Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mermaid's Second TKR

Thank you @KarriB, I was wondering what I should do. I don't want to hinder my recovery in any way. Getting this far has been a rough ride. I just don't know what to do! The part time thing may work. I know my district has a strict policy about "restrictions". They will not allow me to return until I'm restriction free. This added stress is causing me much grief. I tried to get a late June surgery date but my surgeon is retiring and I was put on a wait list. July 18 luckily opened due to a cancellation. I had no idea the recovery would be like this!! In the mean time, I have some serious thinking to do.
 
Thank you @Jamie for the opportunity to participate in a study. I will be happy to do it as long as it is before August 21 when I may return to work.
 
Would your district have to follow a doctor's script if he wrote one for a phased return? When would you need to let the school know so they can get a substitute for you?

I cannot imagine trying to prep a room at 1 month post op because chances are you'll still be feeling the effects of energy drain. Luckily my dad and bff both had TKRs so on top of my OS telling me it would be 12 weeks before I'd feel up to working, I also saw how long a recovery would take.

On another note I was able to sleep on my side for a few hours around week 4 by placing my natural left knee over my RTKR. If your leg isn't swelling too much over night try not icing through the night. I never iced through the night, but I did elevate off/on.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you'll be ready to go back to teaching so early, either. At 1 month out you'll be only 1/12 of the way of a year long healing. The exhaustion and brain fog will still be bad. And the pain from not being able to ice and elevate will be very uncomfortable. Please try and find a way to work a staged back to work schedule or postpone it a couple of months. You are doing well, so far. We don't want to see you in distress.
 
Thanks, Mermaid! I appreciate your help. I'll get back to you shortly with more information as I'm still putting the groups together. Please respond in the PM from now on, though, so I can keep all your information in one spot. This will be especially important for you since you won't be available after August 21. Keep in mind that the study is only a one hour phone call with a possible follow up call and that could be scheduled around your work requirements. But I understand if you don't want to complicate things once you return to the "real world."
 
My surgery was 2 weeks yesterday and I'm getting tired of icing at night. I try to leave it on till I get sleepy then take it off, but I still can't sleep on my side.
 
Hello,
I had my TKR on my right knee on July 18, 2017. Things were going well in the recovery process then for the last month, I have been having a lot of pain behind my knee and on the left part (facing the left knee). I feel like something is loose or disjointed.

Sometimes, I feel the pain and popping sensation in my hip. Then sometimes the whole knee just plain hurts. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor right away.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Back
Top Bottom