Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
United States United States
Howdy Sistersinhim!

You are quite funny. In fact, this group provides hope, love, support, and many laughs when possible. As I said earlier, IF I DO NOT LIKE HIS ATTITUDE in two weeks, I may Just LEAVE. :kickedout:

But then what do I do? I may not like his mouth but who looks after my knee for infection or otherwise?

Take care and thanks for your support.
Mamie

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Howdy Jockette. If I did not reply forgive me. Your story made me angry for you and upset that we may live in either a massagist or terrorist society! How we can continue to hurt one another in the name of progress or medical is beyond me. I was an Encephaographer for many years so to insert the needles under someone's scalp made me crazy. I quit and began using paste. Messier and time- consuming but knew I did not have to hurt anyone. There is always more than one way to do anything so why not? I hope your PTSD from this awful terrorist or others won't stay around much longer.

Thank you for every comment, your share, and your support. :happydance:
Mamie

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
He was so angry about not seeing it at my post-op he removed my leg from the wheelchair foot support and let it drop...no brace or support! He hurt me and left the room. He was supposed to be first-rate and a god-fearing surgeon with a compassionate heart:xmark:.WHERE?
This is a most unprofessional way to treat a patient. If this ever happened to me, I would never allow him to touch me again.

I’m going to be really careful in the future, who I see about my knee, if it needs more attention. It definitely won’t be the surgeon who did my surgery. Thankfully, I live less than 2 hours from Philadelphia, so I should have options. I will interview them for the job of taking care of me.

I can’t express enough how bad I feel about the treatment you are getting from a medical team.:console2:

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Good morning Jockette

I am seriously trying to figure out who would take on looking after me until my surgical area is free from possible infections. Thst behavior was it for me. Someone said he was having a bad day but I really don’t give a :censored: I never took my bad days Out on my customers when in business. I have a feeling it will happen again if not at 90 degrees in less than two weeks.
Well, it’s been a long night so I am off to sleep now that my leg finally stop screaming! See you later.
Mamie

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Oops...I hope you never need another knee surgery. Even if you interview zi would not wish this surgery on my worst enemy. It’s difficult at best.
Goodnight. :sleep:

sistersinhim

Country
2) TED Hose was to be put on before leaving the surgery room-THEY FORGET MINE
I have never had to wear TEDS. They are used for patients that would be pretty sedentary and my OSs knew I would be moving around. It sounds like you're moving around a lot too, so probably never needed them anyway.
4) AFTER DISCHARGE-When PT first came, it was 4 days later. THEY FORGOT TO ORDER PT.
I had one PT visit in the hospital where she tried and push my foot back with her foot and I looked her straight in the eyes and told her, "NO!". She said she was going to tell on me and I told her to go ahead. I had 2 OT visits which were no problem. At home-PT came before I had a chance to cancel it. She watched my gait and checked for trip hazards. Then she watched me bend and reached out to try and push me further. I told her no, and she said she'd report me for being non-compliant. I also told her to go ahead. What was he going to do, send me to the principle's office or spank me! I had no more PT at all after that.

At my first month check-up, my OS never said one word about me not taking PT. He asked to see how I could bend and checked my extension, which was slow coming in and not close to what it was supposed to be. He said that needed improvement over the months. That's all. He gave me a prescription for PT, which I threw away. At the follow-up visits he again didn't mention PT.

As I said earlier, IF I DO NOT LIKE HIS ATTITUDE in two weeks, I may Just LEAVE.
Just cancel your next appointment. You don't have to go unless you have a problem that you're concerned about and need his services. Just call and cancel and tell them you'll reschedule at another time. Why put yourself and knee through the stress of travel and the worry of his reaction when you don't have to? I saw my OS just 3 times, 1st at 5 weeks, 2nd at 6 months, and the last, around a year. That's all. You don't have to go every time he wants you to go unless you feel there's a really good reason to go. Your knee knows perfectly well how to heal itself without a doctor telling it how. God made our bodies fearfully and wonderfully made!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Your surgeon is responsible for your aftercare and you should try to stick with him for the few checkup appointments that you need after surgery. Normally that would be at 6 weeks, then again about 6 months, and a final appointment at 1 year. I know that may be difficult when he is nasty to you, but you are paying for these appointments through your insurance and it is helpful to have an experienced eyeball take a look at your knee for the first year. You know now what you may face with the surgeon, so just go prepared to deal with him. He can throw a temper tantrum, but it doesn't matter if you don't let it get to you. Your only other option if you had a concern would be to go to your GP. That's not a very good option for orthopedic issues. After a year you can find a new orthopedic surgeon as most will take patients who are at least a year out from surgery.

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Hello SistersInHim!
My surgeon knew I would not be active as he knows what I do. Being a writer, movement is not much and why we had a plan prior to surgery which was his job to carry out. Plus he knew I had just gotten over a bad gastroparesis attack and would likely be drained not wanting to do much. Lastly, we discussed the hose prior and because of my problems with water retention in the past, the hose was to protect me as I have Pulmonary Hypertension anyway and history from pneumonia four years ago.

So many errors had happened but this is probably the most serious as my therapy has been hampered from so much fluid on my leg. My foot would not even fit in a shoe 4 times larger than my shoe size. I could not get into any pants as my leg blew up 3 times its size. When measured my knee was 3-1/2 times larger than the other knee.

My blood pressure in the dangerous territory from the pain of swelling and of course, the surgery. He saw the swelling and commented it was one of the worst!

In recovery, when I woke, I screamed as my foot/leg was so swollen it felt as though someone had taken an ax to chop off my foot.

He was neglectful in so many ways and I do not care about most of it except the errors made which caused me so much pain. I have lost two weeks so far from swelling that will not allow my knee to bend. The therapist has said the TED hose would have avoided this problem and my surgeon said it too. Yet made me wait another week because they would not mail them nor call in an RX so we could buy them somewhere.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I am happy you were not as miserable and healing well. I am praying for the same but I have been told I lost precious time towards total recovery. I won't give up and I will follow suggestions here.

God Bless you and keep you safe.

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Hello Jamie,

Thank you for your advice and support. I have decided to stay with him due to my other medical problems. My resistance is lower now and I have many issues to protect, so until I am safe, I will just make him realize he will not force me into anything we feel is wrong for my body.

Good night
Mamie

sistersinhim

Country
I understand things so much better now. It's good that your doctor is aware of your other problems. It's unacceptable the way he neglected the things that you needed. Now that you are in control of your care, make sure you are your own advocate and get what you need.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I have been told I lost precious time towards total recovery.
Don't worry about losing time. Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year. There's no deadline you have to meet, so you have plenty of time. You may be off to a slow start, but over the course of a full year a week or two becomes less important.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. You don't have to keep up with anyone's agenda.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Hello. My surgeon called me today in response to a questionnaire I completed for the hospital. He did some back peddling but stayed firm that I needed 90 degrees by next week. I am at 49.5 now. He is ending home health and sending me to outpatient therapy come Monday or next week says that they have equipment that will get my knee where it belongs. I told him IF I go, I will not allow some therapist to torture me. Swelling needs to get out first. Thank you for your support. Other than prayers for this group, what may I do to support you?

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Mamie, you are so kind to ask how you might help BoneSmart. You can always make donations using the link at the top of the page. We are a non-profit organization staffed primarily by volunteers, but we depend almost entirely on donations to pay for the expenses involved with running a robust website, forum, and educational events like our Ask the Expert coming up tomorrow (August 1, 2020).

I love your moxie dealing with your surgeon these days. You definitely have the right idea for your recovery now. I have no doubt that you will be successful. I hope if you decide to do the outpatient therapy that you don't have to drive too far. That can be tough on a still-swollen knee.

sistersinhim

Country
I'm so proud of your standing up for yourself and your knee! Bad PT is much worse than no therapy!
Slow and easy=a better recovery.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I don't know why your OS is pushing the panic button. 90 degrees by next week? :rotfl: Sometimes surgeons don't have a clue.

Just keep focusing on ice and elevation 90% of the time along with gentle motions. I think I've said this before but what worked for me was a few heel slides over the course of the day, rather than one or two big sessions.

For further proof that the swelling keeps you from bending: (You get it, but for others who may be reading your thread)--I had pretty much plateaued in week 3-4 due to swelling.
One thing my PT did with my second knee was to use a special icing machine for about 15 minutes of each PT session. She measured my knee before and after and there was a difference--possibly millimeters, I don't remember, but it was measureable. Also, I could bend more after the icing session than before.

This wasn't a miracle "cure" that held, but gradually, with icing at home (and gentle exercises) the swelling came down and I achieved 90 by 6 weeks. After 6 weeks I continued to gain bend.

If an ice/compression machine is what your surgeon means by "equipment" at PT, that may be fine. An exercise bike can be helpful--starting out just getting feet on the pedals and rocking back and forth. The PT might be able to help with compression advice--mine had me use something called Tubigrip.
PT can be helpful, but as you say, be wary if they start pushing something aggressive.

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Thank you Kneeper!

I use the Breg Polar Ice machine and it works great especially for overnight.
No, he was not speaking of PT for ice. He wants them to force bend my knee for HIS 90 degrees. The first time they try against my instructions, I quit! I can barely deal with my pain. It is all day every day so I do whatever else I can to distract my brain to think about something else.

Question:

I have been reading all the different recommendations for PT but done seem to be for Total Knee Revisions. If they are different, would someone please tell me if they are available here somewhere and links to find it? Today I am having a difficult time with swelling and pain. I am 2 weeks post-op.

Thank you
Mamie

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Jamie, We are a bit short as I donate all my proceeds from what I do to charities. I will as soon as possible shift some of it here. But I have a huge amount of work to complete before I am able.

As usual, your support is so appreciated and I thank you and others so very much. I do want to give back any way possible.

Do you know if a sling for under the desk really works? It would be nice to get back to my desk? If it works and anyone has a link to which one is best, please share it.

Mamie

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
have been reading all the different recommendations for PT but done seem to be for Total Knee Revisions. I
Since the recoveries are very similar, the recommendations are the same.

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
I found this link on Amazon for a sling. Does anyone know if its any good? Or god to even use?
Thank You
Mamie

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lyndsie1996
Recent bookmarks