Bilateral TKR Meewee's New Knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! Need advice about MUA. I'm continuing to recover from BTKR on Sept 29th. It has been a rough ride for me but I'm still (tentatively) glad I made the choice to get it done. Just call it Murphy's Law, but it seems like I've had many of the "fine print" issues, and now need to make a decision whether or not to have MUA on both knees.
During my hospital stay, and 10 day rehab, I had severe abdominal pain and some nausea and would mention it to every single nurse and doctor who cared for me. They explained it was likely from the meds, lying on my back for so long, digestive issues, etc. When they would ask me for my pain level, I'd say for example, knees 5, abdomen 6. Absolutely no one seemed concerned. I mentioned it every single time I went for PT.

I went home and had wonderful care from my family. The home health care nurse also dismissed my mention of abdominal pain. It was such that I could no stand anything around my waist. They had me on lots of Senna and laxatives, to the point I had severe diarrhea. I did the home PT and made pretty good progress, despite the pain. Flexion +/-100 and extension +/-6-8 on both knees.

Just before Thanksgiving, I was in such pain, I went to my primary care physician and told her I was just a mess. That is strong language for me, as I've always had a high pain tolerance and been quite healthy. She checked me thoroughly, and ran many tests from thyroid, to blood sugar, blood count, etc. She noticed from my online records that when they did the CT for my blood clot in the hospital (1 day after surgery), there were gall stones. No one ever mentioned them to me. I guess they were focused on the blood clot. She noticed my appendix was tender and scheduled a CT immediately. I had eaten that day, so the next morning I had a CT. It showed a thickened gall blader and a very very angry appendix. They scheduled me for Gall Bladder and Appendix removal (laproscopic, general anesthesia) on Dec 2. I had to wait that long to go off the Xarelto and start the Lovenox shots. The surgery went smoothly and even though it took about 10 days to recover, the recovery was so much less painful, it was heavenly.

Now I no longer have the abdominal pain, but have been to PT twice a week - they are very gentle and don't push me to the point of pain, just a bit uncomfortable. I started back to work 4-6 hours a day about 3 weeks ago. We're a small company and mine is mostly a desk job, and they have been very generous and understanding with me having THREE months off. At work I try to be careful to elevate and ice whenever my knees get sore, but I have to say I am very glad to get home and really take it easy.

At my follow up last week, the OS strongly suggested that I have MUA in both knees due to scar tissue and/or adhesions; that my knees are extremely tight and I won't go much further without it. Both my PT's agreed (separately) and that was a surprise for me. Last week at PT they only got +/-90 flexion, and +/-14 extension.

I want to do what is best for my recovery but am extremely anxious about another procedure. My right knee is more painful than my left. The pain never gets below about a 5 on that knee, even with meds. Left pain is 2-3. Walking actually feels pretty good (for short distances), but I have to work on keeping my posture straight as I can't extend fully. Standing for more than 1 minute is painful. I still haven't slept through the night.

Sorry for the long post, but I need to make a decision fairly quickly. The OS and my PT said I would be sore for about a week, but then progress quickly. Also said if he did it on a Thurs, I would be ok to go back to work on a Monday.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. This forum has been a lifeline and I have read all the bone smart mantras and articles many times. I hesitated to add my experience because I did not want to discourage anyone from having a replacement. I think I've just had some bad luck!

Here's to good knees!
Meewee
 
One additional note:
After hearing I had to have gall bladder surgery, many people have mentioned to me or my family that major surgery sometimes causes trauma to other organs, and it is not rare to have gall bladder (in particular) surgery after another surgery. Have you found this to be true?

Thanks
Meewee
 
Wow---you have been through the ringer, haven't you?!?!

It is great, though, to read that your health issues have been resolved with your laparoptic operation---and now you may need s BI-lateral MUA.
Sorry for the long post, but I need to make a decision fairly quickly. The OS and my PT said I would be sore for about a week, but then progress quickly. Also said if he did it on a Thurs, I would be ok to go back to work on a Monday.
Do not apologize---what you wrote is tremendously helpful as well as cathartic.

My understanding is that adhesions are not caused by the lack of PT or activity---I had them in both knees after my BTKR, and I took care of them myself.

That being said, though, do not look at an MUA as a setback or a defeat---if you need an MUA in your knees so that you can move forward, it is just another little procedure that can be done to help you out. If, after the MUA's, you can move forward and improve, and become fully recovered, then it may be what you need.

I would look for another opinion, though---just to make sure.

I am not sure about progressing quickly afterwards---but if it would help you progress in recovery, then it might be worth investigating.
 
One additional note:
After hearing I had to have gall bladder surgery, many people have mentioned to me or my family that major surgery sometimes causes trauma to other organs, and it is not rare to have gall bladder (in particular) surgery after another surgery. Have you found this to be true?

I have not heard of this, but I will tag @Jamie and @Josephine to get another perspective on this.
 
I would look for another opinion, though---just to make sure.
Referee54, Thanks for the advice. Would you suggest I visit another OS for a 2nd opinion then?
 
@meewee - I'm glad to have heard from you. I just assumed (and I know what assume stands for) that all had gone well for you and you moved on with your new life as I got caught up in my own adventure in November.

I can't believe they didn't catch the gall bladder or appendix issues earlier. Sometimes our medical system has trouble seeing passed the obvious - you had major surgery and were on heavy pain meds. Gall bladder pain is the worst pain I've ever experienced, so my heart goes out to you. I can't comment on MUA but my gut feeling is, if it will get you to your original goal of a new life on new legs - get the professional opinions and if that's what's recommended - go for it! JMHO

Please keep in touch.
 
After hearing I had to have gall bladder surgery, many people have mentioned to me or my family that major surgery sometimes causes trauma to other organs, and it is not rare to have gall bladder (in particular) surgery after another surgery. Have you found this to be true?
Nice little old wives' tale! It's not true.
 
@meewee - I just wanted to touch base. I hope you have a day planned tomorrow, doing something that you love to do. Don't forget to listen for me cheering you on, on Monday. It's the start of a new life for you, and you so deserve it!
 
@Threads. Thanks so much for the support. My double MUA is scheduled for 6:00 am Monday and I am very hopeful this will help me progress to normal ROM. Tomorrow I will try to just relax and get plenty of rest.


BTKR 29 Sept 2014
 
@meewee - just saying HI! You're on your way to get those knees working now with no more complications.

Sleep well and be in touch when you feel up to it.
 
Bilateral MUA yesterday morning went well. My OS said there were many adhesions and much scar tissue which would likely have made it impossible for me to make further progress on my own. The procedure was short and I came out of recovery encouraged. The pain is definitely there but manageable with Percocet and ibuprofen. A little swelling and very sore but I am able to get around. The OS asked me to especially work on extension that afternoon. My daughter is an occupational therapist assistant and after arriving home, icing, medicating and napping, we did some gentle ROM exercises. I was very encouraged! Later in the evening, I did the same with very positive results. What a good start! Before bed I iced again and added one Benedryl tablet to the Percocet and actually slept 4 hours straight! Woke up briefly for ibuprofen and slept another 3 hours. Best night's sleep yet. I am sore this morning but not unbearable.
I have PT this afternoon and look forward to slow and steady progress.
Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement. I think for me, MUA was the correct route to take in this adventure.



BTKR 29 Sept 2014
 
I'm glad your experience is positive so far. Keep up those sleeps. :)
 
Thinking of you @meewee - hope you are having a good night's sleep and will have a day of tiny steps forward tomorrow.
 
I'm glad the MUA seems to have worked for you. Remember now to exercise gently and treat those knees with kindness, because they have been re-injured a bit. You may even lose a bit of ROM for a while, but it will come back.
 
I'm doing better every day. ROM has improved and I'm in less pain and getting better sleep so maybe this is the start of my complete recovery. I'm being patient and consistent with gentle exercises, stretches, and workouts at home and at PT. Thanks for all the encouragement! I think we're all looking forward to enjoying activities without the "knee factor". This forum is truly a gold mine of information and support. :loveshwr:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom