Revision TKR May 9 2024 Revision TKR - again

Jen, you're a champ! :egypdance:
You continue to do so well after your revision. May it only get better!
@Jen53014
 
Excellent!!! Especially getting on the floor and up!
I did it on post op day 33 with my second knee and lots of folks here were amazed.
But this is your third knee, so you have a clear idea of how to engage your whole body. :yes:
And I really have worked on my balance for years which means engaging my core. I will say it wasn’t pretty getting off the floor because I didn’t want to put any pressure on the knee, but thank goodness for upper body strength and chairs I am still maintaining this 3rd recovery is unlike either of the first two…in a very good way!
 
2 weeks today - I did my exercises this morning with no problem…no full revolution on the bike yet.

We had a few appointments today so we left at 8:45 am and returned home about 2 pm. After putting away some groceries I took off my shoes and applied some ice - that did feel good.

Our first appointment (after dropping the pup at doggy daycare) was at my husband’s physical therapist (he has some foot issues he’s just finishing up therapy on). Boy was the PT amazed when I sauntered in - he was really surprised it was just 2 weeks today. I told him I too was surprised, but as it was my third time I was due for an “easy-ish” recovery!

I rested for an hour and then planted my last couple plants and watered the ones from yesterday. I’m not sure why I still had so much energy - especially since I’ve been taking a noon nap the last 2 weeks. Hopefully I won’t feel any ill effects tomorrow. I will say it’s just after 7 pm and I am pretty tired and wondering just how early I can call it a day My plan is to go to take a pain pill at 8:15 and head to bed with ice and elevate for 40 minutes while watching a show. I plan to be snoozing by 9 pm.
 
Day 15 - i was surprised I didn’t fall asleep quickly last night because I sure felt tired after my active day! My knee wasn’t complaining, but surprisingly the bottoms of my feet were sore-ish. Slept pretty well and every rolled on the non-operated side with a pillow between my legs for a bit - felt nice to get off my back for a change.

Went for a walk with hubby and pup this morning - .8 of a mile at about 26 minute mile pace - big improvement. Felt more natural too!

Had PT this morning and we did measurements and gait - plus I was able to walk up 3 steps reciprocally and down only with a good hold so I wouldn’t call down a real pass as I wouldn’t do without rails on both sides - right now. My gait was very straight - just slightly under “normal” for pace and speed was pretty good but no benchmark for that. My ROM was 5 (almost flat) and Bend was 102 (Day after surgery 10/80 and 5 days after 13/76).

Emailed with my doctor and I can discontinue the ted stockings as long as I’m moving around - I’ll still wear my compression sleeve during the day as swelling still comes with more activity - ice does bring it down pretty quickly thank goodness.

I hope no one has to have a second revision, but if they do I certainly hope they can recover like this - it was so depressing the week before surgery to think of going through it again and yet this is the easiest recovery I’ve ever had. I can’t wait to discuss with my surgeon next week and see what he attributes this to!
 
Day 16 - sleep was meh…couldn’t fall asleep very easily and then dang thunderstorms started so I had to comfort the pup. Everything stopped around 11 pm so we were both able to fall asleep. Woke up a couple times and couldn’t get comfortable. No pain - just everything in my body felt like it needed a good stretch.

Today I weeded the last garden box and planted the last few vegetables. Went on a short walk - did my PT exercises once - played ball with the pup (that’s me standing and throwing while he does all the running ).

Not much else to report - not having the ted stockings on is a delight!
 
Day 17 - I now have to look at the prior post to figure out the day number! That’s good. I think I’ll keep up daily until my doctor follow up on Thursday which will be 3 weeks.

Sleep was ok - it’s actually about where I was normally. Sometimes I wake up and just need to stretch the leg. I will say I seem to be having hot flashes (several nights) and I’m over 10 years post menopause so I’m guessing it’s medication and healing related.

Did all my home PT exercises. Still no full revolution on the bike, but I also have not moved the seat back. Rocking works for me!

We took a walk of about .8 mile and I told the pup I would go a mile tomorrow while hubby is out doing military rites at several cemeteries. We later went to my niece’s private dog park where we met up with some family and friends - and assorted pups - even an 8 week old true puppy. I was walking and talking for the whole hour and took a nice nap when I got home. The afternoon has been restful as we have rain. I did some cooking and rested and my big plan for tonight is resting and a movie.
 
Day 18 - decent sleep, but still taking one pain pill at 8:15 pm - last couple of days I’ve thought about skipping and then around 7-7:30 small aches make themselves known and I decide to postpone

Today I took the pup on 2 walks - 1.2 mile and .6 mile. All told I have around 7,000 steps today and I feel pretty good. I did 10 min on the bike, but not much else in the way of PT exercises - some foot flexes, heel slides and trying to bend the knee towards rear while standing. I figure I have enough activity today.

Tomorrow is PT at the local clinic, but I’m feeling blah about it as I don’t feel like there are any new “tricks“ to be taught and I’ll progress as I progress. I think my 3rd go around I’m much more laid back in my approach because I have experienced improvements well into my first year and honestly this go around IS somehow easier. That said I’ll go tomorrow and Thursday because I’ve already scheduled them and on Thursday I’d like to take a last set of measurements since the session is right before my check up (and stitch removal).

I made brats and potato salad since it’s seems like the appropriate meal for the unofficial start of summer here in the US. And you know I made dessert - strawberries over angel food cake with whipped cream

Carry on with your icing and elevating - I know I will!
 
Day 19 - I was up early after a decent night sleep. It’s nice to be able roll on to either side for a bit - even though I’m a back sleeper regularly.

I had my 10 min bike plus all my regular PT exercises done early. Took a 1.4 mile walk with hubby and pup - pace a bit over a 25 minute mile (about the same as the last few days). Iced after my home exercises and again after my walk. Any discomfort is immediately relieved and it seems like 20 minutes does the trick now too!

Today at my PT at the hospital i was able to do exercises just a week ago I couldn’t do or wouldn’t do. Amazing what a difference a week makes. Did an obstacle course (several times and also while holding a cup of water), step ups with both legs, squats while holding onto a rail (felt more stretchy vs strengthy), and some other routine exercises. Everything felt good-ish I stopped to really examine how my body felt after all and there was a sense of oh yes I worked out, but nothing painful. I’m currently icing and will take a nap after lunch!

This afternoon I’ll take another short walk and probably skip afternoon home PT exercises.
 
Day 19 continued….
ooops…overdid it today or so my knee tells me Took another .6 mile walk this afternoon and it was all I could do get home as quick as possible. I’m pretty sure it was vigorous PT after a longer walk. Too much and I know better. I don’t think anyone is immune from an over do it day. It’s just when you feel so much better you want to do all the things…lesson learned? Doubtful, but I’ll try. This afternoon and tonight spent icing and sitting. TV dinners for supper. Definitely down for a pain pill later.

I told my physical therapist today that I’m a member of the anti no pain no gain club. She said that’s excellent because it’s not a good way to make progress. I told her about this website (told her before too) and the “bonesmart” way. She agreed She also said she wasn’t taught to push into pain when she went to school, but she thinks right ahead of her class it still might have been taught. She’s about 40-45 so school was probably right around 2000. That seems pretty recent to still be pushing the painful practices.
 
Day 20 overnight was meh…I couldn’t seem to get comfortable. Did all my exercises and cut my morning walk back to .8 of a mile. Looking forward to seeing my surgeon tomorrow!
 
Best of luck tomorrow, Jen!
I imagine your surgeon will be pleased with the great progress you've made. Let us know how it goes.
Sweet dreams tonight! :yawn: :sleep:
@Jen53014
 
Day 21 - 3 weeks

Had my PT at the clinic just before my ortho appointment. PT measurements were about the same as a week ago - 103 and 5. I’m still satisfied at 3 weeks. I actually learned about straight leg lifts today…I’ve not been engaging my core - it was kind of a “push” from the surface (hard to explain) and when I stop, contract the thigh muscles and bring the leg up as one it makes my whole core engage. What a different experience! I found this out because I asked why she keeps focusing on my quad strength when I’ve pretty much mastered straight leg raises. Turns out Ihad not mastered them And remember this is my 3rd go round with the identical PT exercises. Make sure you understand why you’re doing something and what parts of your body should be engaged!

Next was my ortho appointment where I expected to get my stitches removed. Turns out I did NOT have external stitches - only glue and steri strips (bigger than steri strips but similar). The nurse pulled the bandage off and 5 minutes later the doctor came in. Boy was it great talking with him. He went through the whole operation and showed me on the X-ray how long the new rod (top - femur) - he told me I’ll have much more stability. He said my appliance is likely giving me a great deal of my stability (by design) and as my muscles heal and strengthen it’ll help me with better lateral/twisting movements. He also thought I was doing really well and had no recommendations other than keep doing what I’m doing. I go back in 3 weeks for an updated X-ray and follow up. He wants to get from hip to ankle to make sure everything looks well placed and working in tandem. Based on my previous experiences with ortho this doctor is amazing and I will trust him with any future ortho needs.
 
WooHooo!!!!
Yes, my husband (who has relatively poor body awareness) just shakes my head when he hears me say that almost any given movement can be done with completely different muscles. Makes no sense to him.
But when a PT, a fitness coach, or martial arts instructor tries to teach me anything my first question is "what muscles should I be engaging?" And I often get strange stares in response.
I'm really glad your leg raises got sorted out.
And congrats on losing the bandage!
 
my first question is "what muscles should I be engaging?
And it should have been mine. I was wondering why she wasn’t suitably impressed with my awesome leg lifts and that’s what led to the discussion. I don’t think she’s used to having someone want to know the details. And my fault for not taking the time to understand the muscles…over confident for sure! It reminded me of a video I watched years ago when I was starting to work on cardio/strength and the instructor made a comment to the effect of “don’t just flop around - engage xx muscles”. Well I was definitely flopping around with those leg lifts
 
3 weeks + a day - I did my regular AM exercises and 15 min on the bike (still no full revolution); a little over a mile walk and pace was 22 min which is big improvement and it was nice to get my heart rate up a bit; did a little yard work; afternoon walk was .67 at 31 min mile because it was up hill (only one way ) and my pup had a lot of sniffing to do since we haven’t been that way since surgery and honestly I was not as energetic either; finished the day with some PM exercises - a select few and 8 min on my bike.

I’ve really been think about what my PT and Doctor said. So today I really tried to make sure my form and core was correct for leg lifts - on the AM on I did 10 but only 6 on the PM round because I couldn’t keep good form. What I’ve been thinking about from the doctor is that my stability is due to the reinforcement and appliance, but my muscles still need to heal and recover. All this time I thought because my recovery was so much better (kind of easier) this 3rd time it was because I had worked so hard on prehab and was in good shape. Nope…it’s appliance based and my muscles still need to catch up (which is why there are lateral things that are huge struggles and why bend is no different than any other recovery). I’m not discounting my prehab or fitness, but I didn’t think I needed quite the same recovery because I was so mobile.

I’m sure glad they both gave me information I needed to hear yesterday. It is amazing that my 3rd time around I’m still learning…oh and recovery is pretty much the same

Here’s the scar at 3 weeks plus a day. First time I’ve had the surgical site closed with glue!
IMG_3499.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Taking off my compression sleeve brings me the same groan of satisfaction I used to get taking off an underwire bra!
 
Day 24 - otherwise known as full revolution bike day! Today was the first day I made a full revolution - backwards. It was pretty easy - no forcing. I did a couple and thought let me try forward and that was good too - a little stiffer, but still not forcing. I ended up doing a total of 15 minutes forward and it felt really good. Followed up with regular PT exercises and now that I’m doing those straight leg lifts correctly I realize they’re hard - hard meaning I’m engaging so many more muscles and it’s exactly what I’d be looking for on a strength workout! Took a nice 1.5 mile walk with the pup - a little slow because he had so much P-mail to check ❤️

Last night I was feeling pretty good and decided to skip the 8:15 pain pill (5mg oxycodone). I did have one by my bedside in case I had any reason to take it later. What I found was I didn’t have pain all night, but definitely some “noticing” of the knee. Nothing that made me even think about needing pain relief. My sleep was more restless - rearranging about every 2 hours. All in all nothing that makes me think I’ll be back on them, but it’s nice to know they’re available if I have a setback. I’m still taking 1000mg Tylenol twice a day (down from 4 times) and a daily Meloxicam and baby aspirin. So I’m still taking pain relief, but working my way down the ladder. I am really good about icing after exercise, walking and other times - elevating I’ve kind of let fall off.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom