TKR Megan post surgery progress 11/16/15

I returned to work today- I am 5 weeks post-op. Pain is manageable with Motrin, but I am still having swelling and a feeling of tightness around the knee. In addition to work, also had PT today. Did 10 slow minutes on the recumbent bike and some additional exercises. The best part was the massage around the knee that the PT did today. Evidently my muscles are very tight. Anyway, I am exhausted and spent most of this evening elevating and icing. I work from home tomorrow so I will not have the walk from my car to the office to deal with. It is cold here in Sacramento and after 4 weeks of inactivity, my endurance is low.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow! I could not have gone back to work at 5 weeks. Take it easy at home today.
 
I hope you have a good day working from home and can ice and elevate. Will you be able to work from home much? Those can be your "recovery" days from having to go in to work.
 
my endurance is low.
It will be for quite some time, as your body is still expending large amounts of energy toward the healing of the TKR.

Wow! I could not have gone back to work at 5 weeks.
Neither could I---great to work from home today, and ice and elevate as much and as long as you can.
 
Just don't over do it at work I am lucky I work from home and have managed to take care of necessary stuff and the rest can wait, but even spending an hour in my office and I am drained. At least I don't have far to go for a rest. :heehee:
I also got a knee massage yesterday at pt but boy my knee was stiff and sore last night actually woke me up.:nah:
Take care have a great day.
 
5 weeks is so early to go back to work. You're going to get very tired, because much of your energy is still being directed to healing your knee. You'll probably find that your knee swells more, too. Try not to do anything but work on work days. Just rest when you come home.

If you go to PT after work, don't do any exercises, because your knee will have done enough for the day. Just ask for massage.
 
Wow Megan, five weeks sounds like a quick return. My doctor was barely letting me drive. Hopefully there is a good balance of sitting and standing.
 
Yes, don't take your pt to 'over the line" I did and got a pulled thigh muscle for it - I learned my lesson the hard way.
 
Well I just finished my 1st week back at work - 3 days in the office and 2 days teleworking from home. I am exhausted and wish I had the option to stay out longer. My endurance is so poor that I am tired just walking from the car to the office. I am using a cane now. I see why everyone recommends waiting longer to return to work. Still doing PT and my exercises. My knee still bothers me at night so I am taking a Percocet to help at night. Very thankful that Christmas is next week- it means a shortened work week.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Megan was reading you posts just noticed you are in Sacramento I am in Placerville pretty close . I hope you are doing well I had my tkr in June doing pretty good now except like you mentioned the cold wet weather is not my best friend any way will chat again .

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Hi Megan,
Congrats on your recovery so far!! I'm a couple weeks behind you, mine was end of November.

Your thread caught my eye (I love your kitties!!!) as I have 3 fur balls as well. I wanted to chime in to see how they have been acting during your layup? Mine have been so funny- oldest boy cat is glued to my side, and now yells at me when I return home from being out (I feel
like he's telling me I'm doing too much, haha). He was also therapy supervisor, luckily my PT was an animal person and didn't mind!

And my non lap girl cat now comes and sits on my lap while I ice every day. Just wondering if your kitties have been "helping" you as much as mine have? Silly subject, but it's nice to lighten up sometimes :-)

[Bonesmart.org] Megan post surgery progress 11/16/15



Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Wow, Megan, we had surgery the same day, and I still have another week off to go. I can't imagine trying to pull off a full work day yet. When I go back, the first two weeks will be half time, which I hope will be no problem by the end of the second week. Make sure you get lots of rest. With my hip recovery, I found the first few weeks of work, I pretty much went to work, came home, iced, ate dinner, iced and went to bed. No way could I do any activities after work, but I could do some on the weekend. Try to get as much rest as possible.

Also, are you able to ice at work at all? That is also helpful.

Good luck next week, and get as much rest as possible!
 
I can't believe you have nail polish on! :yay:I couldn't have any on for surgery, and there is no way I can reach those toes to paint them now! :heehee: You go girl!

Ha! How funny, I was jealous of your painted toes too. Totally ignored the wound!! I must ask a friend if she will paint mine again, no way can I get down there by myself yet!
Interested to know ~ How's your calf pain now?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It has been awhile since I have had time to post. I had my TKR on the right side in November 2015. Recovery went as expected in the early months. I learned so much on this forum. I have been back to work since January. Initially I was doing fine, but now I find my knee stiffening up and it is painful behind my knee. I am also easily exhausted. I went to the orthopedic MD and he said the knee was fine and that I need to do the extension exercises more frequently.
I am so discouraged right now because my knee felt great after 2 months and now I am in pain- I also limp like a little old lady in her 80's. Has anyone had a minor setback after doing well?? What did you do to get through it to pain free walking again???
Megan
 
@Megan---I merged your two recovery threads, so we could quickly see where you had been and what is going on now. By having only one recovery thread, it allows us to see what has been going on and what is going on, so we can get you the advice much more efficiently and effectively.
 
but now I find my knee stiffening up and it is painful behind my knee.
I need to do the extension exercises more frequently.
It might be your hamstring muscle behind the knee---and it is weak and needs to be both strengthened and stretched. You are putting a great deal of stress on it, and it is not completely healed yet. You are trying to do things with the knee that it may be not ready to do quite yet

Remember how lengthy a TKR recovery actually can be---up to a year---or more. I had a slight limp for five months---and it was not until six months that I was around 80%-85%, and it was not until eight months or so that I was around 90%-95%.

Are you icing and elevating---while you have been in recovery for five months, you can still ice, rest, and elevate---and it sounds like your surgical knee is trying to tell you to slow things down a bit.
? What did you do to get through it to pain free walking again???
 
Hi Megan,

I'm sorry your knee is not behaving for you. I had my RTKR on 10/13/15, and it's definitely still healing. While I don't have pain behind my knee, I do have pain and tenderness around my patella and down my shin, especially after work. I also still have that tight band feeling that a lot of people talk about.

I saw my OS on 3/25, and after having a new set of X-rays, he told me that everything looks like it's right on track. My leg still swells at the end of the day, so I elevate, and go to bed with my Cryo Cuff on. My energy is not at full capacity, and I'm about to have my LTKR, so I expect it will be some time before I'm myself again. For pain, I take tylenol, and occasionally I'll take a couple of ibuprofen, but ice works for me. I truly believe it takes a year, or more, to heal properly. I think you'll find that there you're not alone in all this.
 
Thank you so much for responding to my post. I am going to slow down and listen to my knee. I need to have my left knee done but there is no way I am doing it until I can walk without pain or a limp. :thankyou:
Megan
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom