Guest viewing is limited

TKR MB's road to recovery - 7th month update

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another week I'll be at 4 months. I still have that hard / numb area in the same place on my right knee that you describe on your left, on the lateral / outside part of the knee. In the last 3-4 weeks my swelling has gone down appreciably. Before that I am sure it was subsiding but it just wasn't as noticeable to me. Along with the reduced swelling is a reduction in the stiffness. I do get a little "pinch" of pain in that same are of the knee when I walk down steps or down slopes on the golf course sometimes but even that is getting better with time. In fact now I do things without thinking then look back amazed that I didn't feel any discomfort at all!

My OS always reminds me that full recovery is one year. AT 8 weeks you are just over 15% of the way there. Some may get to certain waypoints faster than others but in the end we all end up in the same place. You are doing better than you give yourself credit.
 
Many thanks for helping me regain my sanity. I really do know I'm doing better than even 2 weeks ago, but at times I'm just so "over" this entire experience. @Phil75070 thanks for the reassurance on that hard spot - I've read a bazillion posts & couldn't find any mention of anyone else having it. At least I know I'm not special!

I'm done with home based PT as of today and go to outpatient next Wed. I'm also starting with the pool based exercises on Mon. I also made an appointment with my PCP. I have never had high blood pressure until now. I woke up from the OR quite high & it's continued for 8 weeks. At 1st I thought it was from pain & yes, agitation, but enough is enough. Gotta get it checked out, even if only for the short term. They surgery seems to have affected more than just my knee!
 
I'm now at 9 1/2 weeks and beginning to believe my knee really is improving! I'm using this forum to "journal" my recovery, so when I have my right knee done I can look back - even tho I know no 2 knees are alike, my emotional state might be consistent.

So my left knee is still numb in the bottom outside quadrant - but less dense & the fat pad that was swollen so much you felt like it was a rock has softened up considerably. From my perspective, everything is just a little bit easier - doing the stairs, walking, even flexing. Still feels like I'm ripping layers of tissue under my skin when I bend, that doesn't hurt - just very weird feeling.

I started outpatient PT this week - but I'm not sure how long I will go. I get the distinct impression they do not embrace the BoneSmart beliefs and I'm not going to screw around with those. I asked her to measure my flexion in 1 position and she refused - said she only measure flexion one way. First clue! I then told her not to bother telling me any of the numbers cuz I had no real frame of reference. Should have seen the look on her face! I really didn't do much as it was the initial eval but I did ride the bike for 10 minutes (less knee bend than at home) and used the foot press machine with low weight. Felt fine with both of those & then later my right knee (the "other" knee) started bothering me. But the pain ws gone by the next day. I think I'm going to have a problem as the rehab amps up. She finished off with ice & electrical stimulation. I never heard of using that before - does anyone have any experience? She said its not a TENS and would help with decreasing the swelling - which does seem to have gone down.

Then I also got into the pool - 20 minutes day 1 and 30 minutes day 2 - only did light standing exercise - walking, marching, small flutter kicks etc. Spent a lot of time talking to folks so I made sure I wasn't at all aggressive with the exercises. I liked it and feel it has helped.

Today my right knee is a huge problem - pain in the back of the knee with walking and I feel like its going to give out (never had that before - ever) so I'm back to dragging the cane with me. I'm hoping rest & ice will work their magic - the thought of another TKR so soon nauseates me. I think as my left knee improved my gait was off as I was having some pain in my right thigh and hip related to walking. So I really focused on my gait, heel-toe, bend both knees etc. but that didn't seem to make a difference today. So like I said - it's the sofa & ice for me and laying off any exercising.

So - in summary, the left knee is improving, the right knee is now concerning me. Does this ever get easier?
 
@dtmbf Hi Mary Beth! I hope you will report back on the electrical stimulation for the pain/swelling. My doctor has already provided me with a unit to do this myself even though I'm still pre-op. Currently I am using it to build strength and stamina in my quad muscle.

I'm sorry about your other knee :( Maybe it's just tired from picking up the slack for your left knee? Last year I blew the meniscus in my right knee and about the time it was finally getting better my left knee swelled up and rebelled from overuse. Mine also hurt at the back of my knee. I already know I have to have both mine done. Dreading it but looking forward to one day walking pain free! Hang in there!
 
I had the electrical stimulation along with super icing and my swelling did go down by the end of the session. She measured before and after.
 
I too get the electrical stim and ice at the end of PT sessions, and find it helps to reduce my discomfort temporarily. Not sure if it helps with swelling, since they don't measure that.
 
I'm at 10 weeks & have a bit of a set back. I went for my 2nd outpatient PT treatment& have a swollen, painful knee. However, I must admit, it's not their fault. Most of what I did there, I did at home with the exception of the foot press machine. What did me in was doing a wall squat with a ball. I had been doing squats at home hanging onto the sink so I didn't think it was any big deal. Well it was! I went down too quickly and too far & knew I had screwed up. Using the ball & wall must have changed my angle of the squat, and I immediately felt pain. Pulled back but too late. So I'm on regular ice again, and taking it easy. It's better today than yesterday, so I'm sure this too shall pass.

Other than that moment of idiocy, knee is moving verrrry slowly along the recovery path. A little more flexion, a little less swelling and stiffness. I had a Tens unit so I decided to try it on the knee. They use "e stim" on my knee at PT & I can't figure out the difference between the 2 so why not give it a go? Here's hoping once I get the swelling under control again I get back on track. I'm traveling out west in 4 weeks so I'm hoping I'll have a little easier mobility - but to be safe I booked bigger seats and ordered a wheelchair for the airport. Anyone travel 3 1/2 months post op?
 
Did you just bend too far--kind of like a diy MUA? (Many of us have done similar things). You have probably stretched things and will be a bit sore but haven't hurt the implant.

Ice, elevate, pain meds and gentle movement so you don't stiffen up is probably the thing to do for a couple of days. the tens may help, though I don't really know much about that. I know they use estim on me at therapy sometimes and it is set up to work a bit differently than tens to help with swelling. :scratch:

Keep us posted.
 
@kneeper - Yup - my own personal MUA and it didn't cost me a cent! I went back to PT today even tho I swore I wouldn't and he really did a nice job - lots of time massaging so that by the time I got off the table I felt like I could actually do some exercising. Only thing that really bothered me is that he was doing a quad stretch with me laying on my stomach & he tells me my flexion isn't that good - only at 90 - 95 and I "should" be at 130. So I immediately tell him I'll never get to 130 cuz I only got to 125 in the OR and that my OS expects 120 at best. Then I had to tell him my knee was swollen again (duh!) and that I had measured at 116 my last visit with the VNA PT. I have never had good "numbers" doing a heel slide or quad stretch, I guard my hamstrings way too much. However, if I'm sitting, or on a bike I get good flexion - does that sound weird?

And BTW, I do think the Tens helped with the pain as today was the 1st day I have been totally pain free in one area of my knee that has never been without pain when I push off with my operated leg. I'm keeping up with it - I'm not going to hurt anything at least.

@gr82cu2 - I've used the e stim 3 times now and I can't really tell any difference in the swelling. The PT agency applies it to practically everyone who walks thru the door, with all sorts of injuries/surgeries, so I'm thinking it's something they can bill for separately. I asked about any studies re: the effectiveness of e stim & got blank stares.
 
@dtmbf
Hi Mary Beth,

Sounds like you are having some ups and downs through your recovery. When are you going for the surgery on your right knee? I had eight weeks between mine and I am at 3 weeks on the second one now. I don't think a lot of the first one though I keep up with the exercises and wish I had better flexion. I also have that hard steel plate feel on my first TKR. I think I have too much swelling on the most recent one to feel it.

I purchased a TENS machine from Costco a couple of weeks ago and I do like the relief I am getting from it. My son is using it on his Sciatica too so it was money well spent.

Keep up the good work and have a great weekend!
 
@71Beetle - Good Morning! I'm not getting my right knee done till I've developed some amnesia about the left knee! And that hasn't happened yet... And I know I'm not through my recovery yet. My flexion still has a few degrees to go but it's getting there slowly, regardless of what PT says. It's the numbness on the left side of my knee that's a real problem for me. It's a pretty big area & I really feel a lot of resistance from it when I try to flex. I need to get back in the pool cuz I really think it helps. I'm doing normal "stuff" way easier now. I also haven't run the risk of the ODIC cuz I don't have to go back to work so I'm in no hurry. It will come.

So I'm hoping I can hold out till next April for my right knee. For all I know once my left gets a little stronger maybe my right will start behaving!
 
@71Beetle - I forgot to say I cannot fathom having my right knee done at 8 weeks. You are waaaay braver than I am. Enjoy your weekend!
 
PT today even tho I swore I wouldn't and he really did a nice job - lots of time massaging so that by the time I got off the table I felt like I could actually do some exercising.
Good!
I have never had good "numbers" doing a heel slide or quad stretch, I guard my hamstrings way too much. However, if I'm sitting, or on a bike I get good flexion - does that sound weird?
Makes sense to me. I seem to get slightly different measurements depending on how they measure.

One thing the pt had me do once was to do the flex while laying on my stomach and use my old gait belt from the hospital to hold it in place. Supposedly then you relax the hamstring and your knee gets used to the stretch. I haven't tried it much but it has a certain logic.


@gr82cu2 - I've used the e stim 3 times now and I can't really tell any difference in the swelling. The PT agency applies it to practically everyone who walks thru the door, with all sorts of injuries/surgeries, so I'm thinking it's something they can bill for separately. I asked about any studies re: the effectiveness of e stim & got blank stares.
I wonder about the billing too...
 
@71Beetle - Good Morning! I'm not getting my right knee done till I've developed some amnesia about the left knee! And that hasn't happened yet... And I know I'm not through my recovery yet. My flexion still has a few degrees to go but it's getting there slowly, regardless of what PT says. It's the numbness on the left side of my knee that's a real problem for me. It's a pretty big area & I really feel a lot of resistance from it when I try to flex. I need to get back in the pool cuz I really think it helps. I'm doing normal "stuff" way easier now. I also haven't run the risk of the ODIC cuz I don't have to go back to work so I'm in no hurry. It will come.

So I'm hoping I can hold out till next April for my right knee. For all I know once my left gets a little stronger maybe my right will start behaving!
Yes, a level of amnesia helps!:heehee:

I'm not sure that the numbness relates to flexion :scratch:
 
Amnesia would have helped for sure. The problem with me is that this one has been more difficult than the last. If I had amnesia, I would not be comparing every step of the way.

Good to hear that you are doing so well.

Enjoy your day!
 
Hi, I'm all for Amnesia...it's a nice place to be....now where was that?......blooming amnesia..... Lol :heehee:

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@dtmbf. I'm at the 6 month mark. When I was at physical therapy after surgery they told me how to do squats and to do 10 rest 10 again. My reply was I never did squats before and I have no intention of starting now!! Didn't go over too well with the therapists


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Week 11 today and I'm pretty much the same with minor variations. My self imposed MUA had me down for about 5 days and has resulted in some pretty consistent swelling of the knee. You can actually see the round circle of swelling around the kneecap. I have a sheet of ice I bought at PT that I lay over my knee. It has a thick royal blue cover on it & when I put it on my knee it frosts over - I'm sure due to the humidity in New England. What's really funny is that the 1st area of frost to melt is that circle of swelling. Clearly my knee is still hot & bothered.

I am surprised to say PT is actually going OK. There's a steady progression of exercises, focused on quad strength & flexion as I'm not really where I want to be and I do still have some give in my knee - no hard stop yet. I do believe it's helping.

Other than that scintillating observation, I probably do have improvement but it's hard to tell. Things do seem to be a bit easier to do, but I really can't quantify that yet. I still have that pain to the right (medial side) of my kneecap whenever I push off on my operated knee like when I do reciprocal steps. It's only for the moment of push off, but I really do hesitate cuz I know it's coming. I started going to the gym a couple of days a week to work the upper body which has turned to total flab - it will take me months to get back in shape. My biggest worry right now is that I'm traveling out West in 3 1/2 weeks & I cannot stand to have anything touching my knee so I've bought the maxi dresses & skirts but I have to go to a rodeo 2 nights and there you "have" to be in jeans. I'm looking for a denim skirt I can wear with my cowboy boots so I won't be too out of place. I guess this is progress now that I think of it - I haven't given a hoot about what I wear till now.

So right now I'm sticking to slow and steady - not that I have much of a choice! Oh, and I finally figured out how to post my picture - somehow I think the change in the website must have helped me out cuz I failed every other time I tried!
 
Hi Mary Beth,
Sounds like you are doing pretty well considering your self-imposed MUA.
Good idea to stick with the slow and steady.
It is unfortunate that you are having the issue with anything touching your knee. Can you put a tensor bandage around it or gauze so you are not bothered as much? I have seen threads where people have mentioned saran wrap but I would worry about the heat and the concern of bacteria. Hopefully it will have subsided in the time between now and your trip.
Where are you headed for the stampede? My sister lives in Calgary Alberta so we took the boys to the Stampede there a few years ago. Lots of fun!
Hope everything continues to go well.
 
@71Beetle we're headed to Idaho & the Twin Fall County Fair. My husband grew up there & showed his cattle & sheep at the county fair when he was growing up. His whole family comes from all over so it's also a semi family reunion. It's a PCRA rodeo so the livestock & cowboys are top notch. I'm not a real lover of the fair but the rodeo is my absolute favorite.

I'm hoping some of the knee sensitivity lessens. I did try an ace bandage which I can actually tolerate but it's just too bulky under the jeans. I could buy a pair with wider legs or go with the denim skirt. Decisions, decisions! At least I know not to get my other knee done during the cold weather....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom