THR Mandasmom12 ‘s Recovery

After a sprain or strain, the recommendation is to ice for 20 minutes.
This isn't enough for us post op.
With knee replacement, we commonly ice at least 45 minutes both to avoid rebound swelling and to gain better pain control.
I believe BoneSmart does recommend this with hips as well.
 
I found that after the first week or so, I didn't need as much oxy as was prescribed. I took my tylenol regularly, and started stretching my oxy as I found I could tolerate. Then for a while, only at night. I was relieved the process wasn't as painful as I expected.
 
Ohhhh… I run out of Oxy tomorrow night at 5pm, day 5!! Should I be worried?

I realize now it says every 4 hours “as needed”. Maybe I will be kicking myself later for taking it on schedule… i probably could have done 4-6 hours!

Maybe I will do that with the last 6 pills to make them last.

Christy
TRHR 6/5/24 ~ Day 4
TLHR 6/5/17
 
Last edited:
If you are still in pain please call your Dr. for more oxy. There is no shame in needing adequate pain relief. It took me 3 weeks to to totally wean off the oxy. Week 2 was especially rough.
 
Different medicine here but I have to call for refills. Cut back on Week 2 not ready to cut back again this week. I tried yesterday and was miserable. Call for a refill if you need to. We are all different in our recovery timeline.
 
FYI Worth keeping an eye on the itching. If not skin or medication related - can be related to the liver being unhappy. Definitely follow up if it does not resolve or if you start going yellow...
 
If you are still having enough pain to require oxy, it's worth a call to your surgeon's office before you run out.
The US is a little crazy about pain meds. Some places are reasonable about surgery, and some places are ridiculous about refills. You can't know how they'll react in your area without asking.
Good luck!

I get crazy itching from any morphine related med. I actually got one of the assistants in the hospital to help me wipe down to get the chlorohexadine off my skin so I could figure out which thing was making me itch. Both, of course.
 
I run out of Oxy tomorrow night
What else are you taking for pain? Tylenol can be very helpful, but you have to take enough and take it on a regular schedule.

We recommend the following: take 2 extra strength tables (500 mg each) every six hours (4 times a day). Just be sure that none of your other medications contain acetaminophen because you don't want to exceed 4000 mgs/day. Also, remember that it's important to stay ahead of the pain by taking them on a regular schedule. As a reminder, here is a link to the pain management chart https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ing-pain-after-a-tkr-and-the-pain-chart.7969/

Icing and elevation can also help with pain.
 
Thank you so much for your responses!! I was worried about needing a refill and that helps to know it is common!

The reminder about the pain management article was perfect! I did read it before, but you have proved my husband right. He always says “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear!”

This part stood out:

“Often when people say they have 'no pain' they are thinking of the arthritic pain they had before. Post-op pain is different and manifests itself as
soreness - *if pressing on soft tissue surrounding incision (the muscles)
burning
stabbing
throbbing
aching
swelling
stiffness

You should take pain meds for this and maybe even apply an ice pack over the swollen area.”

Bold is what I am experiencing. Italicized mine.

Update: I did not take the Oxy at 9pm or 1am. Took 2 Acetaminophen 500mg @ 1am (@ my every 8 hours point), burning was bad @ 3am, so took an Oxy (10 hours). I slept until 8:30am.

Laying down my pain is a 0. Walking to the kitchen and bathroom is a 2-3 (burning and soreness). Thigh is still tight.

OS also has me taking Meloxicam once a day. I had this pre surgery in place of ibuprofen, but felt it did nothing for me, even if I doubled it…

My “normal” meds: Lyrica and Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia. Hydrochlorothiazide for blood pressure. He did say that the H was a very low dose and a diuretic, so I could double it to help with swelling. Aspirin too.

All that said, I am going to take my “normal”meds, Oxy, and acetaminophen now (9:50am) and see how I am doing in 6 hours.

Thank you so much!!

Christy
TRHR 6/5/24 ~ Day 5
TLHR 6/5/17
 
Last edited:
Update: 1 week today!!

I did call and the OS office refilled my Oxy!

Now i am taking it and the 2 Acetaminophen every 6-8 hours depending on what time a day it is. I am no longer setting an alarm during the night. Actually, I have my days and nights a bit mixed up right now…

I have only slept maybe an hour since 3pm yesterday. I hit a rough patch today!! Headache, nausea, constipation, blahhh Solved with a shower and “3 Southern Cats” videos!!! ‍⬛

Posted my badges

We have had a meal train set up through our church, so dinner is here!! All is good with the world right now

Christy
TRHR 6/5/24 ~ Day 7 bandage free (sigh of relief)
TLHR 6/5/17
 
Update: All is going well so far and I am 3 weeks post TRHR today!!

I have been to church twice and been riding on short trips with my husband here and there a few times. Saturday, we started walking around our horseshoe (street) which is 1/2 mile door to door. We are starting out every 3rd day and I am coming home and napping for a 3-4 hours afterwards to rest my body. The scar is closed and that soft reddish/purple color. I stretch on my bed daily all different ways and directions to loosen up the tight muscles. Actually something I should have done more after the left one. Some I can do better with the right leg I am finding! It is still tight as I walk and pull the right leg thru to forward, causing a slight leg difference feel.

I will wait to drive though until at least 4 weeks.

I have a baby shower to go to this weekend and I am so excited to see everyone!

I did go to my 2-week with my OS last Tuesday. He said that all looked good and he would see me in 8 weeks. I have my follow up with my primary doctor today.

This recovery has been so different than the first one. God is good!

Christy
TLHR 6/5/17
TRHR 6/5/24~ Day 21
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Good report from your visit with the OS. I hope the appointment with your primary went well also. You're making great progress. Thanks for the update...have a lovely weekend!
@mandasmom
 
Thank you!!! I didn’t even think about it being a month, but yes 4.5 weeks!!

The primary appt went great, except I am now scheduling my mammogram, colonoscopy, and a pap… Ahhh! I go back to her in a year unless she sees something from those.

My scar is fading, a bit lumpy but fading! I can even massage it a bit. The issue I have is that it itches deep inside and I can’t find the spot through the numbness to scratch it!! Hence the massaging!

My husband and I have decided that the more busy I am in life, the less often I’m gonna walk the .5 miles. I have done it four times though and plan to do it tomorrow before church. (Now it’s out there and I have to do it!)

I did start working from home this week. Wednesday, I went in and met with my principal. I will “officially” be done working with 3rd grade this year… It doesn’t mean I won’t be helping behind the scenes! I am the 1st-5th grade Art teacher and HS academic advisor. Since I am off on Fridays, I am writing a proposal to be a 3rd-5th grade resource teacher for Language Arts and Arithmetic ~ much needed!!

So, life gets somewhat back to normal??? Except that I am not in and out of town for the summer! Mission trip, camp with youth, camp with elementary… (I did have a fleeting thought about that one next week, but it’s a-lot of hills!!)

Baby Steps!!! I need to remember Baby Steps!!!

Again!! Thank you for checking in on me!!!

Christy
TLHR 6/5/17
TRHR 6/5/24~ Day 31
 
:egypdance: The kind of update we love to read!!!!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We haven't heard from you in awhile.
Hopefully your progress is steady and you're slowly getting back to normal. We'd love to hear from you!
@mandasmom
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom