Guest viewing is limited

May 1....

Surgery Monday at 10 am... What position will I wake up in... Anterior bilateral
 
A much better one that's for sure from reading all the articles!!!
I'm a 45 year old fire fighter with recent diagnosis of arthritis in both hips. Ortho says hip replacements inevitable at some point, that bring down to when I'm in pain.
I currently get the odd pains and plenty of aching, but feel it's manageable and plan to drop a stone or 2 in next 6 months.
How bad had pain and restrictions got??



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
THANKS JAYCEY! @Fireman Sam : It has gotten continually worse over the past two years...chronic, maybe not excruciating, just chronic. Always thought it was lower back issues and sciatica and went for a time with no insurance so when i finally got the diagnosis I was shocked. Due to trying to 'take it easier' , I gained weight - 150 lbs for a 5 ft 3 frame is a little heavy, and I lost over the last 9 months- now I weigh 135. Losing weight definitely helped the pain when I was on my feet, but sleeping has ALWAYS been miserable. Even a little more so that I dont have the weight buffering my hips. We girls carry it there you know. I just felt like after a while, not only was there hip/leg/back pain, and I do have a high tolerance for pain so I was dealing with it - but I feel like it started causing a body-wide inflammation in all my joints and muscles. Cant be good for your body's immune system to deal with pain constantly. Can I put it off? Since surgery is looming, Id like to. But my surgeon and alot of these good folks on this site insist it will be the beginning of getting my life back. So, here I go. I will say - once the cartilage is gone, which is what i was told, all you are doing is damaging the bone and putting off the inevitable. He felt like PT and/or injections were not a viable option for me. LOSING WEIGHT did help
 
@Mojo333. I wish you all the best on Monday. I'm 73 this coming eeek and just had TRHR on Thursday and now am home recovering. It has not been as bad as I imagined for me and I hope you find the same. I'm sure it is a bit daunting to think of having both done at the same time but you will be in good hands and you can do it. I just kept reminding myself how great it will feel once I'm healed. I was blessed I didn't have sleep issues so you will probably feel even better than me. I wish you all the best. You will do great!!
 
I know they need to be replaced but I kind of like my own parts
So what if you had a bad tooth? Would you be so concerned about having it extracted? A worn out hip is no different!
 
@GrannyC thank you... Glad you are on the road to recovery... And happy to hear you are so positive. Josephine, thanks for jerking my chain but I just mourm a little for my old self. Trying not to panic... Plus I'm trying to quit smoking so I'm a lot tense!!!
 
Mojo333, one thing I thought I'd point out to you is that it can be quite difficult if not impossible to move the leg after surgery. From reading on here, I'd say it is pretty common but it doesn't last. In the hospital they will give you the band to use to move it yourself but I ended up having the nurse do it for me most of the time. You just don't feel like dealing with it that first day or two post op. Now I'm home and I tried it some and the rest of the time I had my husband move my leg for me. Each time I tried the strap I did a bit better but last night for the first time since surgery I actually was able to get sitting up and out of bed on my own which felt like s major accomplishment. I only point this out so you know what might happen but also know it is very common and won't last. Each day gets a little easier. Thinking of you and wishing you well. I am sure you will do great.
 
@Mojo333 wishing you all the best tomorrow. You will be so glad when it is all over. No more arthritic pain and no more stiffness from the arthritis!! You will do great. Make sure to start a recovery thread and let us know how you are doing.
 
@Mojo333 wishing you a complete recovery. I am 7 weeks post op tomorrow and so glad I had my THR


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
By this time tomorrow, you'll be on the other side! Good luck, good luck!
 
I'm overwhelmed... Overwhelmed but so grateful to have those who know cheering me on. Thank you for helping me focus on after.
 
Mojo33.
Delighted to catch you before you start the rest of your life.
Best wishes today.
Your in good hands. They are doing it every day.
I'm watching out.
Joe........
 
@GrannyC ... Thanks for sharing that, so maybe I won't freak out. @Cherdonnay @Cisne @Jaycey ... Thank you for your words of support! Can't have a smoke...I quit... Can't have a cup of coffee... Nerves are shot... Ready to get this done!!!
 
@Irish Joe .... Ready to get this thing going... No sleep hard as I tried last night. Reckon I'll get plenty while they are working on me. Hope the doc got a good night's sleep!!! Thanks for the well wishes...
 
@ScenicRte thank you for encouraging words...
 
So looking forward to your recovery thread, we are the same size, same weight, I am having bilateral double replacement anterior method in July, I had to put it off for personal reasons wishing I was getting it done as soon as you, will be watching for your recovery thread chin up don't be a wuss like me


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom