TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

That turn around is different for each of us :console2:
 
Is the Tylenol working to quiet the pain? I am sorry for all you are going through.
 
Tylenol may not be enough to keep you comfortable this early in your recovery. You could speak with your surgeon or your GP about using Tramadol along with the Tylenol. That works for a lot of people.

You're only taking 3000mg of Tylenol a day now. You could take another 1000mg dose and still be within the maximum allowed in any 24 hour period of 4,000mg. Just be sure you also count in any medications you take that contain acetaminophen such as cold and sinus medications.

Also be sure you are icing your knee as much as possible. Ice can be very helpful for pain. With frequent icing, you should ensure that you have a towel between you and the ice source so as not to damage skin. Each time you ice you want to do at least 45 minutes. It's okay to ice longer if it's comfortable for you....even at night when you sleep.
 
I saw my surgeon this week, and was pleasantly surprised. My flexion was 105 and my extension 100. No PT until at least 6 weeks to allow for healing. In the meantime it’s walking, ADLS, peddling, and once my flexion reaches 115 stairs. I have been really pleased with this man.
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
 
Is it common to have a “sticky,” raw, scrapin, raw sensation when flexing your new knee after it has been extended for a bit? It’s the strangest sensation.
 
I just saw my surgeon for my 6 week check in. I am at 115 degrees as of today, and he reports that I am right on track. I should hit 125 degrees within the next month and that is where I should be staying in order to perform all activities. He wanted me to know that no matter what I may be told, 125 degrees is the max I should be at. The focus is now to begin the strengthen the muscles in my leg and improve my balance. I can return to all previous activities and will be seen in one year. Feeling pretty lucky to have found this surgeon. Oh, and the sensations that I have been feeling after I have been sitting are from adhesions breaking, as they should.
 
Congratulations, Maregold! I'm glad you found out the answers to your questions....
 
I’m now three years out from a successful TKR. Last week it tripped on the stairs and fell hard on my knees onto the concrete floor. Since then my operative knee has been clicking and feels off, not painful, above and below. Is this normal?
 
I’m sorry you fell! I had a fall almost 6 years post op. I didn’t specifically fall on my knees, but I did land flat , so my PKR did get hurt. I waited about a week and a half before getting an X-ray, which, in my case, looked fine. My issues were all soft tissue. It took about 2 months for my swelling and resultant bruising to settle back to normal.
 
@Maregold. Is the knee swollen? Have you tried icing and elevating?

It's pretty rare for a fall to cause damage to an implant -- but only you know how it feels. If it was me, I'd make an appointment with my surgeon's office to have it xrayed.


Please notice that I've merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread because we prefer that members maintain just one recovery thread.

This way all your information is in one place, making it easy to find and serving as a diary of your recovery. Having all your information is all in one place also enables our staff and other members to advise you better. And you won't miss or lose relevant posts and advice.

So, please post any updates, questions or concerns here. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You may want to bookmark your thread to make it easier to find.

For more on how to navigate the forum, you can read through this article:
How can I find my threads and posts?
 
It's pretty rare for a fall to cause damage to an implant -- but only you know how it feels. If it was me, I'd make an appointment with my surgeon's office to have it xrayed
Agree with @benne68 that if it was me I would probably try to get it X rayed- if only for reassurance. At least then if you knew there was no serious damage you could rest/ ice/ gentle rehab it without worry.
Good luck- sorry you fell.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom