had internal stitches and glue as well. Do check with your OS; however, my OS said I could shower as long as I had waterproof strip covering the incision. I asked my PT for a few of those. But, in addition to the waterproof strip, I covered my thigh to calf with plastic wrap (the cling kind) - I was afraid I would get it wet with just the strip - probably not, but nervous ninny). Then I ended up ordering a water proof leg cover - it is made to go over a cast on your leg - from Amazon and it worked wonderfully!! I had to keep my glue covered from the water until my 1st OS follow up which was 4 weeks!

Glad everything went well during your surgery and recovery so far. Sounds like you're doing it right. Make sure to have a snack with the percocet, even in the middle of the night. After about the first 8-14 days things start getting much better with less pain.
 
Thank you for your support. I tried that today. I may have glue also because I have internal stitches that will dissolve. I found some waterproof bandages in my PT folder. I am now dealing with sciatic pain that seems to be triggered by elevating my leg... I hope you don't experience that!!!
Take care and thank you for talking to me.
 
I had some sciatic pain in my second week. I discussed it with PT who suggested I do occasional hamstring stretches to help relieve pain. Ì only do 2 or 3 at a time several times a day. It did not completely go away but t helped somewhat. Gradually going away at day 20.
 
Jep, check, I've had occasional twinges of sciatic pain from the pillow elevation in the first 2 weeks, and hamstring stretches really helped!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mermaid44 my LTKR was just one day before yours. I have internal stitches and glue too. I had a waterproof bandage and could shower until it was removed this past Monday. Now sponge baths till I see the PA on August 4. I guess every doctor has different rules. I'm glad you seem to be doing well. How is your therapy going?
 
I think that this surgery is the most horrible experience I have ever been through. I am not a cry baby but I cry myself to sleep ( not restful sleep) every night. I am just miserable. I now have a terrible sciatic pain from the elevating of my leg. The elevation puts so much pressure on my sciatic nerve. Sometimes I think that hurts more than the surgery itself. I really wish I wouldn't have done this. Maybe in a year I'll feel differently but for now I am just miserable.
 
Hanging in there, my dear. My sister had her knee replaced 2 years ago and she told me I would spend at least the first two weeks regretting I had done mine. She also says it gets better and two years out her knee is functional and painless. I hope it goes that way for you and me. I'm almost 3 weeks out and the awful pain is beginning to improve. But I know we've both got a long haul ahead. Hope the pain soon tapers off for you.
 
Truly the first few weeks are the worst. I also had back/hip pain and wasn't able to get comfortable. There is hope though! Many TKRs feel a bit of a turn around 4-6 weeks. For right now be sure to follow the guidelines and keep your actvity level low, following the Activity progression for TKRs.

Sleep is a problem for many TKRs as well. I hated to see the sky darken and street lights come on, but napping through the day is imperative to your recovery. Your body needs rest to heal and napping will help.
 
Hi @mermaid44 - I had a spinal fusion about a year and a half before my first TKR. After my knee replacement, I tried to elevate for about 5 minutes and it was, for me also, extremely painful. So I just stopped trying to elevate my leg. I spent most of my recovery time stretched out on the couch with my knee just slightly bent (or in whatever position was comfortable). I did have an ice pack on almost constantly. My knee was never more than moderately swollen but even on the days that I pushed my limits and had an increase in swelling, I had no trouble controlling/reducing it just using ice without elevation.

I would never tell anyone that they should or shouldn't elevate but you know, there's no one thing that works for every single person. Sometimes you have to experiment a little and find the right thing for you. I can tell you that I healed just fine without elevation. With both knees I was walking without any devices within a week, driving at 3 weeks and back at work in 7 weeks. I'm not a "miracle" case - I had my fair share of pain and more. When I wasn't at work I was resting with an ice pack.

I'm certainly not an expert so take this for what it's worth, but if I was doing something that caused me so much pain that I was in tears on a daily basis, I would stop doing that thing. Good luck - I hope you start feeling better soon.
 
I had back surgery last year for spinal stenosis, a bone spur was pressing on sciatic nerve. When I try to elevate toes above nose my legs go to sleep and hurt at same time. So I just try to elevate as much as I can and ice. I understand the crying, I think it's a combination of narcotic pain medicine, depression and the pain. My back surgery was a piece of cake compared to TKR. I'm also still in the why on earth did I do this stage, hopefully next week will be better for you and me.
 
Thank you @jboles and susie09, I appreciate your support and I'm actually feeling a little better. I just decided I won't elevate if it caused more pain. I just elevate a little now and ice constantly. You're right, the narcotics, lack of sleep and cabin fever are all attributing to my low feelings. I'm usually very upbeat and laid back. I'm trying the best I can to just relax my body and mind. Thank you again for your kind words and understanding. I wish the very best for you both.
 
I'm so sad to read your post, and I know how you feel. My surgery was 2 days after yours. It goes through my mind that regardless of how much support we have from others, at the end of the day it's just the patient and the knee and a long, lonely night ahead.

One thing I notice from reading lots and lots of BoneSmart posts is that a terrible painful day can very quickly give way to an uplifting progress day. I think the thing that's hard to take emotionally is that we never know how long the bad stuff will persist. But I can assure you that before you know it, you will be beyond this tough stage.

When I start to feel despair, I first try to make a physical adjustment - a different position, or move around a bit - and then a "head adjustment" to try to introduce some positive thinking. I like to go to YouTube and search for guided meditation for healing. I go to sleep with these positive thoughts running through my head, thinking about all the invisible work my body is doing to promote healing.

I hope that by the time you read this you will be in a better place. Stay connected to us on BoneSmart.:console2:
 
If elevating hurts try just propping your leg up. Toes above nose is good for swelling, but propping it up on the sofa, ottoman or recliner will also help.
 
Awww Mermaid! You are right, it sure does hurt! That's why they load you up on drugs, so you can handle the pain! Trouble is, they also send a mixed message about possible addiction. I tried to wean off in the first couple of weeks...bad idea, don't do that!

I also had trouble elevating the leg, couldn't do more than 2 pillows before it started hurting. If you have sciatica, you might want to pass on the high elevation. Just do what is comfortable and keep icing the knee. And if you gotta cry, then cry, you've earned it after what they did to your knee. And the blues are a thing too, you may have some of that.

Like the others have said, hang in there, it does get better. I am at 6 weeks now and just beginning to think I did the right thing.
 
I have a question. I sleep with the ice machine on my knee and that causes a lot of my sleep issues. That hose is so uncomfortable and I'm a side sleeper so sleeping on my back is hard especially now that I'm getting sciatic pain. Is it ok to not ice during sleep? I've already had to give up icing. Tomorrow is 2 weeks post op. I will see my doctor's assistant tomorrow. Swelling has gone down a lot and I have 90 degrees now. Some weird pains, stabbing pains occasionally but a constant ache... I definitely was not prepared to deal with this long recovery process. I go back to work on August 21. I am a 2nd grade teacher and feel like I need to be there especially at the beginning. Im hoping I'll be able to follow that plan. I'll have to wait and see.
 
Have you tried one of those ice bags you get at the drug store? You can move them to where they feel the best. And you aren't required to ice at night if it isn't helpful...
 
You might want to talk with @KarriB who was also a teacher. She had a great transition plan for back to school.

I had surgery the same day as you. I also have some minor back issues and cannot comfortably elevate, but sit with the knee as propped as I can and always iced ( Chattanooga gel pacs off Amazon). Take your pain meds and stay ahead of it. Are you on Gambapentin? If not, you might ask your OS about it...for both the knee and your sciatica.

I find reading books that take me to different places helps take my mind off of the surgery and cabin fever. Are you going out for PT? If so, can you take the long way home and get a change of scenery? I find even that helps! Do you have mindless things you can do ( sitting in a comfortable position) to get ready for your kiddos?
 
You really are nearly out of what I considered the dark days of immediate recovery. Those first 2-3 weeks are no fun at all. You may want to ask about the Gabapentin. My OS put me on it for the first month and I think it helped a lot with any of the stabbing pains. Later down the road, the zingers were very tolerable as I didn't see them as pain, I saw them as - oh cool... maybe I will get more feeling back in my numb area. :)

Hang in there. It will get better. Just not at the pace we all would like.
 
Oh boy, @mermaid44 , I think you may find it difficult to return to school almost a month post op. I taught first grade at the time of my TKR and my OS told me to plan on being away from school for 12 weeks. I went back exactly 12 weeks post op, but mornings only. I had a complication with my TKR which made part time (for 6 weeks) the best option and the only way my OS would allow me to return. His script said I could only work for 3.5 hours.

I totally understand how important the beginning of the year is. I planned my TKR for Oct. 29 to give me two months to get my class into a routine etc, as well as knowing I'd lose less instructional time with Thanksgiving and Christmas break during my recovery. But returning to a teaching position just one month post op is going to be difficult. At one month I still had quite a bit of swelling, brain fog and pain when walking or standing for longer than 5-10 minutes. When I did return I had places I could sit throughout the classroom because standing for too long was still painful. There's also a chance you might prolong your recovery by going back to work so early. Is there anyway you can hold off for another month or two?
 
Hi Mermaid -- I don't think you need to use the ice machine all night - particularly if it is hindering your sleep and your swelling isn't too bad. I used to start with the ice machine and then take it off after about an hour or so which worked for me.
 
Back
Top Bottom