Revision TKR May 9 2024 Revision TKR - again

Day 10 - pretty good sleep - woke at just the right time for meds. Turns out was the last pain pill at 2:30 am for the rest of the day. It’s almost 6 pm and my plan is take one around 8:30 pm as I know the overnight can bring all the “feels”. My home PT is going well - I took 2 decent walks today and the second one I went about half a block and told hubby to continue on with the pup as I wasn’t feeling it. I’d say I did pretty good overall. Pain is more of a discomfort and of course swelling. I’ve been icing pretty regularly. I took a good hour nap today which I attribute to more activity.
 
Sounds like you're making nice progress, Jen. You're doing well with the sleep which is so important.
I hope you have a good week! :SUNsmile:
@Jen53014
 
Day 11 - took a pain pill at 8:15 pm and iced/elevated for 40 minutes. Fell asleep about 9:15 and woke up at 2 am. Had a pain pill at the ready, but inventoried my leg and there were no aches or pains outside of some mild discomfort so I skipped. Have not taken another one, but plan to do the same about 8:15 tonight. I’m really amazed at how quickly the pain is dissipating - that’s not to say I can't get a sharp pain with an odd turn, but it doesn’t linger. Our bodies are amazing!

Did my bike twice today - about 10 min and 5 min - still no full resolution. Did a round of PT exercises in the morning but forgot them this afternoon and now I’m too lazy Took a 1/3 mile walk this morning at a 35 min mile pace. This afternoon I drove to our local Tractor Supply (2 miles). Walked with hubby and pup - picked out some hanging baskets and a few vegetables. The garden is going to be very, very small this year as I don’t have the mobility or ambition - but I cannot skip homegrown tomatoes or kohlrabi!

I put my Apple Watch back on today - have had it off since surgery because I didn’t want notifications and didn’t care about steps. Still don’t care how much exercise or steps I’m getting, but as a data junky I do like to peek The total today is just over 3,000 and honestly I never thought I’d even feel like looking or being this active this soon.
 
That's an incredible amount of activity for even a month out! :wowspring:
 
That's an incredible amount of activity for even a month out! :wowspring:
It feels like I have more energy…I’m not quite sure why things are going so well. It’s a fine line between following my perceived energy and not overdoing. Last night I didn’t sleep as well as the last many days, but it wasn’t because my leg was bothering me…more like my sometimes restless sleep. I’m also taking a good nap during the day and relaxing in between my activity. And lots not forget I’m fueling my recovery with delicious food (enchilada casserole yesterday!) and of course dessert everyday!
 
Day 12 aka shower day Just know that shower day can certainly seem like an Olympic sport! After care means I’m relaxing with a lovely ice pack. I highly recommend this cover with openings on both ends. I have the one thats more like a boot (cast cover) but it’s a bit slippery when soap is involved. plus it’s nice to let the tootsies breath It looks like it’s super tight on the thigh, but it’s not really - just swelling and big thighs here! Bruising seems to be mostly gone.

PT at the hospital later - driving myself (the entire 3 blocks ). Will report back!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] May 9 2024 Revision TKR - again
    IMG_3478.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • [Bonesmart.org] May 9 2024 Revision TKR - again
    IMG_3477.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
- driving myself (the entire 3 blocks ).
You go, girl! :wink: That made me chuckle.

Hey, its baby steps back to full independence. You're doing great, Jen!
Best wishes for PT today.
 
@WFD just looking at your signature items and we are both on our 2nd revision of our left TKR. I also had some kind of meniscectomy around 1999 or 2000. Luckily I skipped the MUA (not sure what LOA is though). Did you think your first and then second revision were easier recovery? I know my first revision was night and day recovery wise, but I also attribute that to me being in better shape physically. My second revision is really recovering nicely (so far on day 12.
 
Day 12 update - went to PT today and mostly it went well. I was trying a side step up to a higher step (leading with operated leg) and the first time it was hard and felt a bit sharp around the kneecap. I did it a second time just to be sure it sucked Therapist brought a much lower step and it was fine. Did some other side stepping (walking sideways) on a cushy surface - balance and strength and that was pretty easy. Except for the too high step attempt everything felt really doable, but after 45 minutes I knew it was enough. Of course I had the strength to stop at the cafeteria and get 2 homemade cookies - chocolate chip and butterfinger. Immediately upon arrival home I strapped on my ice pack and ate a cookie - felt much better I did lay down after lunch and had ice and elevation, but there was a little discomfort that kept me from fully relaxing. To be honest it’s my butt that feels like it needs a good stretch, but I can’t quite get the needed stretch with my limitation. The therapist gave me some ideas, but they’re just not stretching the right place - exactly. Maybe the other cookie will fix it!
 
Personally I would decline a sidestep up or down with its challenging combined lateral and up/down as too much stress on tendons this early.
It's not even 4-6 weeks yet!
1705510297746.png
 
Personally I would decline a sidestep up or down with its challenging combined lateral and up/down as too much stress on tendons this early.
It's not even 4-6 weeks yet!
It never even occurs to me…but if it doesn’t feel good or right I quit…although I did give it a second try as I wasn’t sure what I was doing in the first. Trust me that I’m not trying to unduly stress anything, but I’m beginning to wonder if this revision is much, much, much different in some ways because I am doing so well. I kind of feel like I’m in the twilight zone…especially because I remember the first and second time clearly - and this is not the same at all! I don’t see the doc until a week from Thursday (3 week follow up to remove stitches) and I’ll definitely have some questions on these differences.
 
Question for those of you in the first weeks of recovery…or those of you that remember the early weeks!
Do you leave your ted stockings and ace bandage type wraps on overnight? I’ve been leaving the on mostly 24/7 - my instructions say the ted stockings are ok to leave off overnight if desired. I don’t have any guidance on the ace bandage wrap, but do know it’s helpful for swelling from past recovery.
 
(not sure what LOA is though). Did you think your first and then second revision were easier recovery?

LOA = Lysis of Adhesions = removal of scar tissue (of which I had tons - my body makes scar tissue like other people breathe.)

I found revisions to be harder to recover from than the primary TKR - after all, the surgeon has to chip out the old parts and that probably involves a lot of force.

With a revision at least you know what to expect however. The first TKR always seems to be a shock to people.
 
always stay ahead of the pain ...don't be a hero .. you will not get addicted
 
Do you leave your ted stockings and ace bandage type wraps on overnight? I’ve been leaving the on mostly 24/7 - my instructions say the ted stockings are ok to leave off overnight if desired. I don’t have any guidance on the ace bandage wrap, but do know it’s helpful for swelling from past recovery.
Why not message your doctor and ask him? I never had to wear them, so each doctor is different in their instructions.
 
I was told to just wear them during the day and to put them on first thing- while the leg was still elevated and least swollen after a night's rest.
But agree you should check.
 
Day 13 - rough overnight, but not because of the knee. We had severe thunderstorms for almost 3 hours - so much noise and wind. My pup is terrified of thunder. I basically comforted him from 9:30 pm until about 12:30 am. There was a brief lul of 20 minutes where we both fell asleep and then jarred awake again. I think my leg was fine because I was too tired to notice

I did my PT exercises this morning (still no full revolution on the bike); went on a .60 mile walk with hubby and pup - pace 30 minute mile so that’s a little better; drove to the garden store in the next town to pick up some kohlrabi plants; took a well deserved 90 minute nap with elevating and ice; planted my veggies (very, very small amount). Decided I had more than enough activity for the day and skipped the afternoon walk - came in the house to ice and put my feet up. Haven’t decided if I’ll do my afternoon PT, but it’s unlikely (and nope I did not do any further activity - made supper by heating leftovers in the microwave and back on the sofa with an ice pack!)

Oh and I got on the floor and used my smallest foam roller to massage my rear end and upper thighs - couldn’t do it for long since I basically had to support the surgical leg and roll back and forth, but it did feel good.
 
Last edited:
Excellent!!! Especially getting on the floor and up!
I did it on post op day 33 with my second knee and lots of folks here were amazed.
But this is your third knee, so you have a clear idea of how to engage your whole body. :yes:
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom