Revision TKR May 9 2024 Revision TKR - again

Based on my previous experiences with ortho this doctor is amazing and I will trust him with any future ortho needs.
You should name him, his practice, and his location so he can go into the database and be recommended to other patients.
My doctor’s information is as follows:
Dr Joseph McCormick
OSMS Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Specialists
Locations in Green Bay, Appleton, Fox Valley, Chilton
Wisconsin

(Please note there is another doctor with the same name - also ortho - he is with Prevea - that is NOT my doctor)
 
One month today! Feeling pretty good and fairly active. Down to one PT appointment last week and one more 6/13 which will conclude my PT appointments at the hospital/clinic - of course I’ll still continue my own PT stretching/strengthening.

Have cut out the AM Tylenol and currently taking a Meloxicam in the morning and 1000 mg Tylenol around 5:30 pm. Will play around eliminating either/both over the next few weeks. Not really getting specific pain - just some achiness after lots of activity and/or at the end of the day. Nothing keeping me awake at night.

Have reached 112 on my bend and flat still at 5. I was able to go up my basement stairs one at a time, but not down yet. I’ll get there…no hurry.

Swelling still happens…and I expect for some time. I’ve been super lazy about elevating (in fact I don’t even think I’ve done it once the last couple of days). I have been icing after activity, but the last 2 nights I’ve stopped icing at bedtime without experiencing any noticeable difference in ability to sleep well.

I’ve been pretty active the last week - started back on my exercise videos for cardio and strength (without squats, lunges or anything twisty) plus 10 minutes on the bike and a few PT exercises thrown in. Have been walking the pup 1 1/2 miles in the AM (one day it was 2 3/4 !) plus 1/2 mile in the afternoon. Really happy to start being more active, but also can tell I’m still healing because those noon naps are required
 
You are doing amazing well for only 1 month out. Your results are certainly not the norm. Most people are no where near your accomplishments at your stage of recovery.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Jen!
You're making great progress. Have a nice week! :wave:
@Jen53014
 
@sistersinhim I know I’m recovering outside the curve and I’m loving it! Since this is my 3rd time with the same knee and component parts replaced each time (which are longer and more intrusive) I knew exactly what to expect - until I was pleasantly surprised! If you have to have a 2nd revision this is hopefully the way it goes

@Layla thank you! Same to you
 
Hello from 6 weeks! Had my check up yesterday and had to grab a pic of the X-ray. I’m thinking I must be bionic now except I’m not supposed to do high impact activities which seems to negate the bionic-ness

All is going well and I continue to improve and strengthen. Have been completely off meds about a week (but will not hesitate to take any for flares ). I had my last visit with PT last week (I ended at 5 weeks) as I’d passed all the milestones (115 bend and 0 flat). I’ve been completely back in my exercise routine while choosing a bit easier videos. I’ve increased my recumbent bike resistance to 4 (was at 6 pre surgery) - time is about 10 minutes. Still walking the pup twice a day (1 1/2 to 2 1/2 miles) although it’s been very hot here in Wisconsin so we go early! I’m able to go up and down stairs reciprocally, but down I definitely feel safer with a hand on the rail.

As to icing and elevating…admittedly I’m way off track because I forget. I don’t think I’ve elevated at all in over a week and maybe iced a couple times during the same period. I do reach for the ice when I “feel” like I might have pushed too hard and boy that works like a charm. I’ve even converted my husband to icing his feet for his soreness and he sees some relief.

My doctor looked at my knee and said “I made your scar better”. He didn’t cut as long as the original and it’s sure healing better than the previous two times. Maybe this glue business is the better option! He also said I’m doing great, but I’ll see all kinds of improvements over the first year - sound familiar?

Here’s a pic of my X-ray - I told my doctor the top part looks like an old fashioned clothes pin and he said that’s what they call it! With the length of my hardware stability should never be an issue. And actually I do notice there’s no give or play in my knee anymore (unrelated to swelling ) - feels very, very stable!

Happy healing journey to everyone!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] May 9 2024 Revision TKR - again
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 48
Wow, that's quite a stem! You are doing very well for being so early in your recovery! Just be careful with adding resistance to your bike. It's really early to be working on strength training. Letting your knee be your guide is the best way to try it out.
 
Great update!
Definitely increase resistance AND time in small increments as you're still early in soft tissue healing.
But it sounds like you're good at listening to what your body tells you!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Jen!
How are things going for you at two months post op? We’d love to hear.
I hope you’re doing well and enjoying Summer so far.
Best wishes as you continue on your healing journey! :walking:
@Jen53014
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Jen!
How are things going for you at two months post op? We’d love to hear.
I hope you’re doing well and enjoying Summer so far.
Best wishes as you continue on your healing journey! :walking:
@Jen53014
Thanks @Layla for the follow up. Things are going really well. I’m pretty much doing everything I want to do at this point. Putting on my tennis shoes every day is always a challenge, but I finally crossed my leg just a day ago. I have been doing strength 1 - 2 times a week even. I still have some soreness from time to time, but am not taking any meds for a couple weeks. I feel like in 2024 I have slowed down and it’s “easy” to attribute it to my surgery, but I think it’s more a general malaise. I have my annual scheduled in august and will discuss with my GP.

Happy summer!
 
Thanks for the update. It is easy to assume the fatigue may be surgery related. I hope you receive that reassurance during your annual physical.
A great rest of the week to you, Jen.
@Jen53014
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Jen!
Hopefully all continues to go well and you're enjoying the warm days of Summer. It's going by quickly.
Take good care and stay in touch.
@Jen53014
 
Your tiredness could very well be from your surgery, it takes a lot out of you! I bet you'll increase your energy level as your knee heals.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom