TKR May 29, 2018 right knee

@LanaKay,
We do have this section that has lots of useful "How to . . . " articles, to help new members:
How To Use This Forum

Have a look there. I think you'll find the articles helpful.
 
I found that Tylenol PM before bed helped my body get back into its normal sleep pattern. Just be careful of any other medication that my contain Tylenol.
 
Surgery went well but the easy first days I had in January with left knee didn'ts in happen this time. Seems those long lasting leg nerve blocks are discouraged now. They want feeling and movement as soon as possible. Wow what a difference. I'm in rehab. Everyone is so gracious and they act happy I'm back. Gentle pt this morning and afternoon. I am quick to say no....thank you bonesmart. It's real and I'm staying as long as I need to. In January I was in hurry to get home. I want to be strong enough to be home alone. The journey has begun.
 
Welcome to recovery again, @LanaKay

Take things easy in rehab and don"t let them push you into pain.
Make sure that you"re on an effective pain control regime before you come home.

Here is your post-op reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Now you have two recovery threads - one for each knee - which is allowed. Would you like to keep it that way, or would you like us to merge the two threads into one, so you don't have to keep hopping between threads to write about each knee?
 
Best wishes to you on your new journey. I'm starting my second knee journey Monday, June 4 and hoping it goes as well as the first did in February. It sounds like you have a nice rehab group. That's a blessing. Stay strong!
 
Your threads have been merged.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Today in rehab has been divine. It's weekend and pt's are off. The replacement wanted to give me massage, with no exercise. Wow. It felt so good. no exercise tomorrow. Slowly I am getting better, but the left one was amazing. I have to realize this knee is it's own...we will recover but in a slower manner. Thanks for being here, it means everything.
 
Having had two, know each recovery and experience is quite different. So as hard as it is try to pretend that you have not had the other one done. (Impossible I know)

But wishing you all the best with your recovery.
 
Surgery: Jan. 9 and May 29, 2018. Thanks to all I've learned here I am having a much better PT experience than my first knee post surgery treatment. On left knee in January I had a significant "pressure" day at PT after weeks of all going well. A zealous PT wanted great ROM and pushed my knee together with me writhing in pain. I had an apt. next day with PA at OS office. There was a large area of bruising showing the bleeding that this caused. PA decided I needed no more therapy. Before my surgery on my right knee I had a talk with the PT. I laid down some rules from my reading at Bonesmart. Thank you from the bottom of my Southern heart. They never touch my leg...I like it like that. YOu are doing such a service to all of us joint replacement patients. There is a huge gap of information that never comes to us that we need pre surgery. Again thank you....my knee really thanks you. The first one was amazingly quick in recovery. This one is not going to do anything quickly. I'm ok with that because I read my Bonesmart every day. Thanks
 
@LanaKay ,
Happy to hear how well you are doing, glad you second TKR has been a much better experience.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Back
Top Bottom