TKR Megan post surgery progress 11/16/15

Hang in there Megan I had one of those days listen to your body and rest up. Take the pain meds. Do have one of the ice machines for icing?. Mine has been my best friend since I came home from surgery and the os was really surprised on how little swelling I had and didn't bruise a lot either. It's lovely and chilly down here in San Diego today I am sitting in bed with some blankets over me and 4 legged kids keeping me company. The weather may also be aggravating your knee at the moment.
I am having my first PT at home this afternoon so we will see how that goes.
 
:kitty:@macduf 387- thank you for the encouragement - I do not have the ice machine- using ice packs. I had the option to get the machine, but did not. I wonder how long people use the ice machine. I will be 2 weeks from surgery on Monday. Not sure if I should order one now or not. I know for sure that I will use one when I have my 2nd knee replaced. It is cold and windy in Sacramento today- I have been inside all day in the recliner elevating my leg. :yellowcat:
 
@Megan the ice machine is around $100- $250 new I bought a donjoy off eBay for $50 delivered to my door and like I said it's been my best friend. Worth every penny and I am two weeks post op yesterday and I don't see giving it up anytime soon. We iced 15 water bottles 250ml and my husband rotates them so we are not making lots of ice. It works great. And I sleep with it attached circulating ice water around the knee. Have not had an issue with swelling or lots of bruising.
Sleep tight hope you have a good pain free night.
 
You're still very early, be sure you don't miss a dose of pain meds at this stage. I iced ever day until I was about 3 months out, then just after pt. I know many have got ice machines from e-bay, can't hurt to look as you're elevating and resting.
 
I'm over four months out and I'm sitting with ice on my knee righ now after a bit of shopping. I still use it after long days of work.
 
Wow! Twelve hours! I'd love to get that any night! Hope you are successful looking for an ice machine. I loved mine because it stayed cold for quite a while.
 
You won't regret the ice machine make sure it's one with a motor which circulates the water all the time. As for the staples coming out make sure you take your pain meds before you go. A nurse friend told me too and I was very happy I had taken them. It feels really good once they are out I have a lot more movement in my knee since they have been taken out.
 
Staples came out yesterday - I am finding it easier to do the exercises now that it does not feel like the staples are pulling my skin. I am going to start outpatient rehab as soon as I can find someone who takes my insurance. I am mostly using Motrin during the day, but need the Percocet at night. My knee has a dull ache, but my calf is really bothering me, even with ice. I do not have a DVT- just wondering if the calf pain is related to the bruising. I can also still feel the upper thigh pain where the tourniquet was in place. I am very encouraged right now, but just wish my calf did not hurt ( hard to sleep).
[Bonesmart.org] Megan post surgery progress 11/16/15
 
I am just amazed that you have no bruising. Your incision looks good! I have found that the ankle pumps help my calf pain - just stretching those muscles feels good. Does your OS have a PT facility associated with it? Goodluck finding a facility!
 
Your leg looks great for this point in your recovery! I was still very bruised. And I love your pedicure! (Did you do that just for this photo :heehee: I would have!)
 
Pedicure was pre- surgery :loveshwr: I called 5 different PT facilities trying to find one that takes my insurance ( and I have really good insurance). It should not be this stressful to find PT. I finally found a place about 4 miles from my house that said they could take me. :yahoo:Yeah!! First appointment is Monday. I am going crazy not being able to drive yet.
 
Glad you found PT! I hear you on the driving!!! I am still on the morphine, so no driving yet. I have too much pain still to back off. I miss having a glass of wine.....with my whine.....:cheers:
 
Your muscles can get tight after the surgery. you can try some mild heat or massage the calf a bit.
 
Looking good funny they didn't put the steri strips on the whole incision. I was three weeks post op yesterday the strips are finally starting to get tatty and hopefully will start falling off. I am having home out for another week because of the mix up and it's going well. He really stretched my leg today and had me walking down my passage to help get the gait right. Getting there slowly. I am glad you found pt close by. I am still using the 5-325 hydrocodone. But the hours are getting longer. I take my last one around 11 pm and sleep through till 7am sometimes need a loo break. :loll:
Make sure you take your meds before pt ☺️
Have a great pain free weekend.
 
I had my 1st outpatient PT today. I was able to ride the exercise bike very slowly, but at least I could bend my knee. I stopped all narcotics during the day and started driving last Friday. I cannot believe how much I missed the freedom of being able to drive. I am icing and elevating in hopes that my knee will let me get some sleep tonight. Still taking the Percocet at bedtime.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Nice! Good job on the bike! I was thrilled about being able to do full revolutions. I didn't think I would miss driving that much, but it sure is great to be able to do it again, isn't it?

I am cutting back on the oxycodone to not taking it during the day, but I think I will still need it at night for awhile.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Megan just checking in to see how you are doing nice work on the bicycle I am just about there to get that one revolution i can get it if i pull my hip back a bit. I know cheating :snork:
I am also cutting back on the norco during the day but need it at night.
Take care glad your recovery is going well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom