Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Maltracking Patella

I just found out that Stryker has had recalls on some of their implants for them loosening.
Just to reassure you:
All implant manufacturers have had recalls. They are for a wide variety of things and many times are voluntarily originated by the company themselves.

It's pretty difficult to say that loosening is the fault of an implant. In Stryker's case, it was thought their cement might be part of the problem. But it's misleading to say that a company had recalls because implant loosening, which tends to make people think there is a design flaw in the implant itself. That's not been the case in any implant hip or knee, other than the higher potential for wear with metal on metal hips. And even then, there are plenty of metal on metal hips that are okay. So even that is not absolute.

I have a Stryker Triathlon implant in each of my knees and they have been no trouble at all. One is 9 years old and the other is 5 years old.
 
There was a recall on my Depuy Attune implant for the cement problems, also. I've had no problem with mine, either. Like Celle said, all of them had have recalls on them.
 
Hi I’m back with a question I would like to throw out there. Has anyone’s pateala moved to the side of the knee after knee replacement?
 
@Wood man
We have had other members with a similar complaint.
Let your surgeon know. They may recommend PT for specific exercises, and McConnel taping to help your patella track properly.
Here is an article from the Library explaining patellar mal tracking, and other conditions that can occur with a patella.
Patella mal tracking and more

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Thanks,
Chris
 
Last edited:
Hi, I just saw this tread. I had TKR two years ago. Still not better. I had blood work and go for a bone scan Tuesday. It’s looking like a revision. I just hope it’s one stage!
it’s been a few months since your revision. I hope you’re doing better and have this behind you!
my new surgeon is a revision specialist. Do you have any words of wisdom from your experience?
Thanks
 
Hi thanks, it has been very enlightening to say the least. I had the first TKR March of 2019. Got better then the bomb dropped. Had a bone scan and found out the plastic piece was loose. Had that changed in March of 2020. Got better for awhile then the bomb dropped again. That doctor retired so I got a younger female doctor and went to her for a total other question and she said that the implant was loose and would need another surgery to replace the whole thing. So March of 2021 had it replaced again. It went really good and got better pretty fast . Then about 3 weeks ago I came in the house and saw a large lump sticking out of my knee cap. About 3 hours later it went away but I had pain back in my knee again. I got an x-ray and my patella in the replacement leg is now over on the side of my new knee.
 
I would find out how many revisions he or she has done. What do they say is wrong with your knee? You need to be comfortable with your surgeon. It seems for me it might be just bad bad luck, but I’m going to physical therapy tomorrow to talk to them. I don’t have a lot of faith that they can get this thing back where it belongs. Please keep me informed on what is going on with you. It is always nice to talk to someone going thru the same kinda thing.
 
Hi everyone, I had an x-ray of my knee and you could see how far the patella was off to one side. The surgeon is having me go to physical therapy tomorrow. This knee is very painful and hard to walk with. I am beside myself. I’m just not sure what to do. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but not sure I can take this pain for 4-6 weeks of therapy. Any opinions or help for me would be appreciated. You guys are the best. Thanks
 
she said that the implant was loose and would need another surgery to replace the whole thing. So March of 21 had it replaced again. It went really good and got better pretty fast . Then about 3 weeks ago I came in the house and saw a large lump sticking out of my knee cap. About 3 hours later it went away but I had pain back in my knee again. I got an ex ray and my patella in the replacement leg is now over on the side of my new knee.
Do you feel the patella has been out of place since the surgery, even though you’ve only felt the symptoms the last few weeks?
 
No I believe the patella was fine until 3 weeks ago
 
Wow, that’s very unsettling. Be careful at PT when addressing it.
 
I just did physical therapy and she said she thinks we can get it back to normal of course I just don’t know after all that has happened to it
 
Time will tell. I hope it works out well for you.
 
Hi everyone, I thought I would update with all that has been going on. I started physical therapy last week, and it went well for 2 times. Then I went last Friday and after I left therapy my leg swelled up and I could barely walk on it. All weekend it was bad . When I went to physical therapy on Monday I told the therapist what had happened and she said she would back the work out down. So after I left my knee swelled way up again and I couldn’t walk on it. My wife called the surgeon and they have scheduled a MRI for June 10th and have stopped all therapy. I just can’t believe one person could have this much bad luck. I’m not sure what to do from here.
 
@Wood man
Sorry to hear you leg is so swollen and painful. I agree stop all therapy, and Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate as prescribed.
The walking you do around your house is enough right now. This is your time to let you knee heal.
Glad you are having an MRI.

Good luck on the 10th!
 
Monday I told the therapist what had happened and she said she would back the work out down.
What did that workout include? Some of the formal PT routines are not in a healing knee’s best interest, as not all PTs are created equal.

The following is what one of our members, TortiTabby, experienced. While her main emphasis is about ROM, it could also apply to strength training too early.

(Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living.)

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."
It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:“

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance: “
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom