Revision TKR Maltracking Patella

The knee is loose in the upper part on one corner. She said that it will need a revision at some point, and left it up to me whether I had enough pain now to go thru the surgery now or let it go and see how it does.

I'd cancel your surgery if I were you and suggest that you go to a new doctor that specializes in problem knees. It sounds like you need more than just a larger spacer since another part of the implant is loose also. You should find a doctor that has no connection with your current doctor, not even casually. If he/she asks who your current doctor is just refuse to tell them. You need someone with a completely new set of eyes to look at your knee.
 
Just to clarify, @Wood man :
Is your new surgeon planning to replace the metal components of your TKR with a larger size implant, or just put in a thicker spacer?

From your previous post, it sounds as if one of the metal components is loose and needs replacing. It's not a good idea to leave that as it is, because it could eventually cause some damage to the bone.

Do make sure you ask your surgeon exactly what she plans to do.
 
Hi , it’s not a loose spacer, that got fixed in March of 2020. The implant is loose in the upper bone. She is planning on replacing the implant with a larger size one.
 
Thank you for clarifying, @Wood man . That's what seems to be necessary. When your surgeon said she would replace your current implant with a larger one, I wonder if she meant one with a longer stem. That could possibly make it more stable.

Your thread title is a bit confusing now, since it's not the spacer being replaced this time. Can we change it to something like "Knee surgery for loose hardware" ?
 
Sure that makes more sense. Sorry for the confusion
 
No worries. I've changed your thread title.

I hope your appointment with your surgeon goes well on the 12th.
Write down any questions you have, so you don't forget them.
 
I apologize for not understanding what your next surgery was. I thought it was just the spacer being replaced again. It's good that it's for the implant revision since it is loose. That makes much more sense.
 
Thank you. So you think I’m ok with this surgeon?
 
Oh yes, I had just misunderstood you. A revision is what she's doing and what you need!
 
Ask your surgeon if he has done Revision surgery before, and how many times. Revision surgery is a lot more complex and difficult to carry out. Have a second or third opinion too.
 
I did ask her if she has done revision surgery before and she says she does sometimes 2 a week. She is a young doctor that has been doing knees and hips for about 5 years. She seems to have a good plan for me on Tuesday. She always answers my questions very good and seems to be very confident about this surgery.
 
Hi everyone, I just had my left total knee replacement revision today about 12 hours ago. I seem to be doing good with great pain control. I did not have a spinal because I have a lot of back problems with 5 back surgery’s in the past. But I did have a nerve block. I’m in my hospital room and the plan is to go home tomorrow if everything stays on track. I will keep everyone informed as much as I can.
 
Best wishes!

Here’s a refresher course for you of our guidelines:

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Hi everyone, I had my left knee revision on March 16th. I was in the hospital a total of about 32 hours. I came home on Wednesday afternoon. I have seen my home health nurse and had one visit from pt. He sai I’m doing really good. My flex was about 95 and straightening it was about 25. It feels so much better than before. I have no ankle swelling but it is wrapped up pretty good right now. I have been resting, elevating it and have a ice machine. I’m not in pain medicine most of the day and it seems fine.
 
Congratulations on your revision.
I'm glad everything is going well.
 
Yay, you're on this side of the surgery! Now, it's recovery time. Slow and easy wins this healing journey.
 
How did it go? Perhaps the surgeon felt that the original implant was too small?
Do you know what kind/brand you had first time around?
Hopefully you are on your way to a permanent recovery....
 
Hi The surgery has gone well so far. The new surgeon did put a larger implant in this time. The implant that was first put in was a Stryker implant. I just found out that Stryker has had recalls on some of their implants for them loosening. So this has gone pretty good. I have little swelling and great Mobley you with it. My flex right now is 130 and my extension is 20. My old knee did not ever feel as good as this one. I even told them I would like the old one back.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom