May 1....

Mojo333

Staff member since August 15, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
I am 53 years old and told at end stage degenerative osteoarthritis in both hips. DBL anterior replacement Monday. Mortified!

Good luck for Monday. I was shocked with my diagnosis too (hip dysplasia and osteoarthritis in Left hip - bone on
Bone). So shocked it took me 6 months to be brave enough to do the op! Big mistake as got very painful towards the end. Hope your op goes really well. At 8 weeks I can really appreciate the benefits of this operation!
Best wishes,
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi Mojo,
Yes it is shocking when you are given the news that you need THR. I took ages to get my head around it. I just thought I was too young, but when you 've accepted the verdict , it's better to get it over and done with. Hopefully your op will all go smoothly on Monday and then you can start on the recovery path and eventually start to get your life back.

I won't pretend that it's all plain sailing and having a bilateral THR will probably take a bit longer to recover from, but then each day you are getting a bit better instead of a bit worse! Hang in there! There are a number of people here who have had Bilateral surgery, perhaps @Irish Joe could give you some pointers. Above all, this site is so supportive and informative. In the early days of recovery, when sleep was elusive, I found the kindness and warmth of the people on here very comforting. You know nothing about what to expect, but the advice and experience of those ahead of me in this process was enormously helpful.

Good luck for Monday! Will look out for your progress reports post - op.
Best wishes,
Diane

@Mojo333 May 1st is your first Freedom Day! The beginning of freedom from all the pain and frustration and the start of the rest of your life. Yes, you have to get through the recovery and that will be hard, but every day is another day towards a very different life than what I'm sure you've experienced over the past couple of years. Best of luck!

@Mojo333.
Mortified.
Its a while since I heard that one.:smile2:
Ask away any question just tag me like Delphi did above because I might not catch you otherwise.
There is no need to be mortified I can assure you.
There any many many reasons why we need hip replacements and perhaps you might humour me by telling me how you got here.
Firstly you are totally correct to have both done together I believe because there is 1 surgery and 1 recovery.
Pop over to the Library here and have look at the many articles to gain much needed info from.
You should have a look at the other threads on the forum with the Green Bi-Lateral banner on them to see how many others have progressed to active recovery.
Think of what you could do,,,, now can't,,,,, and will do again after this. With the exception of Bungee Jumping maybe.
You've got a bit of work to do Now roaming this wonderful Website.
Better Days Await you.
Joe..........

Still trying to get use to navigating this site. I'm guessing an active lifestyle and bad genetics led to my demise...I lost 20 lbs this last year and that helped with ALOT of my pain with the exception of lying down to sleep. Honestly I haven't slept a consecutive 3 hours in years. Took a while for diagnosis so... It's all happening really quickly. Thanks for the tips

Thanks... For the kind words ...as I just did my preop so I feel like It is ON now....

Sammie, are you glad you did it yet. By the way, don't know how to reply individually.. Not a computer, facebooker saavy type. Feel like I'm posting wrong

Sammie, are you glad you did it yet. By the way, don't know how to reply individually.. Not a computer, facebooker saavy type. Feel like I'm posting wrong

Yes SO glad!!! The first couple of weeks are tough I won't pretend and with a bilateral probably a bit slower to recover but honestly it will change your life. @IrishJoe is a great example as he had both done.
I hadn't slept for so long either and am now honestly free if all that post op pain and have been since the op. There has been surgery pain (manageable with meds) and some aches in the muscles now I am more active again but nothing like the pre op permanent pain that no meds seemed to help. I am walking the dog an hour plus a day with no real pain. Amazing really. Joe is right, after the op every day is a step forward to recovery and a pain free life. Lots of support on here / I was clueless about the whole thing. Also lovely to have friends on here who understand what you are going through.
Take care!
Sam xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

I'm 52 so similar age - felt so young (haha!) to be having it done but I don't think actually that unusual!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Very comforting words... And I do feel way too young. I'm the manager of our local food bank and I need to get back to work and life asap. Good luck to you too as y'all continue recovery. Gotta quit googling, freaking me out some.

Stop "Googling"
Get "Bonesmarting"
Joe.....

@Irish Joe inspiring me to think of what I expect to gain from this surgery. I know they need to be replaced but I kind of like my own parts.... Won't even find out till today when my surgery behind Monday. Hope I hurt like hell that day so I won't chicken out. Hoping to be grateful, mortification fading to extreme trepidation... And I'm trying to quit smoking. My poor partner!!!

Stay on this forum 'till May 1st and after.
I assure you that you are doing the right thing.
Millions of people In the USA and everywhere are walking around on pain free limbs.
You deserve to be one of them.
Roll on MayDay..
And Quit the dreaded weed.
Joe.......

@Mojo333 Welcome to BoneSmart! So glad you found us. Good luck on Monday. You won't regret this surgery. It is literally a new beginning.

Regarding going back to work - you are going to have 2 major ops in one day. Don't push to return to work. The recommended time off work is anywhere from 8-12 weeks and then a Phased return to work .

Thanks for the well wishes... Can't wait to see if I can sleep again. Will try to be patient about length of recovery. Glad to have the support!

It's that film again " The Day After Tomorrow"
Better not watch it today Cos its a Disaster Movie.
I think I'd prefer "Another 48 Hours" that's a comedy.
I won't be online tomorrow.
I'll be riding my Beloved Motorcycle which lay in the shed for Almost 2 years whispering to me while I got myself sorted.
I tell you this because Almost Everything you want to do will be within your grasp "The Day After Tomorrow"
Do It,,,, Get Well,,,,, Live Your Life.
I'm watching and waiting on the Post-op side
Joe.........

Did catch the sleep deprivation info post op... Am ignoring it @Irish Joe !!! Lucky you... Get that thing in the wind. Don't know where you live and how the weather is... But it is absolutely gorgeous in Coastal Georgia and I'm ready to be sorted also. Have a great weekend

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back