THR Marguerite's introduction & recovery

@marguerite Hello and welcome! I hope you have a smooth recovery and are feeling well today! Bonesmart is a great group of people and it has been invaluable to my recovery of my TKR and now my RHR.
 
@marguerite . Got that bad hip finally on the mend. Might not seem like it now, but you will be ever so glad.
Things are very aggravated in there and it will take some time to settle down. Only do what is necessary now and don't attribute those pains and pulls to anything being wrong.
Icing, elevating, tiny strolls about...that thigh is probably super sore, eh? Mine were.
Sleeping in the bed all night wasn't happening for me...so I took naps often.
Hope all eases soon.:wave:
 
Last edited:
Hi @marguerite. I think I’ve been doing a little too much twisting too. A little painful in the groin area. Thigh is hurting a lot too. Slow and steady. Just getting bored and frustrated that I’m so limited right now. How are you feeling this morning?
 
Hi @marguerite
You just had your one week anniversary...yay!
Wondering how this past week of recovery was for you?
Hopefully you're feeling stronger each day.....
We'd love to hear how you're doing when you have time.
A great week to you! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone, I disappeared for awhile. Got overwhelmed with work and couldn’t face more screen time after hours. I think I am healing OK from my LTHP 3 weeks later - off pain meds for two weeks, walking mostly without a crutch although my left glute and hamstring get very tired if I walk a long time.

But, I can’t sit on a hard or firm chair for an hour or more because my leg starts to hurt so I switch off standing, walking around, and sitting when I am tired. I do have numbness and sensitivity to touch on my left IT band. I did some reading here and now I’m stressed about potential nerve damage. I have a post-surgery appointment Wednesday and will raise it then.

Anyway, sorry to disappear and then come back whiny! I hope everyone is doing well and I’m off to catch up.
 
Hi again @marguerite !
Are you working from home or back in an office setting? I have not had my surgery yet so no bonafides there but
You're not at a month post op and are still healing. Lots of serious trauma involved in a hip replacement so lots of serious recovery needs to happen for awhile longer.
Others will chime in here but nerve trauma doesn't surprise me given what happens during this surgery. Nerves heal but it does take more time than you might think. Is the numbness,pain, sensitivity new or have you had it since your surgery ?
 
Thanks @BeBe! I have had it since the operation (I think, the pain meds were really effective while I was taking them so I didn’t notice for the first week.) I am lucky because I can work from home but I’ve gone to the office a couple of times by taxi just to show my face. I probably need to walk around more than I am doing.
 
Bring up all of your concerns with your OS on wed. I know my Previous OS prescribed Lyrica for nerve pain routinely post op, Not sure if my new OS does this or not.
Good you can work from home but maybe work in some lying down breaks and walking breaks. I haven't had my surgery yet and can't do an hour in a hard or firm chair. Last week I had a few phone interviews and some off and on hours at my desk and wow just could not believe how horrid I felt, just have to move to my laptop to the recliner now? I think we forget how work tensions can affect our pain levels.
 
@marguerite .
So very early days for you. We all have a slightly different journey but the first months can be the toughest.
Seems like there is new pains, aches and issues that pop up as we go.
Most of these will soon pass, some hang on for a bit.
Fourth month was my biggest turnaround month.
And sitting does get old. You will find a balance.
Hope today is a Good Day.
 
I have some numbness and sensitivity in right leg. Had it with right hip also, although not sure in exact same pattern. I have noticed area is slowly getting smaller. Takes time for all of that to heal. With left hip, I was still noticing improvements after one year mark.

It sounds like you are really doing well at this point.
 
Hi @marguerite
Sounds like your recovery is moving right along.
I wouldn't stress about anything this early. There is still so much healing to take place.
You mentioned you feel you should be walking around more.
I've attached the activity progression article for you to take a look at.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Take it slow and all will fall into place. I hope your week is great!
 
@marguerite Hi there. So glad you are progressing with that lovely new hip. NUmb areas do hang around for a while so I wouldn't worry about too much and am sure the OS will put your mind at rest. Maybe you could get up every hour and just walk around the house or if it's better weather, out in the garden. It will do your mind and body good as well. In the beginning I was on here a lot with various pains, swelling, etc etc but was helped enormously with support from others. Keep posting and try not to worry too much - we are all here and have your back - cheers Carol
 
Hi there :hi:
Wondering how your recovery is going?
We'd love to get an update next time you stop by.
Hope all is going well and wishing you a wonderful weekend :flwrysmile:
@marguerite
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom