THR Mature Mama has her RTHR and 4th joint!

It was brilliant. I had lowered my expectations, but at age 75... Stevie's voice was strong and pitch perfect ...
really fun show and a great memory was made:tada:
 
That's great to hear. As we get older, so do these artists and some of their voices don't age as well.
 
@Layla

I would add my surgeon. Dr. Thomas Novack who is currently part of High Mountain Orthopedic in Wayne, NJ but they are merging with another Orthopedic group so not sure of the new name. They operate with Mako Robotic equipment at St. Joseph's Hospital in Paterson, NJ where they have a wing that is dedicated to patients that have had Orthopedic procedures, so you are not in the general population with people that are ill, chronic or terminal, which is very helpful. All private room setups.

Dr. Novack worked alongside with my original surgeon for my other hip, Dr. Michael Mont, who is an incredibly experienced if not a bit full of himself but he has extensive experience and knows his stuff. Dr. Novak is incredibly down to earth and personable. He is newer at this but bright. Dr. Novack is also incredibly available as I had weekend issues with one day of feverish 10 days out and then needed advice on if I should pursue a broken tooth with the dentist at 17 days out. Both times he called back quickly and was not the least bothered.
 
Hi mature mama,
Thank you for sharing the information above. I will forward it to Admin. Sounds like you found a good surgeon.
It certainly helps to like and have confidence in your OS and their team.
I hope you had a nice day and I wish you a great week!
@mature mama
 
Day 30 here and moving along well. Still taking it easy with elevation, ice and short walks. I still have a bit of a limp and my hand gets more annoyed from the cane when walking than the hip does, so short walks for now.

A few things that are happening without thought are really encouraging. Get in bed with no pain from hip. I closed a recliner with my operated side leg this week with no issues. Started driving last weekend. Only issue is that the right hip scar is caught by the seat belt when driving, so it is uncomfortable. Took my time getting in and out at first. I have a Honda Pilot and I am short, so I have a step to get in. Yesterday I didn't need to move the seat back to get in or out and really didn't have to think about it to do so.

I am going to outside PT twice a week for now. Very light exercises but absolutely love their game ready ice flow compression hip fitted system. I have had swelling at the incision site most days and 15 minutes on this machine reduces it dramatically.

Hoping to get more walking in soon. Always wishing for a quicker recovery but am very grateful that I am on the right path for now.
 
Only issue is that the right hip scar is caught by the seat belt when driving, so it is uncomfortable
I experienced the same so I used a folded hand towel between my leg and the seat belt buckle for a long time. On longer car rides early on, I'd even slip a smaller rectangular gel ice pack in which served double duty. Cushioned the area and served as a distraction because any car rides beyond 30 minutes for the first several months were uncomfortable for me due to the tight confines and inability to move or change position much.
Hope this helps! Have a great weekend!
 
Day 30 here and moving along well. Still taking it easy with elevation, ice and short walks. I still have a bit of a limp and my hand gets more annoyed from the cane when walking than the hip does, so short walks for now.

Sounds like great progress is being made.
 
That's great that you are driving. And doing more things without thought because you can. What a great feeling to be on the mend.
 
Day 30 here and moving along well. Still taking it easy with elevation, ice and short walks. I still have a bit of a limp and my hand gets more annoyed from the cane when walking than the hip does, so short walks for now.

A few things that are happening without thought are really encouraging. Get in bed with no pain from hip. I closed a recliner with my operated side leg this week with no issues. Started driving last weekend. Only issue is that the right hip scar is caught by the seat belt when driving, so it is uncomfortable. Took my time getting in and out at first. I have a Honda Pilot and I am short, so I have a step to get in. Yesterday I didn't need to move the seat back to get in or out and really didn't have to think about it to do so.

I am going to outside PT twice a week for now. Very light exercises but absolutely love their game ready ice flow compression hip fitted system. I have had swelling at the incision site most days and 15 minutes on this machine reduces it dramatically.

Hoping to get more walking in soon. Always wishing for a quicker recovery but am very grateful that I am on the right path for now.
Sounds like you’re getting there! I’m lucky to have a little quiet path around the corner from our house, so I just plod up and down that at my own pace. It’s got a nice little bump in the middle of it, so I get a bit of strength building too. You’ll get there with the walking, great job!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, MM!
May the weekend be all you want it to be! :SUNsmile:
@mature mama
 
So I am smack in the middle of boring recovery. Being patient, but ... Not my first joint replacement but at 65, my oldest aged one. So I still limp and walk with the cane outside of the house. I started using the cane about a month before surgery so I could keep the muscles in as good shape as possible. So now as I am back to the cane, I have very achy and callused hand. It is fall going into winter here, so I tried to wear thick gloves yesterday so I would be more comfortable. My shoulders and back ache a bit from all this unusual use but I can get past them. My hand however is what turns me around on every walk. I know it will improve and the issue will resolve with time but any ideas for now, so I can keep walking longer? If not, I will continue being patient. Trying some stretching and chair yoga for my hands and entire body too.
 
@mature mama Yes the poor hands do get overly worked when one has to use walker or crutches or cane! And arthritis can affect any joint in the body. Hopefully your hands will feel better once you no longer need the cane. In the mean time what I have found very helpful for pain in my hand joints (for me mostly my left thumb) is wearing a copper bracelet. Now I know that may sound like "an old wives tale" or whoo-whoo. But my Dad and his mother who both had severe arthritis in their hands and both wore such bracelets and swore by them. Since I've been wearing a bracelet my pain is less, range of motion is better and my thumb does not lock up like it use to. Since this is a non invasive, no medication, and relatively inexpensive "might help" ... and it can't hurt. Amazon.com has thousands of bracelets to choose from ... from very simple and cheap to very elaborate works of art.
 
@mature mama -- Using gloves is smart to prevent calluses. The aching in your hand could be that you are gripping the cane too tightly (which happened to me pre-op). Can you relax your hand around your top of the cane without dropping it? That will probably help.

Regarding the shoulder and back ache: I'm wondering if your cane is the right height for you. Has someone (a PT or your surgeon or PA) checked it? That was one of the first things my PT did when I was ready to graduate from the walker to the cane. If it is the correct height, you might want to have him/her check to be sure you are using it properly as a support.

Let us know what you learn.
 
The 4-6 week (sometimes longer)...will it ever end... getting old now funk:gaah:

Oh how I remember.:sad:

All Temporary was my incessant mantra...
Keep the faith, friend.
 
@djklaugh the copper bracelets are certainly worth a try. My left hand has been testy on and off for a few years with arthritis. I do stretching and movement but it can't hurt to try.

@benne68 the current cane was given to me by thr PT in the hospital. Before surgery I found an article that talked about height of cane and wonder if this one might be to high. I am going to look into this. And I do think I am holding on to tight. Will try to loosen up my grip.

@Mojo333 agreed with that time frame and mantra. I am a little behind the recovery curve from other surgeries but these next few weeks are the much better but still need to take it easy weeks. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi mature mama,
I am not sure if you've checked, but you can purchase hand grips for both cane and walker on Amazon quite inexpensively which allow for more cushion and less pressure on your hands. Check it out!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
@mature mama
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom