Guest viewing is limited

TKR MB's road to recovery - 7th month update

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear of your pain. I can relate to the swelling. I'm 5 1/2 weeks out and still very swollen. I"m now doing what everyone at bonesmart has been telling me....ice ice ice then ice some more. :) Very good luck with your recovery and hope you manage to get your meds filled. :flwrysmile:
 
It's been almost 7 months since my LTKR and the knee is slowly improving, although it still is not where I would like it to be. I still have a rather large numb area, less dense but still there. I can actually wear tighter pants now but jeans are still a no go as they don't have much give. My main complaint is that I still feel as if I have a basketball on my knee - it doesn't look swollen but feels it. it doesn't stop me from doing anything. I can shop for 3 hours, being on my feet continuously, my knee will feel stiff towards the end but it still has easy flexion. I can do the stairs without holding on, altho I do hold on for safety's sake. Kneeling gingerly with a pad under the knee is possible, which is important to me as I like to paint when I redecorate - and most of my family uses me to help them out. I use the gym fairly regularly, my quads still need lots of strengthening but I'm going slow & easy with them. There really isn't anything I can't do, I just wish that nagging full feeling would leave.

I saw my OS last week and he was real pleased with where I was at. He told me he would consider me a complete success story if I hadn't told him how my knee felt. I've gained flexion & it comes quite easily now, he said my gait was perfect. When he felt around the knee he said I still had some fluid in the tissues, and that he wasn't surprised given my very strong inflammatory response. And parts of the upper incision line were still purplish which he said was an indication there was still some inflammation present. And then he said "remember it can take up to a year for a full recovery". I had bet my husband he would say that to me at least once & I was right on the money. I know that, but really was hoping that for once in my life I would have a faster recovery!

The only thing really holding me back is my right, un-operated knee. This rehab has really taken its toll and I have quite a bit of pain - mostly bone on bone - which I really didn't have with the other knee, which had significant flexion issues instead. And my OS again told me I would need to have the knee done sooner rather than later. And then he reminded me he was booking out 5-6 months for surgery so to get on the books in May, 2015 I would need to schedule it now. Psychologically a really bad move for me as I don't yet have enough amnesia about my recovery. I have to go into this with the headset of I can cancel if my knee stays stable. No way around it - this is a very tough surgery - and as no 2 knees are alike, I'm hoping I got the not so easy knee done 1st and the next one will be much easier!
 
Thank you very much for the update! I am sorry to read of your right knee---it sounds like it feels left out and wants attention.

This recovery gig does take longer than we would like it to---I understand how you feel---eight months for me before I felt close to being fully recovered---basically a year before I actually did!
And my OS again told me I would need to have the knee done sooner rather than later.
Time to start looking ahead, I guess!
I'm hoping I got the not so easy knee done 1st and the next one will be much easier!
That is the attitude!
 
Hi Mary Beth, @dtmbf
Thanks for your post, I am 5 months out after RTKR and I feel good most of the time except for the bend. I decided after MUA to let it be as the kids say
"It is what it is"... and from reading many said it improves as we go. I love the strength and also can shop feeling much better than before.

I'm gonna do my right shoulder next, Feb, since there are bone spurs and with this recovery my shoulder has had to push me up more than usual. Then will do left knee before my surgeon retires. I am older than you but don't forget better to get the other knee over before we get too old. I was able to stay in a Retirement home for a week after my surgery which was A+++ and it was like a hotel. Single room and I stayed to myself, crocheted and let myself heal. My friends came to visit and wanted to stay instead of going home to do Mom stuff. ha ha.

So hang in there and yes the second should be easier. Maybe mine will have better bend.

Cheers,
Betsy
 
It sounds like you may need a couple of months more for the knee to completely heal. But it's great that you can do so much with it.
I think my 2nd knee was the easier in part b/c I didn't wait too long. of course it does seem to be a bit of a craps shoot as to whether one knee or the other will be easier or the same.
 
@referee54, @kneeper - Well. I did it - not that I really wanted to but... My RTKR is scheduled for May 18, 2015, almost 1 year to the date of my LTKR. And it was the ONLY date he had open in May, so I'm glad I called when I did. I must admit I have the headset of I can always cancel if I want to but I really think my knee is telling me otherwise. I'm just hoping the left continues to progress so I can rehab the right. At least now I know what I'm getting into, and altho I was pretty prepared before, I can be a tad bit wiser with my expectations.
 
Hi Mary Beth! Thank you for this very encouraging update. I think I also have a strong inflammatory response and I feel the same way about jeans- since surgery my pants must be either stretchy, soft & loose, or shorts. Lately I've been "windows shopping" online for dresses. A new beau wants to take me out and...um, yeah. What to wear?
 
Hi @dtmbf

Hi Mary Beth

I just wanted to say well done in being so brave and booking in to get the next knee replaced. I know exactly where you're coming from when you mentioned about the lack of amnesia in surgery xxx I'm sure that you will be fine xxx

I see my OS at the end of January. He told me last October my other knee had gone, after a previous hospital had told me they'd see me six months after the X-ray in Feb and if no deterioration they'd try to save it. When this OS looked at my X-ray from February he said he couldn't understand why they'd said that because there was nothing to save. Well I cried and told him I couldn't face another TKR. He showed me and my husband the X-rays and sure enough there was tricompartmental osteoarthritis, arthritis of the patella and no synovial fluid behind the knee cap. I ended up with a revision in September, on my TKR, which really helped me. I'm having hydrotherapy at the moment for both knees.

Anyway i do think you're immensely brave in making that decision. It will improve your life I'm sure. That's what I keep thinking about mine, trying to be positive xxx thanks ever so much for sharing this, as anyone who has to consider a 2nd knee done will find your posts in your thread valuable when making the decision. Thank you x

Love Nana moon 27 (Ann) xxxx
 
You had a very difficult decision to schedule your second TKR and were very brave to do so. You are right now you are better prepared knowing what is entailed in this long journey to recovery. Iam still very early 10 weeks and dread the thought of having the other knee replaced one day. It's hard taking so much time out of our lives to recuperate but just being able to walk without pain is a blessing. I will be thinking about you and hope you feel better soon.
 
9 months out from my LTKR and still counting. I'm doing great in some areas & not so great in others. The great part is that I can do just about anything I need or want to do within the limitations my right un-operated knee. And that's a win in my book.

I'm still quite stiff when I get up in the morning or after prolonged sitting but that works itself out after moving about for a bit. My ONLY real complaint is that my TKR knee still feels very full and heavy - no pain associated with this feeling - but I am pretty constantly aware of that knee. When I initially bend it, I still feel like I'm stretching out all the soft tissue under my skin. My flexion, if anything, has improved so the sensations I have do not translate into loss of function. I spent January in warm, dry Arizona & the knee gradually felt more normal. But then I came back to the cold & massive snow in New England & it's back to feeling heavy and full. No one seems to have any idea of why I feel this way. I'm thinking of calling my OS or PCP & asking for a script for Gabapentin or Amitriptyline - I'm still very numb over a large area on the outside of my knee and I'm wondering if that plays a role. I'm just tired of this weird feeling & really don't want to live the rest of my life with it.

And having said that, I'm still going back for more - I'm just glad I scheduled my RTKR for May as that knee has taken a beating with the rehab etc & is slowly going downhill. Mild discomfort, some loss of flexion, moderate stiffness, and the worst - the crunch of the bone on bone. So even tho my left knee isn't where I would like it to be, it is still better than it was & I can essentially do practically everything I want to do. So I'm no poster child but I'm still in a better place than I was pre-op.
 
Hi @dtmbf

How lovely to hear from you. Thanks for the update it always helps everyone good recovery, bad recovery, some in between. Mine went right just the last few weeks but remembering I had a revision in September.

Like you I'm am scheduled to have my left knee done within the next few months. I'm so wary of having this done but I have no other options. The joints completely rotten and has gone bone on bone at the back. There is no cartilage or fluid behind the knee cap. I'm looking at it from the point of view that I will be rid of the arthritic pain, be able to drive and get my life back x

Please stay in touch. Love Nana moon 27
 
I think some of what you're feeling can be associated with the numbness. It can take quite a while for that to disappear and sometimes some numb feelings remain. You'll just need to give it more time. Please try not to worry about the feelings your having with your knee. I actually think it will resolve itself once you are stronger, the weather is warmer and you become more active.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom