Bilateral TKR Meewee's New Knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
@meewee - I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you in rehab! You've already made it past the one week mark :yes!:. I'm cheering you on and keep up that positive attitude,
 
Post op day 11. I'm doing better with each day. I was struggling with the side effects of all the pain pills. The constipation and back pain were intense and it was exhausting and discouraging. The rehab personnel were very good at giving me meds to help and finally yesterday afternoon things improved. They've removed my two 12 hour OxyContin automatic doses and I've had to remember to ask for the pain meds which has been a bit difficult to get straight. I still haven't be able to get on my tablet but will soon and intend to update more this weekend. OT is actually very helpful and enjoyable. PT is good except for one or two who are purely number oriented. I've been assertive and made progress when I could. I've been to 6-7 extension and 79-87 extension on both legs, with them taking turns with best and worst :) walking ok using walker and just today with wrist crutches. This is so tough but when I stand or walk my knees do feel strong and stable.
I'll hopefully be less fuzzy tomorrow and will check recent posts. Thanks, forum community for your support and information.
Meewee


BTKR 29 Sept 2014
 
Great to hear from you and read about your improvements @meewee. It's been a tough week for you but no one promised us a walk in the park :console2:. Just think, you'll be at 6 weeks and steadily on the road to improvement when I start my journey. I like the thought of being able to say what you just wrote - "but when I stand or walk my knees feel strong and stable", it must feel just great.
 
Sounds like rehab is going well for you. After surgery I had trouble asking for pain meds- my brain just could not remember that. I had a really sweet nurse who would point to my white board and remind me of the "as needed" meds that were available- they're not allowed to recommend, but can remind. Medical facility rules can make life so difficult for patients.
I went shoe shopping today and was amazed at how good my legs felt. Without bowlegs, shoes actually fit differently than they did before, and I can feel the difference when I'm walking. Life will be so much better for us before we know it!
 
MeeWee, your post reminded me of how "not fun" the first few weeks are, but it'll change quickly

Pretty soon the crutches will not be as much for support as they will be for reassurance when you're frightened that you can't walk without assistance. Not yet, but soon

I'm now at +15 after BTKR, and winding down outpatient rehab,which was very valuable. Friday was a big day, they taught me how to get down, and off, the floor without using anything for support. No chair to lean on, just by myself in the middle of the floor. I was certain that wasn't possible, but it's just one more thing that I can do now that I couldn't be before surgery

If you're down in the dumps, so was I at +11 days. But you'll turn the corner soon, walk without assistance, even walk the dreaded steps, get in/out of the car without pain, even drive. And after about 4 weeks (for me) every week had huge improvements

And I know the PT concentration on numbers is not enjoyable, but the 'science' of walking was explained to me in terms of flexion percents. And while I don't remember the exact numbers, they know that at a certain percent you can walk somewhat smoothly, and a different percent you can walk down steps, at another you can bend your knee enough to comfortably pick something off the floor. My rehab folks also stresses numbers, but until it was explained to me that numbers translated into the ability to perform, it didn't make sense.

Good luck, joe
 
@meewee Welcome to the other side. Sorry you had a rough start. Staying positive will help with your recovery and you can do this. Kudo's to you for doing both I was chicken in 9 days I get my other one done. Take care and best of luck with therapy and staying ahead of the pain
 
MeeWee, this is great news. I set a timer on my phone to remind me to take medications. (an old fashioned alarm clock would work, too. I'm always counting on my fingers and my husband would say, "Take the darn medicine!)* You don't want to play "catch up" with pain meds.

*This is a bit over the top, but remember my husband works in substance abuse. I set up a spread sheet and would email myself the times I took narcotics. I wanted a record to give to the orthopedic surgeon, if he asked. (And my husband.) OS never did and just mailed me a script.
 
Hi @meewee, I just happened upon your thread and see that you recently had bilateral TKR. I wanted to say good for you Yeah!! I give you guys who have both done a big pat on the back. Hope you are feeling better and stronger each day. Take good care of yourself. Ice, pain meds, rest, and elevation. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Thanks everyone for the great advice and support. I'm scheduled to go home from rehab in a few days and look forward to bring able to use the tablet for easier communication than this iPhone. My mind is still a bit fuzzy from the meds but I feel fortunate and blessed to have all this technology.

Continued improvement - walking with forearm crutches probably 300 ft, stairs with and without crutches. Going down was very scary with one of my new knees more cowardly than the other. I feel a lot of improvement in PT and also the OT is very helpful.
I continue wearing the TED hose all but 2-3 resting hours a day. Usually they are ok (and totally stylish) but I had a pair on yesterday that were extremely painful so I won't use that size/brand again! Did most of you wear them? For how long?

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Fall colors are gorgeous here and the air is crisp. Even with the tough nature of knee replacement, I am glad to have traded the chronic intense worsening pain for the intense recovery "improving" pain. Warmest regards to all.



BTKR 29 Sept 2014
 
@meewee yep had to wear the ted hose. I go to the os tomorrow and hoping he will say I don't need them anymore.
You are doing a great job in your recovery. I look forward to your posts on how you are doing. I'm 2 weeks post op. So far it's been ok. Ups and downs in any recovery. I still don't remember a lot of what went on at the hospital. Those meds kept me pretty out of it at times.
Have a great day!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@meewee - you are doing great!!! Wow, such a positive report and attitude. You haven't been in rehab very long and you are almost ready to go home. :yes!: It's the stairs that impress me.
 
I wore Ted hose for awhile. My doc has a "don't wear them overnight" protocol that I didn't even know about until I was just about done with them. I think I stopped wearing them when I stopped the Lovenox shots. He then has you take two full dose aspirin for four weeks.
 
Hi Everyone! I still can't access the button to change the title on this recovery thread, so if one of you folks will change it to "Meewee's new knees" that would be great.
Update, I'm at 20 days post surgery and got home from rehab last Weds. Thanks for all the hints on transitioning home! I have a pretty good set up and can honestly say i would do it again. The pain was crazy but the Meds do their job if I kept on top of it. I'm glad I had my daughter there often (even overnight a few times) to advocate for me when I couldn't think clearly. The nurses were good to say what I could ask for in addition to the scheduled meds, so that really helped. When I got home my daughter made a chart for meds with check boxes. She put my scheduled meds in those weekly am/pm sectional containers, and the as needed pain meds have their own chart with space to write down day and time. It is on an actual clipboard so it is easy to access, read, and keep track of exactly what I'm taking. I'm a numbers person and it has been incredibly helpful.
I have home PT 3x a week and I really like their system so far. They say I'm on track for extension and flexion.
I can walk comfortably with the forearm crutches and can pretty much take care of my personal needs; dressing, showering, etc. Wonderful and patient hubby has fixed simple meals, run errands, and refilled the ice machine. By the way, I agree with all of you that ICE is your best friend! I love the double ice hoses and we use 3-4 small bottles of frozen water instead of ice cubes. I also like to trade off and use four flexible ice packs (2 on each knee) as I can move them around easily to the hot spots.
I went to the OS for my three week follow up. It was only about a 30 minute ride so not too uncomfortable. It was weird to walk into his waiting room as a post op person and other than being super-protective of my space - (translated...terrified someone would bump into me) I felt good. The PA removed the last of the silver tape and my stitches looked very good. Still have to wear TED hose until next post op visit at 6 weeks.
Sorry this is so long. I'll nap awhile, then be back to catch up on forum news. Thanks for your concern, hints, and encouragement.
Meewee
weeks.


BTKR 29 Sept 2014
 
@meewee Sounds like you are well on your way to an uneventful recovery...the very best kind! Best wishes that all continues moving forward so smoothly. As @Threads says, very inspirational for those of us that are coming up fairly close behind you! Hope you have a restful evening.
 
@meewee
Great post!! Wonderful news. So happy to hear your recovery is moving right along!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom