Guest viewing is limited

THR Magsmom’s recovery thread

And btw, after seeing her go through a knee revision, I really wanted to avoid it on my own left TKR. It healed in a way that I’ve never been able to fully extend my leg. It was stuck at 11-12 degrees. Doesn’t sound like much but it is. And swollen/full of fluid 2+ years later. Huh??

So off I I went back to HSS (again!). Infection was immediately ruled out after aspirating it (whew). However the surgeon I saw indicated a revision was likely the only way he could get me full extension and even then, no guarantees.

But in looking at some full body scans and other pictures we saw what a mess my hips were. Tilted, bone spurs etc etc. So we all agreed we needed to get my hips right first before tackling the knee. The hope was that doing them first would help provide relief to the knee so that I am better “aligned”. At least, enough that I could avoid the revision.

Lefty was done first in September. And it was just freaky how much improvement we saw in my knee so quickly. Swelling was almost gone within 2-3 weeks and I’ve got the extension down to 5-6 degrees. Good with me. Sometimes good enough is good enough. I’m taking it and skipping the revision! Now just need to get both these hips healed……….and learning patience!
 
Aww, I love happy endings! May she live in good health and all her dreams come true. Such a remarkable story. Thanks for sharing, we need these little reminders at times how fragile and precious life can be.
@Magsmom
 
Sometimes good enough is good enough.
I love this! It reminds me of something a member once said and I believe it was Irish Joe, years ago. He said if he’s only ever 90 some % he’d take it. I believe we all agree as we’re dealing with aging bodies and sadly, they’re going to break down. My surgeon‘s PA reminded me that while the prosthetic gets close, it will never match my natural hip. So I agree “sometimes good enough, IS good enough.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary for, Righty, and belated Five Month wishes for, Lefty!
I hope all is going well, your two new hips are living in harmony and you continue to enjoy steady progress.
Have a nice Sunday and a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Magsmom
 
Thank you Layla.
Lefty feels great. Rightie has been more challenging and taking longer but the progress is there. It’s just sloooooower.

I had my follow up with OS at 7 weeks on Feb 17th. He was really happy with how things look, my gait etc and has cleared me to start physical therapy.

The thing I’m happiest about is that getting my hips done properly has helped my left TKR which was a problem for 2+ years. Despite 2 MUAs and an arthroscopic clean out of scar tissue, I just could not fully extend my leg. It was stuck at 10-11 degrees which doesn’t sound like much but it’s alot. At first I was headed for a revision of the knee (blech). It was so full of fluid and hot But we had it was aspirated and cultured for 2 weeks. Nothing grew so no infection. Whew!

But miraculously, soon after Lefty was done, the swelling in that knee drained, the heat dissipated and I picked up 5-6 degrees of extension. That’s good enough for me to live with so the knee revision is no longer on the table. Such a happy outcome and a huge relief.

It’s funny how we think this is such a large world but it’s really not….. I’ve seen threads and comments from people who live near me and some from where I grew up! Turns out @Onestepatatime and I live about 6 miles from each other so we met for lunch today! And @Denpucc1 lives in upstate NY very near where I grew up. So funny the connections we make.
 
:wave:Hey @Magsmom What a bonus to the new hips….a knee that quit misbehaving! I can imagine the relief you’re feeling in the absence of thoughts of revision. :yahoo:
Hopefully this makes your recovery feel more relaxed. How fun that you and (Onestepatatime) are so close and were able to meet for lunch. So many great people on this forum. Glad you two were able to get to know each other a bit and share a meal together.
I hope your week is a good one! :)
 
I’m so glad you are healing well! You’ve been through so much. Having such a positive outlook is so brave!
 
Ohhh you’re sweet, thank you.
Brave? Not so sure …… I’ve had plenty of pity parties……“Oh why is all this happening to me??” But I do know that when I get knocked down, I just keep getting back up. It’s about the only thing I know to do - like it was preprogrammed in me. And, I try really hard to focus on what I’m grateful for (for example - great medical care, the option to retire early as I did, wonderful neighbors in the community we moved to, the ability to go to the beach whenever I want, an incredibly supportive spouse …) vs the orthopedic and other disasters I’ve had to confront.
My father was a Marine and, I think, instilled in me a real discipline and focus. It has paid off.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope you’re doing well @Magsmom and enjoying the warmer temps that Spring brings. Haven’t heard from you in awhile. Hopefully you’re feeling stronger month by month with those two new hips and getting back to all the things you love.
Take good care!
 
Hi thank you Layla. While a bit more challenging than the left, Righty is coming along nicely.
Unfortunately I’m now dealing with a recalled part in my knee implant…..more on this in the knee section!
 
Ugh! I’m so sorry to read this about your knee. I’ll go catch up by checking your post on the Knee forum. What disappointing news to hear during your recovery.
We’re here for support always. :console2:
@Magsmom
 
Back
Top Bottom