Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mechanical feeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My knee feels better than "normal" since normal was so bad! I never think of it as mechanical. While it was healing I noticed every little strange pain or click, but now I never think of it as mechanical. I have a little residual numbness to the skin but some degree of feeling came back to most of the area.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Mechanical feeling?
As far as I'm concerned both my knees are "normal" and not mechanical. I have numb areas on both---but am unaware of them unless I rub the areas or scratch them. I will never like kneeling on them, but I can if I need to (I try to have a memory foam cushion with me). I don't think I liked kneeling on them a lot before they were replaced. And as for being "stiff", I'm going on 71---so stiff seems pretty "normal" to me after being in any position for any fairly long period of time.

Your new knees are not the knees of your youth when they functioned as God intended them to, but they are far, far better than the ones that were replaced---and in time you'll come to appreciate them and maybe even forget that they are metal and plastic.
 
1ELISEA, if I pay attention to it/them I can occasionally feel the mechanics of the knee working - kind of a clunking mechanical feel. But the feeling lessens as the days go by and as the surrounding muscles and tissues get back to their "normal". And (I think most importantly) as I forget about my knees and just go about daily living I don't notice it so much. So to answer your question, the feeling is definitely there, for how long I have no idea. But the more I'm able to live normally, the less I notice it so it's somewhat psychological as well.
 
I just posted my experience about my attitude and acceptance that my new knees are actually mine - but that's not cause they feel like that, Josephine. Lucky you, or maybe we will all catch up but no way do mine 'feel' like they are mine!
 
I still wish someone would explain what "mechanically feeling" means?? Is it something psychological or physical? :what:
It's physical. Mine is a soft pop or muffled clunk when bending. This is more obvious now that time has passed and the swelling is gone. It only clunk/pops when I bend, not when I straighten back out. Both my knees still have the "movie sign". No improvement on the stiffness since TKR. Still worth it!
 
I still wish someone would explain what "mechanically feeling" means?? Is it something psychological or physical? :what:

Not psychological at all. It is hard to put it in words. After seeing others comments, maybe this feeling is the incision feeling like it doesn't stretch like normal skin. My knee feels really heavy or something. Good to see others comments. Maybe I'm far enough along to do the other knee but not far along to feel normal yet.
 
@Florida 1
@danendeb
@Brownie51

Thank you so much for explaining! Understand a bit better now.

I've never had the clicking or popping. And the feeling has completely returned to my knee and surrounding area.

The only time I ever got grossed out thinking about it was when a PT told me he could feel the edge of the implant as he was working on it. I didn't want to hear anything more about it.

It does feel weird to kneel, not cushiony and with a slight give of the surrounding tissue like my normal, non TKR knee. But it doesn't strike me that is mechanical. Interesting hearing your descriptions.
 
That is interesting about the "not stretching". I agree. But that is separate from my clunk/softpop. I think I have a one man band in my knee.
Hey can't believe the Rolling Stones are coming to town here. Wish I had looked into tickets! sigh
 
@Florida 1
@danendeb
@Brownie51

The only time I ever got grossed out thinking about it was when a PT told me he could feel the edge of the implant as he was working on it. I didn't want to hear anything more about it.

Hooboy, that reminds me! My earliest fears of falling, and what kept me off a bicycle outdoors for longer than I care to admit, was the fear of seeing the implant poking through the skin if I fell... And I'll apologize now for anyone traumatized with that thought!
 
I so do NOT agree! My knee is no different in feeling than my natural knee was before it went kaput! I have no sense of anything abnormal.



And the stiff feeling is just where the surgeon made the incision and pulled muscles apart. THAT part is the scar line (nothing to do with adhesions!) and will always be a little cardboardlike in that it will never be a natural, pliant line of tissue. It can be an effusion but that's fairly rare at this stage. It being the scar line is much more common.

As for the numb area, I recorded mine for posterity in the mistaken expectation that eventually it would all go away - no such luck! Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?.
Josephine...I so enjoy your posts...you are so informative and so interesting...and you give out such a positive attitude..keep up the good work..you are a blessing for all us! :yay:
 
. Both my knees still have the "movie sign". No improvement on the stiffness since TKR. Still worth it!
I still get that sometimes if I've been sitting a long time or have been sleeping with my knees bent for a long time. :scratch:
 
I really think those with one replacement and one original have more of this comparison issue. Since both mine were done so close together (5 weeks), I've fully adjusted to the "new normal". I think, in time, you will too. I can't really remember what the original equipment felt like now, and I'm totally happy with the new-normal.

Hang in there.
-Chris
 
I really think those with one replacement and one original have more of this comparison issue. Since both mine were done so close together (5 weeks), I've fully adjusted to the "new normal". I think, in time, you will too. I can't really remember what the original equipment felt like now, and I'm totally happy with the new-normal.

Hang in there.
-Chris

That is encouraging Chris as I sit here having my pity party. I'm so tired of my knees dictating everything about my whole life.
 
For some, the numbness is permanent. But many of us get most of the feeling back. I'm stil not 100% back, but mostly I don't notice it anymore. I am 2 and a half years post...
 
I am about 4m post op and the numbness which was a very small area is just about gone. As we often say, we are all different
 
I got my legs waxed last night and she could have poured hot wax on my right knee! No pain there... so there is one little advantage if you are one of those who have numbness :yes!:
 
I am about 4m post op and the numbness which was a very small area is just about gone. As we often say, we are all different

Funny thing, my numbness is getting less and less but when I scratch the inside of my knee, I feel it on the outside. Very strange.
 
New doc confirmed that the numb area we get is permanent.


Brownie51. Some of us get some or all of the feeling back. It is kind of a shot in the dark though. I was very, very lucky to get all the feeling back in my right knee..no numb areas at all.

BUT, and it is a big one, that doesn't mean I will get all the feeling back when I have my left one done.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom