THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

@ahipgma I went to my GP and told him I kept hearing a Welsh man sing - he said I had 'Tom Jones syndrome' I asked if it was a rare syndrome and he said ...... Wait for it..... "It's not unusual" :heehee::loll::heehee:
I'd love to go to New York - my eldest daughter went by herself for her 30th birthday 2 years ago ! Alas I couldn't go with her as walking was a nightmare and I used to be anxious about flying! Now I'm not anxious about flying cos I survived hip surgery!!! We face timed all the time so I had a real vicarious holiday with her :SUNsmile:
I've always wanted to go to Italy and Barcelona too ! So ladies I'm up for travelling anywhere! Just tell me where and when and what to bring and I'm in:yes!:
@ChrissyW - I can't imagine how I Would answer that careers question! I'd probably get the safe guarding team in!
I called my consultants secretary today and she said he would be seeing me on Monday next week so fingers crossed I will have some indication of the next step.
Well ladies I've just watched the Lunar eclipse and it was stunning!
I wonder if the world will be any different because of it when we wake in the morning?
Sleep well the sleepers amongst us and have a relaxing evening those who are not yet snoozy
Love and hugs :loveshwr::roseshwr::friends:

Hello my lovelies. So reading the responses re our virtual visit how about we do New York and let @ahipgma be our guide, showing us the best places . I have been to New York and just love it's vibe, as well as the shopping but that's probably just me as an obsessive shopper! I had a wonderful visit and there were Amos flurries when I was there with made looking out of the hotel window, across rooftops just so what you'd expect. Also my favourite film ever is breakfast at Tiffanys so maybe we could all be a little carefree like Holly. I think a nice roof top bar would be a nice part of the evening and perhaps we should try a couple of Manhattans (though I'm not sure what they contain). How's that sound as a plan? We'd better get planning some chic clothing ladies do we can be the talk of the town xx
Just to add the career day went fine, though my legs are jelly like at the minute and I've already had a short nap!

Hi everyone!
Will be so glad to welcome you to the US
and my favorite city!
I have arrived there by plane train bus and auto but this time I'll just meet you all there.
Let's stay at the Waldorf Astoria, which is on Park Avenue, I would stay at the Plaza but I'm not sure if they take paying guests anymore. @Mayhip8 you were so right about the walking but since this is our fantasy both old and new hips will be supporting us well, if not we'll have couple of Manhattans and we wont care.
My mother in law used to drink Manhattans and I asked to taste hers out of curiosity once. Dont know exactly what's in it but suffice it to say that the only non alcoholic part of it was the ice.
I would say we modern ladies should have a Cosmopolitan!
Tiffany's is still there, @ChrissyW right in the middle of the costliest shopping area of 5th Avenue, if you saw it when you were there, 9 blocks south of Trump Tower, built by our horses patootie of a president. Hmmm. Anyway, there is so much to see and do, bring your comfy shoes and lots of black to wear as I think New York women are like Parisian women a little in their "uniform" of black.
Where I live we'll wear the styles NY women are wearing now in about 2 years.
Today here we are still plodding along in the high 80s with intermittent rain and very high humidity, I just did my stretches but didn't walk, will have to get back to that tomorrow.
On the 21st I can start getting my preop testing done. I try not to think too much about going thru all that again, but I really wish is that I hadn't watched that video of a hip replacement:bignono::headbang:.
But thats a ways off so we'll just think of taking a bite of the Big Apple soon!
Woohoo! Sleep well my dears!
Love to all:loveshwr:

Hello lovelies. I'm hoping, wherever you are, that you are making the most of sunshine today. It wS sports day at school however I couldn't join them as it was too far to walk across fields however they enjoyed themselves with our retro sports day. Amazing that 17 year olds appreciate playing old school games including egg and spoon, three legged race, skipping contests, keepy uppies and the good old wheelbarrow race. I went to purchase chocolate prizes on my way home and tomorrow we'll have an assembly, certificates and prizes and there is a small choccie bar for everyone (so healthy but don't tell Jamie Oliver and the school dinner police!)
Ok so I better start packing for our NY trip. I have plenty of black and I do know it's quite cool to wear plimsolls with mid calf cigarette pants however I'm sure we can sneak a heel in for a night on the town? Anyone fancy catching a show? What would you prefer @Mayhip8 ?
There's a lovely little Italian in little Italy (I think it was called Fioruccis) and it makes great Italian sweet pastries, my favourite being a sfogliatella so we could call there. Had it not been Friday tomorrow I'd have suggested a nice steak at Ruth's Chris steak house as their creamed spinach and sweet potato are to die for but I don't eat meat on a Friday so if anyone can suggest somewhere that does good veggie or fish I'm in. Here's to our cocktails ladies and @ahipgma you might be right with cosmos, let's take it easy! (Although Long Island ice tea is nice. Where is Long Island by the way?)

Oh my word! I seem to have time travelled a whole week away ! but it's not as late as I thought! :unsure:
I Double checked my calendar today and realised my appointment is not for another 10 days - I thought it was on Monday next week:whistle:

I think it's the giddiness of recovery and reduction in pain relief.
Ahh well that means I'll have more time and energy to spend with you my lovely friends in New York, New York, (couldn't resist that one!)

Yesterday a good friend visited me I was telling her about our virtual holidays and mentioned New York and would you know she actually stayed at the Waldorf Astoria a couple of years back ! I saw her amazing photographs and I actually can't wait.it looks divine :dancy:

Given that I am more or less opiate free I'm sure I can partake in a cocktail or two and will be led by your recommendations:martini:

In celebration of our new hips I think it's only fair to go on a massive spending spree and can't wait to go to Tiffany's. My sister and I went to Paris one year and visited the Lafayette galleries ( I think that's what it was called) - Is it like the equivalent to our Harrods? Only this time I shall buy the perfume and not just spray all the testers :snork:

Well my boss is supposed to be ringing me shortly so I'm going to put the kettle on have a cup of tea
Ill pop back later to see how everyone is :loveshwr:

You know @ChrissyW sometimes the old games are the best ones and the young adults can still get into the joy of playing them. Twister came out when I was little girl and my kids loved it and all the games you mentioned we played at Girl Scout camp when I was a leader and water balloon toss on hot days.
Haven't played Twister in years unless you count my PT sessions post hip:loll:
So Ok the Waldorf it is and definitely a Broadway show. Of course "Hamilton" is the big ticket and almost impossible to get but it's our virtual trip so we were able to get tickets!
There are some to die for bakeries in Manhattan-- we can go to Magnolia Bakery a la Sex and the City.
Do you keep Fridays because of no meat Catholic restrictions Chrissy?
There is Ed's Lobster house that has yummy seafood there are so, so many restaurants to pick from. Charcoal oven pizza where the crust is cooked at 1500 degrees and is so good!
Shopping wise we can go to Soho, Greenwich Village, always a person of modest means I usually only window shop on Fifth Avenue, but my favorite store to shop there is Uniqlo---unique and affordable. Bergdorf Goodman is the high end store there probably closest to Harrods.
@Mayhip8 there is lot going on in your life- speaking with your boss-- is it settled how long of a leave you are taking with another hip yet to be done? Then you still need to hear from the doc about a definite date. I am done with floor nursing at 63, kids grown educated and on their own if I do any nursing it'll be a little less strenuous. It was your post about being a nurse with needing two hips done that made me hop on to your thread.
Many miles and lots of laughs and support since.:loveshwr:
What sights would you like to see in NYC?
@Calgal had you ever visited New York before you relocated?
Have a lovely rest of the day!

Last edited:
@ahipgma yes but very briefly! I spent most of my times in NY passing through JFK airport. I know lots of good places to eat there if we get stuck! We must do SOHO. How about going for some proper bagels and cream cheese? I so crave those chewy proper Jewish bagels. Over here they all seem too dough-y for my taste. @ChrissyW long Island isnt far and would be great but since it's the summer dahlings...we really must pop to the Hamptons and hob nob with the old money. They do such divine garden parties! Our queen would approve.

Dreaming of the day I can sightsee at speed again, heck do anything again for more than 15 minutes. I'm getting out and doing more but feeling really tired this week, so am enjoying our virtual trip very much. Thanks ladies!

:yahoo:@Mayhip8 my favourite department store in all the world is actually Galleries Lafayette. I decided 2 years ago to treat myself to a shirt trip on my Own to Paris during the summer hols while hubby was at work and every day I'd do a 40 min walk to the store and shop. I hunt them out wherever I am in France and found one last summer in La Rochelle . When I saw your post I got excited! Sorry:praying:
I'm ready for our trip and @Mayhip8 you may regret the comment on going on a spending spree because I'm such a shopping fan and we'll be in Macy's, Bloomingdales and we shall all have more than just breakfast at Tiffanys!
Get your glad rags ladies and be ready for rooftop cocktails tomorrow night! By the way @ahipgma do you know of a rooftop bar, must be very classy like us ladies, in NY?:good-bad:

Ok now I've calmed down about the shopping in response to the other posts lovelies yes @ahipgma it is a catholic thing. My mum never had meat on a Friday and even though I'm not an ardent practitioner of the faith I cannot eat meat knowingly on a Friday. In fact only about 2 weeks ago I'd gone in to the kitchen on a Friday, forgetting it was a Friday and Stole a couple of my husbands bacon nibbles for his salad and went in to panic mode! Did you know that bacon nibbles/crunch for salads is actually bacon free and suitable for vegetarians? Who'd have guessed but at least I could breathe a sigh of relief and leave any guilt behind!
@Calgal im all in favour of a Hamptons visit, we'd fit in perfectly and they'd be hob mobbing with us!

Soooooo
Another busy day !
After speaking with my boss and HR on conference call we agreed that I'd take the rest of July off on sick leave. Commence Annual leave until 19th August and then start a phase return from home - all of course dependant on what my consultant says on 29th July.
I'm hoping that when I'm mended I will go back to primary care and work in GP/urgent care on less unsociable hours eventually - I'll never return to ward work as I've done 35 years and am too knackered to work shifts and run around like a headless chicken !! @ahipgma it is a huge co-incidence that we are both nurses needing both hips doing ! And yes,many miles and support since - very much appreciated :thankyou:

@ ChrissyW my children were at their sports day today ( yr 8&10) - thank goodness the days of parents taking part have passed by - I usually managed to attend in the past and generally managed to avoid the races :loll:- I've been a parent for 32 years and on reflection there are only so many egg and spoon races one can partake .:yawn:
All these references to age! Sometimes I feel very young still and some days I feel time passing by..

It is my best friends husbands birthday today, he's two years older than me but sadly he has stage 4 cancer :sad:
my best friend has MS - I've not been able to visit since May for obvious reasons and so we've kept in touch via phone and messages -however today I'm so pleased I managed to be able to drive with my children to visit and spend some time with them. You know their strength and dignity have been a reminder of the fragility of health and life and though they have the most stressful of times ahead they and their family share so much love and positivity. Having hip surgery was tough and is tough and I will never undermine how stressful and worrying it was and can be, but I see things from a different perspective just now. I hope it doesn't seem crass that I've included their story on my thread - I've missed being able to be with them so much and am looking forward to being able to spend more time with them now I'm able to drive .

So lets celebrate life and opportunity and love support and friendship
I'm loving all the plans so far for sightseeing and shopping in NY - though in the real world I'm not the best shopper I do feel you could teach me how to enjoy the experience @ChrissyW :yahoo:
The restaurants and eating out sounds divine too:) :-) (: with the added bonus of no calories ! I'm happy to try anything - seafood , @Calgal bagels, pizza, vegetarian bacon bites! and defiantly breakfast at Tiffanys
I'd love to visit any theatre or musical or art gallery - is Tapestry still on? Carole kings story ? And is there a church on a Sunday morning that has a gospel choir and welcomes us all ? I'm not religious any more but I respect others and love a good uplifting hymn

I'm getting my glad rags ready Dahlings ready to mingle with the best sweeties :wowspring:
- I'm thinking I'll wear D&G,to travel in and something glamorous to meet you on that rooftop terrace - no cane or crutch will I have - just a huge smile and welcoming hug :happydance::friends::yes!:

their strength and dignity have been a reminder of the fragility of health and life
A lovely testament to your friends, and a humbling reminder to us hippies that no matter how tough our days get, at least our medical situation can be fixed. Sadly many others have conditions that can't. Bless you @Mayhip8 and wishing your friends peace and comfort on their difficult journey ahead. :prayer:

Chrissy before the age of Amazon, (from 70s on)shopping in NYC was the penultimate, Liberty of London fabric, Tower records with hard to find recordings, clothing available nowhere else. Shoes! Soaps and perfumes! Art prints, home decor!
We would have shopped till we dropped together. ( I'd better calm down about shopping too). 230 fifth avenue is where we will go. A unbelievable rooftop bar with a view of the Empire State Building.
My first Long Island Ice Tea was about 1977 they were first invented and I ordered "iced tea" at a bar and was appalled at the price. Little did I know what I was drinking. They taste just like ice tea. I went to get off the bar stool and almost fell. Same with melon balls. Oh, back in the day...
Anyway, miss @Mayhip8, it sounds like you situation is gelling nicely and you have a way forward. We lost a coworker to esophageal cancer right around when I had my hip done, she was a nurse and fought it for 4 years and left three young adult kids behind. She was 50. Its wonderful that you can be with your friends. I remember thinking our nurse friend would have given anything just to only need a hip done -- I was grateful.
That's why we cherish each day with our loved ones whether or not we walk straight thru it or limp a little!
Yes it will be a happy meeting with D& G on and blinged out grabbers in hand?
More later my lovely travelers.

Last edited:
Ok @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma if your both in D&G I expect there will be done blooms to adorn your attire. What do you think you'll be wearing @Calgal ? I fancy an all in one pantsuit so I'd better rummage through my givenchy, balmain, Valentino and Dior to see which would look nicest for a rooftop bar setting. I have some nice Louboutins with kitten heels for comfort as I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone by having to carry my shoes around! I'll pop in a pair of cool denims and a shirt so be can brunch in the morning and then we must ensure we get some Italian pastries. Shall we start the evening with cocktails (I do think I might have a couple of the iced teas), then eat and back for more cocktails or even a bottle of champagne to celebrate our achievements (which I do believe should be celebrated because it has been hard work at times)

some nice Louboutins with kitten heels f
In our dreams?! Never seen loubies without at least 6 inch stilettos! . Can I borrow them pretty please? :beg:. I agree pantsuits are a good choice. Chic but roomy enough for our tender hippies. Thank God culottes are big this year. Maybe we can do a little shopping before drinks at @ahipgma 's really good suggestions...and purchase something wearable kthat will serve as a souvenir of our outing?

@Mayhip8 ,@ChrissyW , @Calgal ,
So glad we all came here together!
Before we go to our rooftop bar we should go to Central Park.
Its everyone's back yard greenspace in NY so there are a host of things going on. Concerts in the bandshell, softball games, Shakespeare in the park,
Runners and walkers and people taking selfies everywhere, and there a few wide avenues lined with statues that were designed after parks in Paris. Years ago when I used to visit people were amazed that I would go there. Aren't you afraid of being mugged there they would say, and they were clueless. The Park has a zoo, and a lake where you can rent boats and row, and what I think we should all take a carriage ride before the bar.
As the horse clops along we can review all purchases we made and hey,isnt that ?(fill in the name of some famous person-- they live all over NY.)
At the bar we can raise a toast with a Cosmo to our fun time there and how our hips didn't hurt at all and do what I've done every time I've ever been there---- start making plans to go back. Whoops we'd better finish the dessert and go or we'll be late for our Broadway show!!
Love to all:loveshwr:

@Calgal loubies do come in various heights and he does wedges too certain seasons (I'm a massive shoe fan and have various heights, many of which I can't wear as they are too high but they are so pretty and now post surgery I am wondering his high I will ever get back too!)
Anyway, I'm ready to roll and stroll around Central Park. Are we going to hail a yellow cab or go in a horse and carriage or is our private chauffeur going to chapperone us wherever we want? I did the subway when I was in NY and ladies we are far too glam tonight to do that at any point this weekend! Ooh is that Gigi Hadid and a group of supermodels eying up our outfits? Look how jealous they are wanting to be just like us! I'm sure I spotted Chandler and Monica hanging out in that cafe we just passed.:wowspring:
I'm ready for a nice cold Long Island ice tea now and some good food, though I'm not sure what I fancy to eat. What would New Yorkers have?
:cheers::cheers2:

I'm in awe ! I feel like I am in a filmset with You my glamorous companions :egypdance:
I feel really comfortable and on trend in my New clothes @ChrissyW - I'm glad you persuaded me to buy them for the walk through Central Park followed by the horse and carriage ride . I think I just saw Barbara Striesland sitting by the bandstand ? Was it her voice we heard singing "Evergreen?"
The pre - stroll cocktail of Long Island iced tea went straight to my head and made me giddy as a school teacher on the first day of the school holidays!
@ahipgma your stories of the last time you visited The big apple are so entertaining and I can see how excited you are to return and to be able to show us round .:happydance:
@Calgal oysters and champagne sound the perfect start to celebrate out fantastic trip together :cheers:
And before we all visit the secret after dinner club later , Ive arranged a moonlit helicopter flight around Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty - fasten your seat belts ladies! The hipsisters are in town :dancy::loveshwr:

Thanks for doing that @Mayhip8!
As we spin around the city we can see the Statue and think of how she was the first thing many an immigrant saw as they came to the US with so much hope for a better life including all four of my grandparents. Over there is the Freedom Tower with its red white and blue lights,
Which replaced the World Trade Center I remember touring so long ago.
Fifth Avenue which stretches from Washington Square in Greenwich Village all the way up the island looks like a diamond necklace, especially around Broadway which at night is lit up like daylight.
Central Park is dark at night, its green space will be filled with people again come daylight. Wow theres the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Rockefeller center, and Radio City Music Hall.
In the air we can see all the boroughs, Brooklyn and the Bronx,and Queens and Long Island, where the rich drink and party in the Hamptons--- they all want to get out of Manhattan in the hot summer.
But we love it as we as we are hearing some cool jazz at our after hours club
People wonder who these beautiful women in the designer clothes are sipping our Long island Ice teas and hearing Diana Krall at the piano.
Finally in the wee hours we pull up in front of the Waldorf and wave good night to the doorman and after, we sleep soundly all night without waking up, in any position we like, no pain meds needed and only one pillow under our head ,looking forward to our breakfast at Tiffany's with the bagels from the deli that@Calgal arranged for. Oh by the way @ChrissyW , thanks for the tip about the low heeled Louboutins
I prefer them to the high-heeled Manolo Blahniks. I love New York!

Last edited:
:spin:Oh what a wonderful night. @Mayhip8 your surprise to us was amazing and listening to your memories @ahipgma , as we flew over the city lights was wonderful. I must say you were better than any tour guide I've ever met and I skyways live the humour you throw in. @Calgal my first oysters....still not sure but I must say the Dom did wash them down well! @Mayhip8 you did make me laugh after that first Long Island iced tea, in fact we were all light giddy teachers on the first day of summer break! What a night. I'm not sure what I enjoyed the most but @ahipgma the jazz club was wonderful, we fit in so well and I'm glad you felt comfy in the kitten heels over the Manolo's , I'm definetly more kitten heels at the minute (and I think they are safer for a group of giddy, slightly tipsy hippy sisters!):roseshwr:
I must say I'm ready for breakfast so I might pop out for a stroll around Central Park and watch the people jogging as day breaks. It's a bit of a distraction technique because I'm thinking about the bagels @Calgal . I'll probably grab a coffee while out (might slip a toasted flagel in too as they originated in NY. I wonder if I can find out where?) so dies anyone want coffee bringing back as a pick me up before we brunch?:happydance:
Anyone up for grabbing the Staten Island ferry for another look at lady liberty after brunch before we head to Bloomingdales for some last minute shopping?:ok:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom